Wiki Posts
Search

starter boxes

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default starter boxes

ok, i now this has been said 1000000 times but once more wont hurt cause i have a little twist on my question

i have 3 losi starter boxes. i love them because i race truggy and bugggy and i like that you can change the box to fit both in two seconds. two of these boxes has upgraded wire and i put integy 55t motors in one of them and they burnt out. my dad bought a brand new box for some reason and put upgraded wire in that and the stock motors went out yesterday.

i was thinking about the ofna truggy box, people have told me its bullet proof. but how fast can i move it from truggy to buggy? all losi btw.

and will i need to do anything to the box like wire or anything?

or if anyone has a fix for the losi box that would be great. i would like to stick with this if anyone has a motor that will last in that
Old 06-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer
ok, i now this has been said 1000000 times but once more wont hurt cause i have a little twist on my question

i have 3 losi starter boxes. i love them because i race truggy and bugggy and i like that you can change the box to fit both in two seconds. two of these boxes has upgraded wire and i put integy 55t motors in one of them and they burnt out. my dad bought a brand new box for some reason and put upgraded wire in that and the stock motors went out yesterday.

i was thinking about the ofna truggy box, people have told me its bullet proof. but how fast can i move it from truggy to buggy? all losi btw.

or if anyone has a fix for the losi box that would be great. i would like to stick with this if anyone has a motor that will last in that
The fix for the losi box is to throw it in the garbage. Get yourself an ofna truggy box. Best box in the business. It will turn over the tightest motors very easily. I run mine with 12v gel cell's and stock wiring and it is still a beast. There are mods that can be done so you can use both buggy and truggy on one box, but myself, I just use 2 boxes. I was planning/have been meaning to upgrade the wiring to deans wet nodle and deans connectors, but never got the chance. They work so well stock, I may never do the upgrade.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=4845
Old 06-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
The fix for the losi box is to throw it in the garbage. Get yourself an ofna truggy box. Best box in the business. It will turn over the tightest motors very easily. I run mine with 12v gel cell's and stock wiring and it is still a beast. There are mods that can be done so you can use both buggy and truggy on one box, but myself, I just use 2 boxes. I was planning/have been meaning to upgrade the wiring to deans wet nodle and deans connectors, but never got the chance. They work so well stock, I may never do the upgrade.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=4845
me and my dad were thinking the same thing. 2 buddies at my local track had one and i liked it. i guess while i was asleep my dad went to my lhs and they gave him 2 new motors since we just got the box. and we found out our second box didnt have bad motors. so i rewired that one for deans so we have a back up. my dad said if these go we will most likley buy 2 ofna boxes
Old 06-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I skipped the Deans connectors all together and just soldered my Wet noodles directly to the motors/switch..I then soldered the Clips for the gel cell to the other side..The less connectors the better, and you can still remove the battery for charging....

Doug..there is no question the Ofna Truggy box is the best box on the Market..It is not easy to make it fit both bug and trug though, Unless you can find top plates that are easily interchanged
Old 06-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I skipped the Deans connectors all together and just soldered my Wet noodles directly to the motors/switch..I then soldered the Clips for the gel cell to the other side..The less connectors the better, and you can still remove the battery for charging....

Doug..there is no question the Ofna Truggy box is the best box on the Market..It is not easy to make it fit both bug and trug though, Unless you can find top plates that are easily interchanged
btw both boxes are wet noodled and sodered all together. the only place there is a dean is at the battery
Old 06-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have the Ofna also and love it. I took all the pins off, have buggy and truggy. I set it on and line up wheel to slot by looking down by fly wheel. It took alittle practice, but it becoome reflex after short time and now I dont even miss the pins and am pretty fast at it.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I switched from the losi box to the ofna truggy box and I love it. The truggy box has broken in a GRP .28 and an OS speed recently without ever getting stuck. I dod not even one time have to unstick the fly wheel like I would have had to to many many times with the losi box. I also installed deans wet noodle and a 4S lipo. This box really will start anything. I took the hardware off the top of the losi box and with the help of a dremel I installed it on the ofna truggy box. Dont let me fool you it took several hours and several bits. But now that its all done the ofna box will start either the truggy or buggy with just a slide and twist just like the losi box did. I fellow racer asked me to do a write up on it a little while ago. Heres the link check it out.

OFNA BOX TO LOSI BOX CONVERSION

There is also this type of starter box mod. This one would be so much easier. I wish I had seen this before I did the mod above.

STARTER BOX MOD
Old 06-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Mine isn't as pimped out as Frank L's but it works tons better and I never have to worry again. Plus the box is useable with buggy and truggy. Only thing I did was put the Ofna Truggy start internals into the Losi box. I lined up the Ofna parts inside the Losi box and then dremeled some slots for the screws.
Attached Thumbnails starter boxes-losi-box-mod.jpg   starter boxes-losi-box-mod-2-.jpg  
Old 06-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by air8
Mine isn't as pimped out as Frank L's but it works tons better and I never have to worry again. Plus the box is useable with buggy and truggy. Only thing I did was put the Ofna Truggy start internals into the Losi box. I lined up the Ofna parts inside the Losi box and then dremeled some slots for the screws.
i thought 2 770 wont fit
Old 06-08-2009, 04:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well this is the entire Truggy Start setup put into the Losi box. So I didn't have to move the motors to the Losi motor mounts or anything. It's hard to see in the enlarged pictures of the motor, but the top motor in the picture is "slightly" pushing out on the side of box. So it's not like it's a direct fit. But they do fit with some dremel work.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer

Same issue here! I bought the junk Losi box and quickly burnt out the stock motors. I replaced them with Traxxas 550's and they burnt up this weekend while I was breaking in OS V-Spec. I do like the ability to change between buggy & truggy but need something that is going to be more durable. OFNA truggy box....here I come!
Old 06-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

oH I know the boys are gonna love this......WELL

After 1.5 year's my stock motor's and lipo combo gave up.....Not only did i lose a pair of motor's to MY box....but buddy burnt out my spare 4 cell in his losi box......Granted he's never been that good with starter boxes...but his BN GRP he decided to Not pre heat and make the box do all the work....well he'll be workin extra hard this week to pay me off what he owe's.

So the question is....which route do i go now.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Integra
oH I know the boys are gonna love this......WELL

After 1.5 year's my stock motor's and lipo combo gave up.....Not only did i lose a pair of motor's to MY box....but buddy burnt out my spare 4 cell in his losi box......Granted he's never been that good with starter boxes...but his BN GRP he decided to Not pre heat and make the box do all the work....well he'll be workin extra hard this week to pay me off what he owe's.

So the question is....which route do i go now.
You could go to the ofna box. LOL. I knew it would come eventually.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

I put the Traxxas 23t motors in my starter box, it worked flawlessly, I'd expect a pretty long life with those traxxas motors. They key is knowing when your car is or isn't going to start. So often I see people just hammering away on their starter box. Also having the height set correctly is key to long motor life.

If the flywheel contacts the rubber wheel BEFORE the motors spin then the load on the motors is very heavy, if they're spinning at full speed before contact the engine will fire right up and the motors will last a very long time. I think most people ignore how important the height adjustment is.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Guess I didn't realize you could adjust the height on the Losi box starter wheel. I re look at it tonight. I had the Traxxas 12T 550 motors in mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.