R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default Disaseembling and reassembling 1/8 nitro cars

Hello all,

I at the type who learns best by doing so I wanted to buy a kit and build it from scratch. Unfortunately, the Losi 8ight RTR 2.0 was just too good a deal comparatively so I went with that instead.

Now I am trying to figure out the best way to learn about the various components of the car. Naturally it would be to disassemble it and reassemable it, but I don't have the stones to do that to the $700 investment.

Are there other ways that I can learn this stuff like to buy a used potentially even broken car and play with it.

Or is it just a matter of me growing a pair and using the Losi?

Thanks a lot.
Garet Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garet Jax View Post
Hello all,

I at the type who learns best by doing so I wanted to buy a kit and build it from scratch. Unfortunately, the Losi 8ight RTR 2.0 was just too good a deal comparatively so I went with that instead.

Now I am trying to figure out the best way to learn about the various components of the car. Naturally it would be to disassemble it and reassemable it, but I don't have the stones to do that to the $700 investment.

Are there other ways that I can learn this stuff like to buy a used potentially even broken car and play with it.

Or is it just a matter of me growing a pair and using the Losi?

Thanks a lot.
The easiest way it to just work on your new one. The manual has a parts explosion which tells you were everything goes if you do get confused.

Start with the easy stuff, like taking the shocks off and checking the oil levels, then the front/rear diff and the center diff.

Just do one section at a time and soon you will see how they all flow together. It's not rocket science, I'm sure you will make out fine.
www.rcgears.net, www.carcar.ca, www.karz.ca
Akhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Yea best bet.. is to start off SLOW- make sure your not going to be using it the night before.. do small bits at a time. When starting out, do for instance the front section slowly.. or centre or back. So that way, you have a smaller pile of screws ect.. and it will be easier to learn what goes where ect.. So do sections at a time, Dont strip it down completely.. thn leave it 2 days.. as you will have forgotten where most go. And take hours trying to look at manual and work it all out again. Small section, rest.. small section rest.. best way IMO

=Grow A Pair
jamiekerr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

The Weapons Master would never be afraid

listen to jamie and do 1 section at a time, front or rear etc
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Become familiar with all the parts and pieces first by looking at the manual and your Losi. Work slowly like the others have said in an unrushed manner.

Perhaps start with taking the radio tray, fuel tank, and engine out. These are things that you will remove often for cleaning. Once these are off you will see how the other parts assemblies are installed.

The front section comes off as one big chunk as does the middle and back. Work on these one at a time. The middle and rear have the least pieces. The front has the most due to the steering parts.

Have a pal available just in case you need guidance. Use an egg carton for seperating the screws and nuts. Perhaps take some photos before so you can see how parts fit together better.

It is all easy once you do it a time or two.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

You can learn the way I did..I started with RTR's also..As things broke, I was forced to replace them, and when it needed a good cleaning I was forced to disassemble...after a couple of months I was a pro at it, its not eggshells, the pieces dont crumble if you take a screw out. The most satisfying thing is when you reach the point that you can do it with you eyes close, and You actually know the sizes of all the screw heads!! You dont have to try 3 Hex wrenches to see which one fits

The best advice I can give you, is not to overtighten the screws that thread into plastic! and use threadlock on all the screws that thread into metal..Vibrations will make screws come loose
Old 06-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post

The best advice I can give you, is not to overtighten the screws that thread into plastic! and use threadlock on all the screws that thread into metal..Vibrations will make screws come loose
+1 when a screw bottoms out in the plastic feel free to snug it up a 1/16 turn or so, but no more. otherwise you end up wearing out the plastic threads and then soon find your self with screws falling out.

learn first to remove the major components: the front and rear clips of the car, the radio tray, and motor. you will be suprised how quickly things come apart in big easy pieces.

If you are going to race you better learn how to tear that thing apart in your sleep. cause if you break in between heats and only have a 1/2 hour to get things right....well...
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I have found that when I remove a screw I will put it back in the spot
that it came out of. It may tack a little longer but you will not lose
or mix them up when you go to put it all back together I find this to
help out when i strip the car to the chassis all in one shot which I
do every week then you have four parts front end middle back end
and motor / pipe work on one section at a time then reinstall each
section on to the chassis as you go
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

The way Ive learned is when you break somthing you have to fix it. The only bad thing is if your racing and you need to fix somthing if you have done it before you can do it better/faster the next time and it sucks to be forced to learn when your rushed.

Few things as well as what was talked about above.

Somthing easy to do is look at the parts diagram for a basic idea of how everything is.

8ights are very easy to work with. I can clean my hole car in about 1 hr taking my time with a simple break down. pull the motor pipe electronics tray out. wash everything down and put it back together. This also gives you a better view of the rest of the parts and opens everything up to work on.

Then work on set up adjustments shock fluids start with the basics.

Also have fun with it thats a killer setup right out of the box!!!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What I do with a car is this:

Get a notepad and about 20 medicine cups. Label each cup with a number.

I then choose a side of the car and start taking it apart. So as an example I would take apart the front left suspension, and place the screws and small parts in a cup and then on the note pad write down what is in cup one and any other notes.

I repeat this process for all sections of the car that I dismantle.

Putting everything back together is a breeze if you take good notes.
Galeleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

take the car apart for maintenance when needed, BUT, when you put it back, make sure it's put back correctly by using the manual and following directions. pay key attention to the orientation and order of how things are supposed to put back together. if you do this enough times, you'll start learning how things are supposed to go together and also start learning about what each little part does.

EDIT: also get yourself a screw kit! when you're taking it apart or putting things back together, it's not at all impossible that you'll drop a screw and lose it somewhere. you don't want this to be a show stopper so get yourself a screw kit so that you have spares.

Last edited by unsp0ken; 06-22-2009 at 11:29 AM.
unsp0ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Buy good tools, such as EDS/Hudy. They have ground tips, so fit a lot better than normal tools. Removing rounded off bolts is not fun!
Old 06-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to fullout

These cars aren't space shuttles. I break it down into basic categories. Most 1/8 scale buggies are built so that all the electronics come out in one piece, then there is the motor/pipe, then the fuel tank then the chassis.

As far as electronics just make sure its all fairly clean and operational. Motor pipe, just make sure filter is clean and wipe down motor. Fuel tank just wipe it down. The chassis is a tad more complicated, but it can also be broken down into front end rear end and central.

What i do is work on the front then the middle then the rear, that way you don't mix up parts.

And by the way expect to do this basically weekly.

enjoy.
fullout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullout View Post
These cars aren't space shuttles.
^^^ that pretty much says it.

Just grow a pair, take it all apart, put all parts/screws/springs into one big pile, and make your way from there.

in about an hour or two tops you'll have figured out all the workings
spawn_x is offline   Reply With Quote