R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Rookie w/ nitro rc and hobby store advice? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/304139-rookie-w-nitro-rc-hobby-store-advice.html)

chays33 06-12-2009 05:32 AM

Rookie w/ nitro rc and hobby store advice?

I recently purchased a Traxxas Rustler with .25 engine for my son. I have zero experience with the nitro RC's and have been trying to do my homework on it. Apparently you are supposed to use some after run oil after using. I went to a local hobby store to buy the 20% fuel and asked for after run oil. He gave me some lightening lub road power and said to use 4 drops of this with a certain amount of the fuel (cant remember the amount 1qt maybe) and that I wouldnt have to use the after run oil. Good advice? bad advice? and if so, do you think Im right on 4 drops per 1qt ratio? thanks in advance

token 06-12-2009 06:17 AM

I would not - Hobbico makes an afterrun oil, I would not put nothing into my fuel, as of fear that it would make it inconsistant Plus one of my local PROS said that wtih some fuels stating that you do not use afterrun oils but they would still use them.

You don't need to use ARO after ever run, but if you not going to run it for a while then its a must.

chays33 06-12-2009 06:22 AM

thanks for that advice......I didnt think that sounded right, but seems to be a popular method on some forums.

aaronb73 06-12-2009 06:23 AM

The best advice I can give you is when you are done running the truck for the day that you leave no fuel in the tank and try to burn any remaining fuel left in the motor. Basically with an empty tank try to start the motor until it won't fire up anymore.

After that is done remove the air filter and the glow plug and add a couple of drops of after run oil in both places. Turn the motor over 2-3 seconds to spread the oil around in the motor and reinstall the glow plug and air filter. Done!

I use Sidewinder fuel and they claim that you don't need after run oil due to their proprietary mixture. If you're using a fuel with a fairly high oil content you would probably be safe just burning the remaining fuel out of the motor.

Here's a good article with some long term storage tips:
http://rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=52&page=1

rookie042 06-12-2009 06:32 AM

normally in a rustler you will run a 20% nitro blend. This is a common fuel for the .15-.20 motors Pre-manufactured fuels have a 8-12 % oil content already mixed into them. You should be able to see on the label what the stated oil content is. Hope this helps

chays33 06-12-2009 06:42 AM

So if he sold me some generic fuel that has a low oil content, I may need to add the lightening lube to the fuel? or just be double sure to use the after run oil when done for the day?

token 06-12-2009 08:25 AM

You should not use generic fuel - there are several fuels out there and the oil content should be labled on the bottle. Oh and make sure you stay with the same fuel.

What fuel are you running?

Christopherp 06-12-2009 08:30 AM

why should you stay with the one fuel?

redza 06-12-2009 08:45 AM

it screws up the tuning. and the engine wont tune right?

DOMIT 06-12-2009 08:57 AM

The oil content should be specified... what brand of fuel is it? Note that the pro race fuels use LESS oil than the "basher" fuels... so those of us running the "good stuff" have to use more care. I've never used after-run oil except when I'm storing an engine for more than a couple of weeks.

Christopherp 06-12-2009 09:00 AM

what about after 1L of 1 brand? im about to break in my 8 rtr engine and was told by hooby shop to use my 16% i have from my 1/10 and then move upto 25 after break in, as 20% is hard to get in australia. should i just go with the 25%?

howtowakeakar 06-12-2009 09:06 AM

You can switch, just leave it a little rich when you do make the switch, and re-tune after the switch.

chays33 06-12-2009 09:10 AM

I dont recall the brand right off the top of my head, but thinking about it, Im pretty sure the sales guy at the hobby shop isnt going to sell his cheapest fuel to a rookie such as myself when he can sell me a more expensive fuel without me even knowing. I will have to check it when I get home this evening. You guys have great advice...this is a very useful forum thanks to all

chays33 06-12-2009 10:37 AM

so what are you guys referring to when you say "leave it rich" or what is the richness?

howtowakeakar 06-12-2009 10:40 AM

Rich = excessive smoke coming out of the exhaust (there should always be some, but not a giant cloud, cloud = rich).

"Leave it rich" = once the engine is tuned, lean both needles ~1/4 turn.