R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #16
Tech Regular
 
AutieBender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: the Pit.
Posts: 428
Default

Wowwwww I have snapped ears off the case, cracked the case along the bottom, Blown a hole in the side of the case and now you put force on the motor and the thing disinegrated. V specs definetly have a case problem. And there front bearing leak. My EB mods v spec came with ceramic special sealed bearings... still leaked. Motor has constant air leaks, runs hot, flames out.

My new novarossi is PERECT! Douglas why dont you just run plus 4 like your dad? Hasnt he been having WAY less problems than when he ran v spec? Also my sirio ran good.
__________________
Team Losi/Novarossi/Losi Tires/Nitrotane/JR propo/Upgrade Graphics
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Quicks R/C Hobby Shop
Surprise, Arizona
AutieBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #17
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

your Sirio ran good till you blew it up! When in doubt lean it out, till it grenades!
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #18
Tech Regular
 
slumlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 455
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Don't mean to hi-jack your thread Doug but I have a quick question about my V-Spec as well!

I just had a mild pinch done to the sleeve, I'm doing the break in on it and it seems like when I let off the gas when I'm buzzing around the parking lot it is almost jake braking. It makes this puttering noise like your car would if you had a standard trans and let off the gas while in a low gear.

I have never heard an engine do this before, it seems rather odd. Also forgot to metion it's installed in a Losi 2.0T with a fresh clutch.
__________________
Jay Stuart #66
slumlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #19
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

What kind of temps are you at..maybe the piston is sticking in the sleeve?

Is the piston skirt hitting something?

these are obviously just guesses...the only other thing that comes to mind is one of the bearings has a bad ball, which is jerking the shaft around

did you take it apart and check it?
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #20
Tech Regular
 
slumlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 455
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
What kind of temps are you at..maybe the piston is sticking in the sleeve?

Is the piston skirt hitting something?

these are obviously just guesses...the only other thing that comes to mind is one of the bearings has a bad ball, which is jerking the shaft around

did you take it apart and check it?
Temps are 220ish and it stops if I hit the brakes. It only does it if I give it a fair amount of gas and let it coast. But as I said the instant you brake it stops.

My initial guess is it's the front bearing, but it seems to run rather stable and at good temps and has insane power. So at this point it's hard to tell.
__________________
Jay Stuart #66
slumlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #21
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

GRP engine tooling kit will solve all of your problems. And get one while you still can. GRP will no longer be making engines so I would assume they won't make the tooling kit either. Really saves a LOT of headaches.

As for your issue, you will need a new case. As jpalessi reccomended the ninja case is the best one. Speed and v-spec cases are basically the same(the carb pinch bolt is different). But if you can find a deal on a good condition v-spec case you should be fine. Just DON'T slap the engine on the exhaust port. To remove the bearings with the oven method, you should only hit the engine on the backplate.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #22
Tech Champion
 
losi_racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 6,470
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutieBender View Post
Wowwwww I have snapped ears off the case, cracked the case along the bottom, Blown a hole in the side of the case and now you put force on the motor and the thing disinegrated. V specs definetly have a case problem. And there front bearing leak. My EB mods v spec came with ceramic special sealed bearings... still leaked. Motor has constant air leaks, runs hot, flames out.

My new novarossi is PERECT! Douglas why dont you just run plus 4 like your dad? Hasnt he been having WAY less problems than when he ran v spec? Also my sirio ran good.
my dad had zero issues with his vspec. And im breakin the nova in saturday for the buggy cause bill from bce speed chassis chose me to do some testing at the pit with there new chassis. And i need a truggy motor cause when he gets the truggy chassis done im testing that as well
__________________

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #23
Tech Champion
 
losi_racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 6,470
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
GRP engine tooling kit will solve all of your problems. And get one while you still can. GRP will no longer be making engines so I would assume they won't make the tooling kit either. Really saves a LOT of headaches.

As for your issue, you will need a new case. As jpalessi reccomended the ninja case is the best one. Speed and v-spec cases are basically the same(the carb pinch bolt is different). But if you can find a deal on a good condition v-spec case you should be fine. Just DON'T slap the engine on the exhaust port. To remove the bearings with the oven method, you should only hit the engine on the backplate.
i didnt slap the exhaust port, it was the back plate area, and you said the speed case was the same except the pinch bolt, whats different
__________________

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #24
Tech Regular
 
Autie's Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Nitro Pit
Posts: 398
Default

My sirio had 6 gallons on it and still had machanical pinch. sometimes I'd have to use the heat gun just to start the thing. But in the main at nitro cross (the o-ring in my hsn was worn out) the highspeed needle screwed itself sll the way in and the motor just blew up. But it did not lean bog.

And after 6 gallons it did not flame out once!!!
__________________
Bruce Bender
Cigar Powered Nitro Losi 2.0
One Hobbies
Autie's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #25
Tech Champion
 
losi_racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 6,470
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autie's Dad View Post
My sirio had 6 gallons on it and still had machanical pinch. sometimes I'd have to use the heat gun just to start the thing. But in the main at nitro cross (the o-ring in my hsn was worn out) the highspeed needle screwed itself sll the way in and the motor just blew up. But it did not lean bog.

And after 6 gallons it did not flame out once!!!
didnt that happen to kenny as well? if the +4 preforms as good as people say ill be stickin with it
__________________

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #26
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
i didnt slap the exhaust port, it was the back plate area, and you said the speed case was the same except the pinch bolt, whats different
The speed pinch bolt is larger for some reason. So if you went to the speed case you would need to get the speed pinch bolt too.

As for hitting it, I really doubt it would just fall off without being dropped/slapped. It is weak metal, but still metal. Unles you had already cracked it earlier, it wouldn't just chip like that without some kind of impact.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #27
Tech Champion
 
losi_racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 6,470
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
The speed pinch bolt is larger for some reason. So if you went to the speed case you would need to get the speed pinch bolt too.

As for hitting it, I really doubt it would just fall off without being dropped/slapped. It is weak metal, but still metal. Unles you had already cracked it earlier, it wouldn't just chip like that without some kind of impact.
jammin, honestly, i had to put it in the oven for so long i think the case just got brital
__________________

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #28
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
jammin, honestly, i had to put it in the oven for so long i think the case just got brital
I see. Well again GRP bearing tool solves that problem. There are others too, that work very well. The GRP one is very nice and works with most sizes(above 13mm). no heating required!
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #29
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
no heating required!

Now you need to explain, how the GRP thingy gets the bearings out without expanding the case? The case is what holds the bearings in place

You have my interest. Please go on
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #30
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Now you need to explain, how the GRP thingy gets the bearings out without expanding the case? The case is what holds the bearings in place

You have my interest. Please go on
i would imagine it's like a gear puller, with a high torque pulling action similar to that of a come along.

Just a guess.
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Odonnell Buggy!!! Brad S. Nitro Off-Road 9373 06-03-2016 10:45 AM
Nitro On-Road Addict sa RC Manila Racers 12522 12-27-2015 05:51 PM
MAX POWER ENGINES Secret_weapon Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 334 08-29-2010 09:54 AM
Practice on a race motor? wick3dr00st3r Nitro Off-Road 24 01-09-2009 03:50 PM
5 cell in 27t/19t MR JOLLY Electric On-Road 451 03-15-2007 09:12 AM
Fantom Engine Manual = ABC Engine Bible Horatio Monster Trucks 9 02-05-2007 07:35 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:34 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net