R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Engine bearing replacement question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/305451-engine-bearing-replacement-question.html)

omarwashington 06-17-2009 06:31 PM

Engine bearing replacement question

Is it possible to only change the front engine bearing using the oven treatment method?
I’m pretty sure the rear bearing on the engine is still good.

Jaz240 06-17-2009 06:39 PM

Yes when you heat it up to put the new front bearing in, just re-insert the old rear one..Kinda silly though, spend the extra $20 and replace both Omar..dont take the chance. Usually both TKO's are $35 for most engines

JAMMINKRAZY 06-17-2009 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 5950562)
Yes when you heat it up to put the new front bearing in, just re-insert the old rear one..Kinda silly though, spend the extra $20 and replace both Omar..dont take the chance. Usually both TKO's are $35 for most engines

+1

Even if you "think" the rear bearing is good, it is worth changing it to a ceramic.:nod:

omarwashington 06-17-2009 07:05 PM

ya
i have new front and rear bearings, the rear one thats in there is ceramic and the new rear bearing is also ceramic. I just thought I'd save a few$$ by just replacing the front bearings.

Jaz240 06-17-2009 07:30 PM

If you are sure the rear bearing is good then just change the front. the heat wont hurt it..just stay under 300 degrees

Frank L 06-17-2009 10:16 PM

If you heat that engne up in the ovenxhances are that rear bearing will more than likely fall right out. GRP engine tool is all I need to say. If the rear bearing is good then yes just replace the front.

Jaz240 06-18-2009 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 5951700)
If you heat that engne up in the ovenxhances are that rear bearing will more than likely fall right out. GRP engine tool is all I need to say. If the rear bearing is good then yes just replace the front.

you will have to remove the rear bearing in order to get the front one out Frank, so even if it dont fall right out, He would still need to remove it, before he can swap out the front one. the front bearing will not fit through the hole in the rear bearing

losi_racer 06-18-2009 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 5951965)
you will have to remove the rear bearing in order to get the front one out Frank, so even if it dont fall right out, He would still need to remove it, before he can swap out the front one. the front bearing will not fit through the hole in the rear bearing

what are you talkin about james? you put the front bearing in thru the front, not thru the rear hole.

Frank L 06-18-2009 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 5951965)

I have used heat to remove the bearings several times and taken the font out without removing the rear. Am I missing something??

Jaz240 06-18-2009 08:52 AM

I"ve only had to do it twice, and both times after I heated I tapped the whole case on the counter and both bearings fell out the back.. I never realized you could take the front out only with a heat gun through the front...I learned something today..That's why I love this site!:nod: Thanks guys

dlb 10-09-2009 12:32 AM

Is it a bad idea to put some afterrun oil to help the new bearing to fall in place?

TonyNg 10-09-2009 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 5953203)
I"ve only had to do it twice, and both times after I heated I tapped the whole case on the counter and both bearings fell out the back.. I never realized you could take the front out only with a heat gun through the front...I learned something today..That's why I love this site!:nod: Thanks guys

That's impossible, you must be joking !. :confused:
The front bearing has a O.D. of 19mm,whereas the hole of the cranckcase for the crankshaft to go through from the rear bearing to the front bearing is only 15mm. Therefore, the front bearing can only fall out to the front.