R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default New to 1/8 nitro buggy racing

im sure you guys get tired of seeing these posts, but i would appreciate any input you experienced folks care to give. ive already decided that i am getting either a oddonnell or mugen mbx6. but i have no clue on what servos, transmitter/receiver, or motor and pipe to run. i want to do it right and will most more than likely buy new versus used. i have raced high horsepower 2cycle karts run on alcohol on dirt ovals for ten years. so i have the basic concepts of tuning. just looking for some good suggestions, thank you in advance!

brian alderman
Brian Alderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only thing I can tell ya Is hang on. It's going to be one hellava ride.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

As far as servos, any of the high end Futaba, Hitec, or Airtronics servos would be my reccomendations. For steering .15 to .09 transit time (faster is better) with at least 180 oz-in of torque. For throttle .12 to .08 transit time (faster is better) with at least 150 oz-in of torque. I would also recommend digital coreless servos. These will probably run around $120 each, but servos are the one place you don't want to skimp!

As far as transmitters, I would recommend the Futaba 3PM FASST or Spektrum DX3S for the low end transmitters and a Futaba 3PK or Airtronics M11 x for high end transmitters. They all come with receivers so you won't have to worry about getting more until you get more vehicles.

As far as motors, I would recommend the Novarossi b21f for you first niro mill. It is a lower cost engine ($180) and won't have you cussing too bad trying to chase a tune .
Old 06-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Tech Master

thanks for the info, that was greatly appreciated!
Old 06-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Coming from a budget racers point of view. Good budget servos are the ACE servos. They are strong as heck and fast. Spectrum Transmitters are always a good option and if you don't want to spend too much cash the DX3.0 are a good way to go. The DX3S is a little more expensive. A good engine to begin with if you want lots of power is your standard OS V-Spec. If you want something more tame go for the Novarossi b21f or even Axe Rossi Sport. A good pipe is the Jammin JP-4 but it does depend on what size track you will be racing on. If you are willing to fork out the cash then Focusprinting's options are the better options.
'If you have nothing useful or funny to say in a forum don't say it, it saves sifting through the c*@p'- Still people don't listen..lol
AusAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Tech Regular

And my personal opinion would be the MBX-6 over the O'Donnell.
'If you have nothing useful or funny to say in a forum don't say it, it saves sifting through the c*@p'- Still people don't listen..lol
AusAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Alderman View Post
im sure you guys get tired of seeing these posts, but i would appreciate any input you experienced folks care to give. ive already decided that i am getting either a oddonnell or mugen mbx6. but i have no clue on what servos, transmitter/receiver, or motor and pipe to run. i want to do it right and will most more than likely buy new versus used. i have raced high horsepower 2cycle karts run on alcohol on dirt ovals for ten years. so i have the basic concepts of tuning. just looking for some good suggestions, thank you in advance!

brian alderman
mbx6+2 good hitech servos(for $100 cant beat them)+jammin jpx21(great engine for about$225) for transmitter id go to track and check some out to see what you prefer. i use a dx3r cause its light and comfortable as well as very easy to use. also grab an ofna truggy starter box+gel cel with wall charger
find a matching dynamite pipe for the jpx for $50 and all for under $1400 youll be rockin
Old 06-20-2009, 01:03 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

As far as a radio get something in the 2.4 ghz line. For servos IMO you can't do better than hitec. Somthing that many people don't know is that the Tower Hobbies servos are made by Hitec. The ts-170 is the same as the hitec 330 oz. servo and it is about $30 cheaper. Also the RB line of motors are awsome. They are nova based and will last forever, and they tune easy.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i would also go with the mbx6 between your 2 choices. ace and hitec servos are both worth your money, and adleaset get a good steering servo, if nothing else. a werks b3 is a great engine to start with as it has great low end , almost tunes itself and comes with a rear ceramic bearing for $200 at amain hobbies.to many people spend to much money on over powered , over priced engines when they start out with a pro kit in this hobby. ive seen people who would be far better served with something more drivable to start out with. a 086 or 053 pipe from ether dynamite or ofna would go well with the engine and would not set you back much.
2.4ghz anything will do and the more you spend the better it gets. if you plan on possibly a 2nd car down the road a better remote is a good idea for more model memory.
i would also recommed AKA tires. medium cityblocks are a good choice. tires can make all the difference so dont forget to look into it.
get the ofna truggy starter box ,nothing else.
good luck.
dandrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Plus 1 mbx6!
"I know I can't drive!! You still ACT like you can!!"
JPierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Alderman View Post

brian alderman
well it really depends on what you plan on doing with it. If you wanna race and jump it, then you gonna want strong steering servos like the hitec 645mg. But if your just gonna play around with it then you shoudnt worry about spending that much on it

hope this helps
davidg01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:09 AM   #12
Tech Master

thanks once again guys for all of the input. i just sold all of the karting stuff saturday and got some rc stuff on trade. looks like some sort of carpet car that has a futaba 3pk radio but it is fm and has crystals in it, looks very nice but can it be upgraded to 2.4ghz?
Old 06-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

You can upgrade the 3PK to 2.4 GHZ using this http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...taba-3PK-Hitec which is a great deal.

RC8T-RB S3-Hitec Servos- Spektrum
beginner4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Radio:
M8 with regular spektrum module and receiver: many adjustments & function if you can use them all...
DX3.0: slowest response I have ever used...budget buy, receivers are easy to find if you plan to buy more than 1 units..limited functions
3PM: very light, a lit faster than DX3.0; cheap to begin with; receivers are a bit expensive as they are harder to find

Motor:
Stick with RB..
xxx123 is offline   Reply With Quote