Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Racing vs Backyard bashing >

Racing vs Backyard bashing

Racing vs Backyard bashing

Old 10-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Tech Adept

Default Racing vs Backyard bashing

Just curious to know some oppinion on the subject. First off I personaly do the backyard bashing its fun to just build and to make your own route I have been and seen quite a few of the races. But does racers of any class acctualy take note to the guy thats running his or her buggy or truggy in there backyard. They build a compition nitro down to the last spec just for fun. The racer you can tell they take it all in everything is serious I just realy wonder if some of the fun acctualy goes away, and is that not why we or anyone else actualy gets into it or does that go away with the racing compition end of it and then what once was a hobby for fun turns into a job.
Thanks to a few that has read my other post I have found alot of the ppl very helpful so far no negative input realy witch has made me like getting into it further and deeper that much more. I have just copleted my first 1/8 scale build Mugen MBX-6, Axe Rossi .21 Hi tec servos, and Futaba radio and reciver.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

the closest i get to bashing is when i'm breaking in an engine in front of my house. my cars only see the track, i also store them on car stands. this is just me, and with bashing being 90% of the market, i'm in the minority. i find fun in trying to decreese my lap times, not playing in my back yard.

jmo
Old 10-08-2009, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

It's all fun for me. Honestly I think alot of the fun comes from tearing down the vehicle after a race weekend or after a long bash session. I've got a truck I bash and a buggy I race
Old 10-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Bashing VS Racing - hummmmmmmmmmm - well Im with woodchuck - I dont bash and store my stuff on stands too..... I love racing, it is serious and it is fun...... its cool hearing 10-15 cars going at the same time and the race announcer calling your name - even if you are in last place. I actually like working on my car at home in between races - geting it set up for the next race. with bashing you just fuel and go....... I like having to hit the break to make that turn, hit the gas at the right moment to clear but not over shoot that big 40 foot quad tha goes right into a quick turn, which you haveto hit your breaks right the landing in order to make the turn........ bashing in a huge area with 2 or 3 people is just not for me......
Old 10-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

I only race and practice at the track. Bashing got too easy to entertain me after I started raceing. No challenge in being able to go wherever you want.

No better reward than seeing your lap times improve every weekend and feeling your car get dialed in more and more from wrenching between runs.

If I just want to kick back and have fun with an RC, then I fly my airplanes.

Cars and trucks are all about racing for me.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Kodiakbear, you have some hardcore equipment for a basher. Lots of people who race don't have gear like you. That's cool!

Anyways, I am a racer and my friends can tell you that I am a very patient guy. Probably one of the most patient guys you will ever meet. However, racing can get under my skin occasionally because things go wrong and your car doesn't run the way it should during a qualifier or main. After spending all week going over your car and making adjustments/replacing worn parts, you expect a car that is dialed. Then you go to the track and get your a$$ handed to you cause your car isn't running right. That is quite fustrating and when I walk off the stand it takes every bit of my being not to throw my radio. (keep in mind I am very patient)

I vow to sell all my gear and get out of the hobby. The next morning I am back in my trailer working on my car getting it ready for the next weekend. The fustration passes quickly and the excitment of winning a race sets in. I like most people got started with bashing, but I just got bored with running back and forth with no way to measure any improvement in my skills. Also, going to the track and hanging out with a bunch of people that love what you love is great. So, like everything, racing has it rewards and penalities, but all in all I think it is great.

I am curious, have you ever tried racing? If so, as a basher, what was your reaction to the competition? If not, your gear is definitely race worthy, find a track and give it a try and let us know what you think.

Last edited by petevette; 10-08-2009 at 08:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

for me it's all racing we humans are competitive by nature I enjoy the whole thing about it. bashing is fun but you don't get that same rush from when
your on the drivers stand with 10 guys that all want the same thing. to win
that main or get that bump to the A main. your so in to that moment in time for me I have raced in a lot of things cars,drag boats,bikes, I love that rush and the friends that you make along the way
Old 10-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I started bashing, but now it is all racing for me. After about 10 minutes, running my car up and down the street at 70+ gets a little old.

I used to race BMX competitively and racing was a way for me to get back on a track and be competitive without the aching body (although marhsalling can make you ache like no tomorrow).

I enjoy wrenching on my car and then trying to shave a few seconds off my lap times as well as just racing and talk sh*t with my buddies at the track.

I have been thinking about buying a heli or airplane for my "bashing" vehicle. My cars are pure race machines now. I rarely ever take them out in the street anymore unless I am just testing a new motor/speed control settings. Stored on car stands and the car is broken down completely nearly every other week or so.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Bashing gets pretty boring to me. Racing is amazing. Aside from actually being in a race, the track environment, competition, etc. is what keeps me coming back.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Racing all the way for me, I just don't find bashing to be fun or challenging any more. For me it's more fun to spend time with my friends at the track racing, practicing and mostly talking rubbsh.

I love the challenge of racing, and seeing how it's improving my driving and other RC skills. I've learned more in three years racing than I learned in 10 years of just bashing, and met some really good people in as well.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Most racers started out bashing (playing) with these things. Even when bashing in your own backyard you have a tendency to try and do it "better" "faster" even if you are alone. Invite a friend or 2 over and what do you do ?.....Race each other!!! I agree some "racers" might lose a little of the fun factor because they take it to serious. For me racing is bashing, it is just a little more structured.
Racing week in and week out is not a job for me, It is "bashing at the next level".
For me.....Just insert the word "playing" wherever the word "bashing" or "racing" goes.....and its all fun !!!
Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ive always been into racing. Ive found I am a very competitive person and bashing doesnt really hold my interest. We also dont have much space where I live to bash around without worrying about being hassled by the authorities.

Most racers dont take things too seriously although there are some who do. For the most part racers are still friendly and a lot of fun to hang out with. My closest competition are usually also my closest friends at the track.

I think you ought to try it. I recommend you do some preparations before you do. It seems as though you have done step one which is going to watch. If you hang out at the track for a while and get the feel for the way things are run and what is expected ahead of time as well and cruising around the pits meeting some of the racers you will be a lot better off when your finally ready to enter the race. Its also a good idea to get some practice time in on the track before the racing at a bare minimum show up first thing in the morning to run some laps. For nitro racing your going to need someone to pit your car. Either bring someone you know or hopefully you will have met someone at the track prior. Most guys will respond favorably if you ask for their help and offer your help. Sometimes this works out best for both parties as like I mentioned most of my closest comp is my friends meaning we almost always all end up in the same mains. The last thing you need to do is make sure your car is up to par and have some spare parts with you. Give it a good check over and shake it down on the track and do it again. Ive been racing for 10 years and still it seems every time I build a new car there are bugs that need to be shaken out after the first couple tanks. If you take it slow at first and gradually work on going faster without wrecking you will do well for yourself and the less amount of wrecking will lead to more finishes and better results.

I always try to have a good attitude about racing. The results are what they are as long as I finish my races without issue I am usually a happy guy.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
the closest i get to bashing is when i'm breaking in an engine in front of my house. my cars only see the track, i also store them on car stands. this is just me, and with bashing being 90% of the market, i'm in the minority. i find fun in trying to decreese my lap times, not playing in my back yard.

jmo
Same for me.

Now if I had a nice track in my backyard I'd build a car for some "bashing" on it
Old 10-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PTP Racing
Most racers dont take things too seriously although there are some who do. For the most part racers are still friendly and a lot of fun to hang out with. My closest competition are usually also my closest friends at the track.
So true!!! You kick there azz and rub it in, only to eat crow the next week when they wax you!!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I have a buggy and a truggy I race. I did get started with bashing however. It still has its fun. I love it in the winter in the snow. The only problem I have with bashing is I destroy something every other tank because I do stupid stuff. I get bored easy and trying to jump it onto somebody's roof just seems like the thing to do. Its also great for when a neighbor pisses me off. Then I just run the truck all day.

However racing is really fun as well. I love to tinker with stuff so having something to maintain isn't bad. And just like token said "its always cool to hear your name from the drivers stand". Racing against others is great because it brings bragging rights. You have the Great weekends and then you have the.... OK weekends, because for me as long as im running something I am happy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.