R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I usually give the car a good once over with simple green, lube, and a tooth brush after every race or practice day. Inspect for any cracked or bent parts and unusual slop. Check bearings.

After every 2 or 3 club race or practice days, I break the car down completely to the last bolt and soak parts in simple green and relube all the parts with wd-40. Keeps the car from squeaking too. I usually check and change diff and shock oil at this point.

If it is a big race, I usually do a complete breakdown and rebuild prior to the race.

I find wrenching on my car at home relaxing. Through on a little TV while I am working on my car and all my worries seem to just go away.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I do it after every race day. Pull the engine and pipe, electronics tray, fuel tank and center diff. I clean the engine with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, pull the clutch bell, inspect the bearings, sand the bell, file the shoes. I clean the electronics carefully with simple green on a shop towel. Then simple green the entire car and blow it off. I've sort of stopped using WD40. I use Maxima SC1 after it's all clean, let that sit for 30 seconds and then wipe off with a rag. Put the car back together and replace bearings and fuel line if necessary.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:37 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Maxima Racing Oils SC1 is bad ass. Its made specifically to shine plastic and repel dirt for MotoX. It really saves a lot of time when cleaning. It also smells good (like grape candy) so the wife and kids dont bother me when I spray it in the house.

I try and not use water on the buggy roller. I clean the body, tires, wing, and fuel tank with soap and water. I use denatured alcohol to break up the oil/dirt on the roller. A lot of scrubbing with toothbrushes and paintbrushes a lot of blasting it with high pressure air from a good air compressor (maybe even more important a good air blower nozzle) and a nice coating of SC1 to bring that showroom shine back.

Shocks and diffs I rebuild them before important races or after a gallon or 2. If the boots arent torn and the diffs dont leak the fluid inside stays pretty consistent for a while.

Clutch bearings I do about every 2 hours of track time or before important mains. Clutches usually last me a couple gallons or more (carbon shoes).
Old 06-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't race regularly, but I take out the motor, electronics, fuel tank, and transmission (AE MGT converted to forward only) after every race day.

I take apart the diffs and suspension only if something breaks/wears out. Last time I did I decided to finally put diff oil in (first real, i.e. not traxxas, nitro truck) never got around to checking them, as it wasn't running for about a year. After 1 1/2 gallons, they looked like new. Loaded them up with oil, and will check again in another gallon.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #35
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Allumina

complete tear down every time my cars get run, including freshening every bearing
Allumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #36
Tech Rookie

After every race or track practice. blow off efter race,........FULL cleaning at end of day as if it came out of the box!!!
Cpl.Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semple View Post
I do it after every race day. Pull the engine and pipe, electronics tray, fuel tank and center diff. I clean the engine with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, pull the clutch bell, inspect the bearings, sand the bell, file the shoes. I clean the electronics carefully with simple green on a shop towel. Then simple green the entire car and blow it off. I've sort of stopped using WD40. I use Maxima SC1 after it's all clean, let that sit for 30 seconds and then wipe off with a rag. Put the car back together and replace bearings and fuel line if necessary.
thanks for the tip on the maxima sc1
gonna have to give that a try