Wiki Posts
Search

Good 8th scale steering servo

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Theres a LOT of people that will argue that they ARE the best!

I have seen too many sloppy and burned JR's. And have yet to see a hitec ever get sloppy like that. I have seen JR's soo sloppy that the wheels shake 10 degrees in either direction from center and they were good JR's too. That is rediculous for servos that cost as much as they do.
out of the dozens of jr servos iv had and seen, the ones that shimmy are the guys running 9100s on steering. at 180oz of torque they are not strong enouph. and the old 9000t&s is what dont center. the last guy on here that had a several page thread about jr not repairing under warranty, that guy was never able to identify what jr servo he even had lol. with a jr "z9100t" on steering i have never seen one fail. I have to say with any servo set up correctly(and this with integras help off of rcu i have set up some pretty cheap servos to last for a good period of time)
Old 06-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8&stuff
out of the dozens of jr servos iv had and seen, the ones that shimmy are the guys running 9100s on steering. at 180oz of torque they are not strong enouph. and the old 9000t&s is what dont center. the last guy on here that had a several page thread about jr not repairing under warranty, that guy was never able to identify what jr servo he even had lol. with a jr "z9100t" on steering i have never seen one fail. I have to say with any servo set up correctly(and this with integras help off of rcu i have set up some pretty cheap servos to last for a good period of time)

JR's are Inferior to Hitec....there's no 2 way's about it.....I myself have seen all of the high end JR's fail in all different way's from gear's to top case's to the boards plain out failing....i would never dream of using a JR in my race rigs.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Integra
JR's are Inferior to Hitec....there's no 2 way's about it.....I myself have seen all of the high end JR's fail in all different way's from gear's to top case's to the boards plain out failing....i would never dream of using a JR in my race rigs.
alls iv known you "INTEGRA" to use were ace(about 8months+ago) and more recently hitech.......over the past 15 months and in that whole time iv been running the same 4 servos in my trug&bug, the jr z9100s=speed on throttle and z9100t=torque on steering. iv switched those same 4 servos through 4 race buggys and 3 brand new race truggys(set up properly) and the only prob iv had was an ear fell off, that jr replaced free. i buy all my stuff from horizon straight which makes the warranty aspect easy. jr speed servos which is the 9100s will burn when on steering, iv seen this about 10 times. and those as well as the old 9000 servos have issues like centering. these are facts from my experience not from hearing or seeing
Old 06-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Associated DS1015
Old 06-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdyt13
Associated DS1015
Just as bad as their DS1313, just spend the extra $30 or so and get a servo that will likely outlast your car.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

alls iv known you "INTEGRA" to use were ace(about 8months+ago) and more recently hitech.......over the past 15 months and in that whole time iv been running the same 4 servos in my trug&bug, the jr z9100s=speed on throttle and z9100t=torque on steering. iv switched those same 4 servos through 4 race buggys and 3 brand new race truggys(set up properly) and the only prob iv had was an ear fell off, that jr replaced free. i buy all my stuff from horizon straight which makes the warranty aspect easy. jr speed servos which is the 9100s will burn when on steering, iv seen this about 10 times. and those as well as the old 9000 servos have issues like centering. these are facts from my experience not from hearing or seeing
Not possible! Those servos you are referring to haven't been out for 4 years. JR makes decent servos, but they can't touch Hitec TG's.

The most recent JR I have seen shimmy was an 8711 which is supposed to be JR's "torquiest" servo. It was in a buggy for steering, and when I saw it start to shimmy, I thought it was glitching.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Not possible! Those servos you are referring to haven't been out for 4 years. JR makes decent servos, but they can't touch Hitec TG's.

The most recent JR I have seen shimmy was an 8711 which is supposed to be JR's "torquiest" servo. It was in a buggy for steering, and when I saw it start to shimmy, I thought it was glitching.
I said iv been running the same 4 servos for 15 months. those same 4 are as perfect as the day i bought them..xept for 1 ear that broke that was replaced no questions asked. as for other jr servos that i dont race, just for practice such as the infamous 9100s shimmy on steering(and 180oz of torque is not nouph)and 9000s&t's that dont center, those of which iv had issues. as far as i know the 8711 is not a racing servo and if was its older than the 9100t. I have never seen a jr z9100t shimmy,glitch or not center. so as the thread asks for steering servo I argue the z9100t is as good as anything...

I will say and iv frequented lots tracks in this area, the hitechs are good but thru the hell i put on both my 9100t servos they are pretty darn good too
Old 06-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I said iv been running the same 4 servos for 15 months. those same 4 are as perfect as the day i bought them..xept for 1 ear that broke that was replaced no questions asked. as for other jr servos that i dont race, just for practice such as the infamous 9100s shimmy on steering(and 180oz of torque is not nouph)and 9000s&t's that dont center, those of which iv had issues. as far as i know the 8711 is not a racing servo and if was its older than the 9100t. I have never seen a jr z9100t shimmy,glitch or not center. so as the thread asks for steering servo I argue the z9100t is as good as anything...

I will say and iv frequented lots tracks in this area, the hitechs are good but thru the hell i put on both my 9100t servos they are pretty darn good too
If the 8711 is not a racing servo why does it have a above racing servo price? It was also JR's first servo with an aluminum heat sink case, and is still thier strongest servo. Sounds like a race servo to me. There really is no excuse for any servo to shimmy like that. I can't imagine what it feels like to drive with that much play in a servo. No other brand of servos does that. Just can't figure out why ALL JR's do at one point or another.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

the low torque jr servos shimmy is electronic failure(thats what jr support says)

I couldnt have asked for more than 15months out of any servo let alone the ones i got, and i got them at cost which was half of $115 over a year ago.

when these burn, even within 3yr warranty il prolly try a hitech or 2 just so see how they are...or by that time try the unregulated hitechs or jr
Old 06-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by plack75
Hey im new to 8th scale and I want to know what people are using for steering servos... Im hearing that people go thru 2 or 3 a season... is that true?? is there one servo that will last a whole season??
The original poster just wanted help finding a good servo. He did not ask for all this extra stuff. In the future, make your recommendations and move on.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jaywax
The original poster just wanted help finding a good servo. He did not ask for all this extra stuff. In the future, make your recommendations and move on.
when i started 1/8 racing i asked the same thing and spent some time asking and listening. this is a discussion beyond recommendations.......
Old 06-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

jr 9000t 1/8 scale throttle servo and 9100t 1/8 scale steering servo no problems had these for over a year now hope this helps
Old 06-18-2009, 06:05 AM
Tech Lord

the low torque jr servos shimmy is electronic failure(thats what jr support says)

the shimmy is NOT the board....its 100% the top case and the brass bushing's + Inferior brass gear's...Period.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

I have no problem with Hitec servos - again they are good servos - and so are the JR servos I have. I have ran JR servos as far back as I can remember and yes I have had my fair share of problems and working in a hobby shop - I have seen a fair share of Hitec servo problems as well. Yes the JR servos are pricey but I will say from experience that the FEW servos that I have had problems with from JR have been solved or replaced by JR/Horizon. Not once did they treat me like sh!t. As far as the 8711 who say its not a race servo. I brought 2 of these servos the day they came out because I had a muggy at the time. But since then I have used them both in my 2 - 8ts and now in the 2.0. Yes I have had to send one back to have them replace the top case, and they did, with turn around in one week. I use the 9000s series in my On Road cars and again NEVER had a problem. They have been very reliable and has never cost me a race in over 3 years (I think).

The only other servo I have used was ACE/AE 1015 and 1313. I thought I would use all NEW stuff in the new 2.0 and these were RECOMMENDED, and all I can say is that they flat out suck. They are very smooth, but dont last at all. I would spend double the money and buy the JR any day any time................ But if I needed to I would run a Hitch servo, not problem with them. But it will be JR till I die or until I have a list of DNF's because of them.

And I think that the DISCUSSION that is going on in this thread is part of the RECOMMENDATION.

In general when you want a recommendation you ask, WHY is this product reccommended. From a servo to a real 1.1 car, to a TV. A recommenation is always going to be followed by an opinion, even if you went in to a LHS and ask the same question.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

As I insane, or does the blue metal arm that comes with the 7955 not fit on the output shaft?

Also, where is this "+" sign supposed to be located on the shaft?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.