Wiki Posts
Search

Engine run time

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (88%+)
Default Engine run time

I want to be able to know when to come in for fuel on a race. How can i test this? Should i just fill up the gas tank and let it sit there in idle or should i actually drive it around? Im not at a track right now so i have to do this in the driveway.
Let me know thanks
Old 06-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

Its best to do that at the track but you can get a good idea of how much run time you would get by running it up and down the drive way hope it helps im getting 12 min on my os speed with a jp4 pipe
Old 06-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhipps835
I want to be able to know when to come in for fuel on a race. How can i test this? Should i just fill up the gas tank and let it sit there in idle or should i actually drive it around? Im not at a track right now so i have to do this in the driveway.
Let me know thanks
To guage your fuel/run time you need to running at race pace on the track. If you are going to a race for the first time, you could use your qualifier to help determine how long you can go before you come in for pits. Keep in mind that the more you crash, the less fuel you'll use in a qualifier cause your aren't pushing the gas when you are being marshalled. I used my qualifiers to see how far I can go in the main. If after our 8 minute qualifier I have a 1/4 to 1/8 tank, then I'll go 8 1/2 to 9 minutes after the start then 8 minutes each tank for the rest of the race. You'll need to give some account for air bubbles in the tank when they are refueling you, so that's why I go little shorter after the top off before the race. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

It helps if you and a buddy go to the track and try it out but the driveway will give you a rought idea. Take and run around the driveway and try to simulate running on the track. I take and time how long it takes to run out of fuel and sudtrack a minute or so what ever you feel and have your pit guy time you with a stop watch for your pit times. Hope this helps