R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 265 (100%+)
Default King Headz Losi 8ight servo radio stray stiffener help

Is the King Headz Team Losi 8ight Radio Tray Stiffener good enough to fix the servo problems for the losi 8ight 1.0 buggy? Any info to set it up would be good.

Last edited by guss2009; 06-16-2009 at 10:39 AM.
guss2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Its kinda a temporary fix. Just get a 2.0 tray w/ 2.0 throttle linkage and be done with it.

I still have to change my 1.0s tray for the 2.0 one.
pyromania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromania View Post
Its kinda a temporary fix. Just get a 2.0 tray w/ 2.0 throttle linkage and be done with it.

I still have to change my 1.0s tray for the 2.0 one.
I bought the stiffner a while back and i havent put it on yet. So should i buy the 2.0 radio tray and the throttle linkage instead of putting the stiffner, wouldnt the stiffner be better by not letting the radio tray flex?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
Tech Elite

To answer the question NO - it will not fix at all.

the problem with the 1.0 radio tray is that the throttle servo slapps the chassis which causes problems. All you need to do is use the servo blocks that come with the tray, along with the rubber ends in which the screw goes through. All you need to do is rasie the servo up so that it is not touching the chassis,

Second - set your EPS so the radio tray do not flex.

Or get the 2.0 tray
Old 06-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yeah it will fix all of your problems. There are many of us that ran the stiffener on the 1.0 and never had one single servo issue, myself included. The 2.0 tray is definately a better design, but some guys are still having issues. To tell you the truth the main problem comes from incorrectly set linkages and end points. I have never had servo issues, even with the 1.0 tray and no stiffener or o-rings. The 2.0 tray can in cases make the problem even worse than it already was. If you have a normal 1.0 chassis(not TFT) there is no way your servos will clear the chassis in the 2.0 tray. I have to use servo spacers on my full 2.0 setups because of it. That's on the 2.0 chassis. So yeah slap that stiffener on there, get everything set up correctly and you will be good.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

This is beating a dead horse a bit, but from the reading I've done, the stiffener is kind of a mixed bag. I never ran one on my buggy and I've never blown a servo. Like was said, if you setup your linkages and gap the servo properly, you should be ok. Now, I did run the KHZ stiffener on my truggy and I've blown a couple servos.

I've tried multiple incarnations of shock-mounting the tray using the o-rings like it says in the addendum or fuel tubing or layers of foam tape or whatever. What I finally ended up doing was just removing the screw that holds down the battery compartment. This removes all the leverage that the chassis has on the servo tray when it flexes. I haven't popped a servo since. I just got new 2.0 trays for both and I think I'll still run 'em without the screw in the back.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Its funny how I hav been running the same cheapo servo in my buggy for like a year and its never given me problems...

set your EPAs and put 2mm of fuel line under the back screw in the radio tray. If you have JR servos make sure you put the correct spacer in the bottom of the servo to keep the motor from falling down in the servo. It tells you in the mannual if you need to use the bump blocks to raise the servo higher. It depends on the servo
Autie's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Thanks guys for your info. I have the losi 8ight competition buggy kit. I havent finish building it yet, i need to put in the electronics. I have cheap servos for now, they are the spektrum servo that comes with the spektrum dx3.0. Im getting the hitec servo later on.

I will install the stiffner and try to set up my linkages the way the losi manual saids and hope i dont burn my servo and have a runaway which is what i dont want to happend.