R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default vspec unbeatable?!?!

ok i know im going to start a huge argument here lol i am looking for a motor for my losi 8 and also a motor for my jammin truggy... i can honestly say im not a real big fan of os motors... they are good motors but everyone at the track i go to that isnt sponsered runs os i like to be different but i find myself wasting more and more money .... ok here it is i seriously wanna know is the OS vspec unbeatable it dosent seem like any engine i look up has the power or rpms of the vspec is their something out there that can compete is the os vspec the best bang for your buck like i said i like to be different so if their is something that comes close im interested to hear about it
thanks
john
liteumup387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #2

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

i know the mugen ninja's are os based. but for the price and reliability they are very very good. also in the truggy i have liked the rb c-6's a little on the pricey side but the power and gallons you can put on them. i have one with 8+ gallons and still very tight. yes i have changed the bearings and rod but should go 4-6 gallons more. you will have many many different answers. at our track you can have 10 drivers with 8 different motors. all are very competitive. good luck. jeremy
Jeremy Whiting - serpent america - desoto racing - apicco race engines - RcRenew - jconcepts - Rc Pro Products - ko propo eurus - ko propo servos - VP PowerMaster Fuels - Answer-rc usa - advantage racing products - Parma/pse bodies - serpent 811 2.1 - 811t
J.Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Allumina

Can't go wrong with a Novarossi 21-4 Plus, and they're right around the same price

...besides, it's a Novarossi
Allumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

someone may claim that there is a motor that comes close, but it's all opinions. but if you look at alot of engine companies out there, they are trying to create a similar power plant to the V-spec, which is a 3 port powerhouse, same with the OS speed. such engines as the Orion 3 port alpha. the novarossi plus4 4 port.

They are trying to pump out alot of power with as few ports as possible, in an attempt to increase fuel mileage.

I can only speak from personal experience, O.S. motors are hard to beat. an OS offshoot that would be a good choice is the mugen JX Ninja 5 port engine. I thought about getting one after my v-spec dies. but it's still chugg'n along.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liteumup387 View Post
ok i know im going to start a huge argument here lol i am looking for a motor for my losi 8 and also a motor for my jammin truggy... i can honestly say im not a real big fan of os motors... they are good motors but everyone at the track i go to that isnt sponsered runs os i like to be different but i find myself wasting more and more money .... ok here it is i seriously wanna know is the OS vspec unbeatable it dosent seem like any engine i look up has the power or rpms of the vspec is their something out there that can compete is the os vspec the best bang for your buck like i said i like to be different so if their is something that comes close im interested to hear about it
thanks
john

You cannot beat the OS v-spec for its ease of tuning, average price, longevity, fuel milage and power. It does everything right.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer7469 View Post
i know the mugen ninja's are os based. but for the price and reliability they are very very good. also in the truggy i have liked the rb c-6's a little on the pricey side but the power and gallons you can put on them. i have one with 8+ gallons and still very tight. yes i have changed the bearings and rod but should go 4-6 gallons more. you will have many many different answers. at our track you can have 10 drivers with 8 different motors. all are very competitive. good luck. jeremy
i have to agree with you on the rb c6 its a power house them vspecs cant even keep up and i run my c6 at 190 degrees it has power all day on a large track

Losi 8ight T 2.0 Alpha S852 (Orange Head)
www.hobbyhut.com
dadsvtechonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsvtechonda View Post
i have to agree with you on the rb c6 its a power house them vspecs cant even keep up and i run my c6 at 190 degrees it has power all day on a large track
actually running your engine too cool can cause just as much damage as running it way too hot.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I went from the os v-spec to the orion crf and I have not looked back! Yes I did have to give up a little bit of milage but for the ease of tuning and the power I will not go back to the v-spec.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro View Post
actually running your engine too cool can cause just as much damage as running it way too hot.
i dont think 190-210 will do any damage it runs perfect anyone else think diff????

Losi 8ight T 2.0 Alpha S852 (Orange Head)
www.hobbyhut.com
dadsvtechonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

OS motors are VERY hard to beat. They have the power, runtime, ease of tuning and longevety. I used to be anti-OS, but my opinion of them has taken a huge U turn. I absolutely love my OS based engines. For price and preformance in all areas, it is really hard to beat the v-spec. The ninja is also a great OS based engine with a very smooth powerband. The longevety issues are lost no me. I have 9 gallons through my v-spec and it is still running like a charm just like day one.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I was in your exact same situation. I said I never wanted to get a v-spec with all the horror stories, and got talked into getting it at my track. Total came to $240 shipped from ebay (in the US). I knew I would have to replace with speed rod and tko ceramics at 3-4 gallons but I have about 2/3 gallon on it and it runs great. Can't comment on longevity issues but it will be a LONG time until I trash it.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

Unbeatable? what do you mean? you are'nt drag racing.......you can be fast on the track with just about any .21 if its tuned well, I have seen guys that have BIG $$$ engines and are flipping everywhere because they are WFO everywhere, and I have seen guys that are smoother and faster with a cheaper club level engine........my point is this, get what fits your driving style and you will be fine.............Im in my first year of racing and I chose a NR plus4, its very easy to drive due to its extremely linear powerband, it has tons of power, more than I can use in an efficient manner most of the time but Im not a strapped driver at all. I try to be smooth and steady. Im using a 6.5mm and my EPA is dialed out to about 85% carb throw and its still more than enough on our backstretch. learn to drive slow, then SLOWLY go faster, JMO..........good luck with your new engines
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well I have run a couple of different motors. Started the cheap way and it cost me in the long run. Now I run the C6, VSPEC (ProModRC), and Speed Worlds II edition. The OS platform in really hard to beat. I am stationed here in Japan now and OS is everywhere obviously, so I picked the Speed up for cheap. But the motor is a monster. Very smooth and it makes huge power. I have put a couple of gallons through it now and it still runs strong. I even sucked a little dirt into it without any issues. Now the C6 on the otherhand is a beast. Huge power I feel that it is great for a truggy, but a little much to handle in a buggy. It is do able, but a little tough on a tight track. Anyhow, my C6 is boxed up and my Speed in mounted. Great motor for the price.
Revooooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsvtechonda View Post
i dont think 190-210 will do any damage it runs perfect anyone else think diff????

I have to agree with XLGRAPHICSPRO.

I used to be a I'm running it cooler so I'm not as hard on it so it will last longer.

What I have learned (OS VSpecs) is that when I run them at the 240-250 range not only do I get A LOT more run time (it was already really good) but I get more gallons of fuel through the motors before I have to replace parts or have it pinched.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #15
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have been trying out different engines in my 8T 2.0 and I must say that the OS speed that I am running now is a real nice engine. It tunes easy and runs and runs and runs. I only have about a gallon through it but so far I like it best from GRP .21, tuned, non tuned, modded and a GRP .28. If I need to try a different engine my next choice will either be a ninja or a nova toro. But so far the vspec is perfect.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote