Wiki Posts
Search

Picco ~ Hard Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 02:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Picco ~ Hard Start

I just purchased a Picco Buggy and I have successfully broken in the engine....but it is a hard start....takes a while to get started and going and it takes a while to get warmed up enough to drive.

Is this normal?
Old 06-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Hi, you mean hard start is because your box cant spin your flywheel or it spin but hard to fire up? If cant spin mean your engine still got lot of pinch as it still new and this is good and it cant fire up i feel might be your LSN set too rich..........Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You should heat up your engine before you crank it up. If you cant keep the temps up then you have some tuning to do. With a pre-heated engine it is so much easier to crank and saves some wear on the engine. Its a must !!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If you were running rich during break in, you may try a new glow plug. That always seems to help me when my engines dont want to fire right up.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tkhoo
Hi, you mean hard start is because your box cant spin your flywheel or it spin but hard to fire up? If cant spin mean your engine still got lot of pinch as it still new and this is good and it cant fire up i feel might be your LSN set too rich..........Correct me if I am wrong.
Yeah...hard to fire up....the engine is still a little tight, but like you said that is good. I'll lean it out an hour or two and see if that does the trick.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by roadracer43
You should heat up your engine before you crank it up. If you cant keep the temps up then you have some tuning to do. With a pre-heated engine it is so much easier to crank and saves some wear on the engine. Its a must !!

???.....Are you saying to grab my heat gun and warm the engine with it...then fire it up?
Old 06-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCRat
???.....Are you saying to grab my heat gun and warm the engine with it...then fire it up?
Heat it, then try and start it.
Loosens the piston and sleeve up.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCRat
Yeah...hard to fire up....the engine is still a little tight, but like you said that is good. I'll lean it out an hour or two and see if that does the trick.
Yeah I wouldn't do that on a fresh motor with a tight pinch, it's not going to help the starting issue at all.

Just do as the others said and heat the engine up with the heat gun to about 200 before you start it and it should fire right up NP.