R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Tech Elite
 
Gearhead racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere in PA
Posts: 2,020
Default Race Fuels???

I have my new picco p7 evo 3 for my buggy. I have some traxxas 33% i was thinking of using. I was also thinking of using some o'donnell race 30%.
What you guys think?
__________________
"Seeing the world on 2 wheels"
Losi Ten-T SCTE~Tekin SC4X 4.5~ Tekin RX8
Gearhead racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 711
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

i know alot of people dont like traxxas fuels but have never run it...i run byrons and love it...recently broke down a engine with 5 gallons on it and it looks new...od is also a great fuel...really cant go wrong with it...just run what u plan to continue to run
__________________
Alex B
Kyosho America/Byron Fuels/J concepts
For all your painting needs!
Elite Paint Workz
ElitePaintWorkz@gmail.com
mist467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Sussex UK
Posts: 58
Default

+1 on the byrons

but you should run whatever is available where you live
BenXB8ec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Tech Champion
 
Trevor Williams's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,218
Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)
Default

DO NOT run that Traxxas fuel, it sucks hardcore, it has a WAY high oil content.

Odonnell fuel if good stuff..........I personally have had good luck with Werks Racing and EB Mods fuels........I just made the switch to Nitrotane and it is good too.
__________________
RC10-B6d | RC10-B64d
SmacTrac
#WeAreAE #ReedyPower #AE4Life
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Gearhead racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere in PA
Posts: 2,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist467 View Post
i know alot of people dont like traxxas fuels but have never run it...i run byrons and love it...recently broke down a engine with 5 gallons on it and it looks new...od is also a great fuel...really cant go wrong with it...just run what u plan to continue to run
Thanks. Ive tried the oddonnel once which did work pretty well just i have 3/4 gallon of traxxas 33%. Some people tell the traxxas has to much oil in it, but the OD has 18% and the traxxas has 16%.
__________________
"Seeing the world on 2 wheels"
Losi Ten-T SCTE~Tekin SC4X 4.5~ Tekin RX8
Gearhead racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 711
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

yea thats what ive heard too...ive also seen people running it and the motor cant hold a tune for 5 min...i wouldnt ever put that in my engine either
__________________
Alex B
Kyosho America/Byron Fuels/J concepts
For all your painting needs!
Elite Paint Workz
ElitePaintWorkz@gmail.com
mist467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

I ran sidewinder all last season 30% with 11% oil and recently I have switched to Coldfusion magic blend which is 30% and 11% oil. This combo works well for me. The difference between different fuel mfg's is like the difference from chevron to shell it all depends on the consumer.

I can say that since I have switched to Coldfusion fuels I rest assured that they use synthetic oils and that there are no additives of any kind so inside my engine there is no build up. Their fuel also runs cooler because the fillers are not taking up space and making the engine hotter. I am not sure I completely understand it but, Vernon at Coldfusion has explained it and I can defiantly tell that what he says is true. Sidewinder was not bad to me but Coldfusion has a noticeable advantage.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Tech Adept
 
lorider75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lloydminster, Sk
Posts: 180
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

by no means am i a pro but, I think fuel choice is almost one of those "which is better Losi or AE" questions. I have used several fuels from traxxas to werks to xp. I really liked the traxxas fuel because the needles seemed really wide, probably wasnt getting the best performance btu it always ran good, maybe not great but, good. The werks fuel seemed somewhat finicky, tune was less forgiving and the fuel stunk.... burned the eyes bad. The xp is what we run now, had alot of people tell us we couldnt win with XP fuel, but we have a wall full of trophies that says otherwise. So run what you can get on a consistent basis. Dont fall into the "this fuel is better cuz "X" runs it".

just my 2 cents
__________________
Team High Torque * Extremercmods.com
lorider75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Gearhead racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere in PA
Posts: 2,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorider75 View Post
by no means am i a pro but, I think fuel choice is almost one of those "which is better Losi or AE" questions. I have used several fuels from traxxas to werks to xp. I really liked the traxxas fuel because the needles seemed really wide, probably wasnt getting the best performance btu it always ran good, maybe not great but, good. The werks fuel seemed somewhat finicky, tune was less forgiving and the fuel stunk.... burned the eyes bad. The xp is what we run now, had alot of people tell us we couldnt win with XP fuel, but we have a wall full of trophies that says otherwise. So run what you can get on a consistent basis. Dont fall into the "this fuel is better cuz "X" runs it".

just my 2 cents
thank you for your 2 cents. My bro did pickup a quart of oddonnel to try it. it did work very well but he decided he just stickwith traxxas. so i would have to pay for a hole case. My local hobby guy doent stock odonnel but can get it.
__________________
"Seeing the world on 2 wheels"
Losi Ten-T SCTE~Tekin SC4X 4.5~ Tekin RX8
Gearhead racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 460
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I run Mugen Race Fuel. Great stuff. It is the same thing as the Byron's race fuel if you can find that. Cooler temps and great power. The Traxxas stuff imo only runs good in with Traxxas stuff. Tried it in a different motor other than the 3.3 and it didn't run well. But I have seen other people running it, so it must be good to them. Just didn't work for me. My buddy ran the OD fuel and it seemed very solid. Held the tune well and made some good power. Of course the fuel question is always a battle of the ages, but go with what seems right for you.
Revooooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #11
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 725
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

+1 for Byrons. But the most important thing is what your store carries. I also used mugen, but the lhs in my area don't carry it any more. Love the byron's gen 2 though. good fuel and engine protection. What fuels are available in your area.
__________________
HB D8T with BCE Chassis, ACE Shock towers and motor mounts, M2C Rear Suspension system, KH front steering plate and chassis braces, Lunsford Ti-turnbuckles & hinge pins, OS Speed motor, Hitec 5995TG steering, Futaba 9351 throttle/brake, OS 2060 pipe, and J concepts Punisher Body.
HB D8: CEO Mods Novarossi P5K with JP4 tuned pipe, JR 9000T steering, JR 8800T throttle.
gotspeed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
Tech Addict
 
PIMP_9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 717
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I have ran Byrons,Odonnell,EBmods,sidewinder,homemade,and now I run Torco (torco.com) I was running EB mods and changed over to Torco 30% race blend. They use pharmacutial grade 99.4% Nitromethane from Baush&Lomb,Klotz and virgin castor oil. I ran my engine with no tune mods and my "race tuned "Go 5 port 0801 pipe 7.0 restrictor with EB mods fuel it ran 240's. Straight out of the bottle and into the tank I ran 198 with the Torco.Now after I leaned my top and bottom needle settings at least 3-4 hours the Torco is giving me 240's and I am burning 17-18 ccs of fuel a minute or 12+min real runtime. It smokes great and leaves the typical oil residue on the wing and rear tire which I like and I have the perfect plug using the ron paris exam method . I can squeeze more out of it but the fuel works so good I had to give you my .02. If you cant find it they do ship and it is well worth it. The other fuels out there are great and I have had nothing but good results but the Torco is just too darn good not to let you know. Torco is new to race r/c fuel but they only make fuel and additives for race fuel .If it is good enough for a 8000 horsepower top fuel funny car I say my 1/8 scale will reap the reward of "race purpose fuel" Some may disagree but that is my .02 and I tested and came to these conclusions on my own for my own knowledge.All data was compiled through two weeks of racing and testing of the Torco fuel.Ok thats all I got .I will do more testing of this fuel on a couple different tracks and temps to have some more data. You cant really go wrong with any fuel out there today but when it comes to racing you want the best possible this is what I found to be the best for my needs.Consistent use and what works best for you is the key (and what you can get or not also has something to do with it). I burn a couple of gallons a month with practice and racing so the fuel game is important to me.
__________________
PIMP_9000 Darrin Hunt see my paint work in painting forum keyword pimp_9000
BCG Industries/Hunt Motorsports/Outlaw Garage
Losi 8ight & 8t/Kyosho ultima sc/RB engines/castle electrical items
Fearfarm rc/KBRL/The Dirt/
PIMP_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #13
Tech Elite
 
xlgraphicspro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 2,052
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

byrons gen2. best stuff around. I run 30% nitro 9% oil. It's a combo that's hard to beat. I've been running it since it's induction, and am still running one of the same engines I had a year ago.
__________________
TeamXray RCAmerica Hudy Xlgraphicspro Paint/ Impulse-Rc Clutch shoes.
Xray XB 808 O.S. Speed Or Ninja JX
xlgraphicspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #14
Tech Master
 
ehames005's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 1,613
Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMP_9000 View Post
I have ran Byrons,Odonnell,EBmods,sidewinder,homemade,and now I run Torco (torco.com) I was running EB mods and changed over to Torco 30% race blend. They use pharmacutial grade 99.4% Nitromethane from Baush&Lomb,Klotz and virgin castor oil. I ran my engine with no tune mods and my "race tuned "Go 5 port 0801 pipe 7.0 restrictor with EB mods fuel it ran 240's. Straight out of the bottle and into the tank I ran 198 with the Torco.Now after I leaned my top and bottom needle settings at least 3-4 hours the Torco is giving me 240's and I am burning 17-18 ccs of fuel a minute or 12+min real runtime. It smokes great and leaves the typical oil residue on the wing and rear tire which I like and I have the perfect plug using the ron paris exam method . I can squeeze more out of it but the fuel works so good I had to give you my .02. If you cant find it they do ship and it is well worth it. The other fuels out there are great and I have had nothing but good results but the Torco is just too darn good not to let you know. Torco is new to race r/c fuel but they only make fuel and additives for race fuel .If it is good enough for a 8000 horsepower top fuel funny car I say my 1/8 scale will reap the reward of "race purpose fuel" Some may disagree but that is my .02 and I tested and came to these conclusions on my own for my own knowledge.All data was compiled through two weeks of racing and testing of the Torco fuel.Ok thats all I got .I will do more testing of this fuel on a couple different tracks and temps to have some more data. You cant really go wrong with any fuel out there today but when it comes to racing you want the best possible this is what I found to be the best for my needs.Consistent use and what works best for you is the key (and what you can get or not also has something to do with it). I burn a couple of gallons a month with practice and racing so the fuel game is important to me.


+1 on the Torco. I've run Traxxas, OD, Nitrotane and Werks and by far the best is the Torco. I have had better run time and cooler temps from the Torco than any other fuel.
__________________
Thank you to my 2017 supporters:
Sworkz--Amainhobbies.com---ProTek Rc---Huston's Engine Service
ehames005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #15
Tech Elite
 
Marcus Falconie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,462
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default fuel

Torco Fuel Wins also Earnest M. Arizona NitroX State Champ in INT Buggy.
Attached Thumbnails
Race Fuels???-s6301147.jpg  
__________________
Marcus Falconieri
2011 Xray 808
Torco Racing Fuels
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum EVOLUTION Nitro On-Road 11979 06-26-2012 07:57 PM
Tucson AZ Nitro Racers C Branch Arizona-New Mexico Racing 3325 05-31-2012 11:49 AM
Fuel and engine break in hobdog Nitro Off-Road 9 02-12-2009 02:24 PM
RTR 8ight Fuel choice? JeffEmbracedDC Nitro Off-Road 9 11-21-2007 08:25 AM
Tuning Guide for Nitro? K_King Electric Off-Road 6 02-16-2007 03:51 PM
Does Fuel Choice Matter in 1/8 Buggy? Banshee8530 Electric Off-Road 48 05-09-2006 04:57 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:46 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net