R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
If you can only get 4-5 gallons out of a standard v-spec you are definately doing something wrong. Mine has 9 gallons on it running strong. Only changed the bearings and rod. To me that is excellent life. I have also seen several go 12+ gallons running perfectly.
haha..you must be right friend...congrats to you if you get that much out of a vspec, cuz nobody that I know of that I race against has them last past 6-7 gallons or so....I ain't got the time or desire to replace bearings and rods every couple of gallons on a spec...the non DLC coated cranks/pins do not last as long and stay true as long as the coated ones..there is no dispute about that...I just keep them as parts engines and get a new engine (spec or otherwise).....to each their own
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
haha..you must be right friend...congrats to you if you get that much out of a vspec, cuz nobody that I know of that I race against has them last past 6-7 gallons or so....I ain't got the time or desire to replace bearings and rods every couple of gallons on a spec...the non DLC coated cranks/pins do not last as long and stay true as long as the coated ones..there is no dispute about that...I just keep them as parts engines and get a new engine (spec or otherwise).....to each their own
I changed the bearings and rod around 3 gallons as I do to every engine. IMO if you aren't doing that, you aren't maintaining the engine correctly. While it is true the non-coated cranks don't last as long, they can certainly last more than 4-5 gallons. It's just half as many motors to buy, break-in and explode. Saves TONS of $$. If you want to waste your money, that's up to you.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Quote:
I changed the bearings and rod around 3 gallons as I do to every engine. IMO if you aren't doing that, you aren't maintaining the engine correctly. While it is true the non-coated cranks don't last as long, they can certainly last more than 4-5 gallons. It's just half as many motors to buy, break-in and explode. Saves TONS of $$. If you want to waste your money, that's up to you.
and that is a difference between you and I - I will change a bearing now and then, and have changed rods a few times, but I would rather get servicable life out of a mill and then go buy something else - it is easier for me to drop the money on another mill, do a quick (very quick) break in and go race them...I don't break an engine in for a gallon and then go race it...I am putting a race tune on them after 4 tanks or so...too much wasted fuel and more importantly too much time FOR ME...3-5 gallons later if they start acting funny, they are retired and I get another one. You say I am wasting money...time is money for me, and rebuilding motors takes time away from other things I could be doing...This may not be for everyone, but it works for me. I have a couple of Nova motors as backups that have anywhere from 5-8 gallons on them that still run fine, but I wanted something else (hence why they are backups)....and I believe my original comment was Vspecs WERE hard to beat..good mills with good power, good runtime, easy to tune and cheap price - and for me...expendable...ymmv
Old 06-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
and that is a difference between you and I - I will change a bearing now and then, and have changed rods a few times, but I would rather get servicable life out of a mill and then go buy something else - it is easier for me to drop the money on another mill, do a quick (very quick) break in and go race them...I don't break an engine in for a gallon and then go race it...I am putting a race tune on them after 4 tanks or so...too much wasted fuel and more importantly too much time FOR ME...3-5 gallons later if they start acting funny, they are retired and I get another one. You say I am wasting money...time is money for me, and rebuilding motors takes time away from other things I could be doing...This may not be for everyone, but it works for me. I have a couple of Nova motors as backups that have anywhere from 5-8 gallons on them that still run fine, but I wanted something else (hence why they are backups)....and I believe my original comment was Vspecs WERE hard to beat..good mills with good power, good runtime, easy to tune and cheap price - and for me...expendable...ymmv
I'm not arguing the v-spec's case here. Just saying you CAN get more milage out of them. If your method works for you that's great. Myself I don't mind taking the 10-20 minutes to do a bearing and rod swap.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I've ran V-specs, Werks TL21B7proC,RBC6L2G, GO 5 and 7 PT's and the Nova P5XS and I have to say my 2 favorite are the C6 and the P5XS. Both have way more power then the V-spec in my opinion and I get 10-12 mins to a tank in my MP9 without a problem.
2fst2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Quote:
I'm not arguing the v-spec's case here. Just saying you CAN get more milage out of them. If your method works for you that's great. Myself I don't mind taking the 10-20 minutes to do a bearing and rod swap.
Good enough my friend

I think I am going to pick up another vspec or a buddy's speed tomorrow....chances are I will be running OS in tomorrow's race
Old 06-14-2009, 06:13 AM   #37
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

YES, a Vspec is beatable...........all day long
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote