R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
Tech Elite
 
dishsoap's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,457
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Losi Servo Horn Hitech

Does this servo horn have a direct fit metal to metal or do you have to still use the plastic inserts.

Whats the best set up for the servo horns. I kept stripping mine last night during racing and I was using the stock servo horn on a 2.0 for steering with the plastic/nylon inserts on a 7955 servo.

It was fine until I would hit a bump and then the wheels would stay stuck to right or left.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rm-%28Hitec%29
__________________
HobbyTown USA Tucson!!! HobbyTown USA SRS!!!!
dishsoap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Tech Champion
 
air8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutch, KS
Posts: 5,748
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

No more plastic inserts to strip with the aluminum horns. Those babies are metal to metal and they bend before the splines strip out--USUALLY. But I've seen all kinds of things with these RC cars. LOL.

These Losi horns are super strong. No worries.
__________________
--Driver...you are cleared into the track.....Smoke On.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishsoap View Post
Does this servo horn have a direct fit metal to metal or do you have to still use the plastic inserts.

Whats the best set up for the servo horns. I kept stripping mine last night during racing and I was using the stock servo horn on a 2.0 for steering with the plastic/nylon inserts on a 7955 servo.

It was fine until I would hit a bump and then the wheels would stay stuck to right or left.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rm-%28Hitec%29
No inserts needed. The losi aluminum horns are very tough. I run them for steering on my hitec's in buggy and truggy. Have been running them for a few years and have yet to bend one. Some of the other aluminum horns(dynamite for instance) will bend under the load of a 7955. Losi ones have been good so far. They are a tight fit on the servo spline, and can be difficult to remove, but they do the job.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Tech Prophet
 
houston's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: portland OR
Posts: 15,088
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
No more plastic inserts to strip with the aluminum horns. Those babies are metal to metal and they bend before the splines strip out--USUALLY. But I've seen all kinds of things with these RC cars. LOL.

These Losi horns are super strong. No worries.
true air8

i would venture to say that you could possibly have had the wrong tooth spline insert for a 24tooth hitec

get the losi aluminum one for hitec
__________________
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
dishsoap's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,457
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
No more plastic inserts to strip with the aluminum horns. Those babies are metal to metal and they bend before the splines strip out--USUALLY. But I've seen all kinds of things with these RC cars. LOL.

These Losi horns are super strong. No worries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
No inserts needed. The losi aluminum horns are very tough. I run them for steering on my hitec's in buggy and truggy. Have been running them for a few years and have yet to bend one. Some of the other aluminum horns(dynamite for instance) will bend under the load of a 7955. Losi ones have been good so far. They are a tight fit on the servo spline, and can be difficult to remove, but they do the job.
Ok Nice that is what I was hoping for!!!!! The picture kind of threw me off because it looks like a plastic insert goes into to the metal horn. The fitting looks really big in the picture and doesent look like its a direct fit. I guess it is. Thanks
__________________
HobbyTown USA Tucson!!! HobbyTown USA SRS!!!!
dishsoap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,771
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
No inserts needed. The losi aluminum horns are very tough. I run them for steering on my hitec's in buggy and truggy. Have been running them for a few years and have yet to bend one. Some of the other aluminum horns(dynamite for instance) will bend under the load of a 7955. Losi ones have been good so far. They are a tight fit on the servo spline, and can be difficult to remove, but they do the job.
I've been using the Dynamite servo horns until I got my 7955. The plastic horn that came with the servo hooks up to the steering turnbuckle/rod perfectly straight so I ran that this weekend. I noticed a little understeer though. Could the arm be the problem? I also got a blue hitec aluminum servo arm but it wasnt as long and wasn't striaght (seems like the same length as the losi one). So should the link between the servo arm and steering assembly be perfectly straight or at an angle (pointing towards the left wheel)? And will the hitec arm be good?
__________________
Losi 8ight 1.5 ~ 8T ~ XXX Buggy ~ Mini-Baja

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Tech Champion
 
air8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutch, KS
Posts: 5,748
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

I've read before that different length servo arms will reult in "exponential" if that makes sense. Since the Losi was designed with the stock length it would have zero expo. A shorter steering horn would provide negative expo I think. And I think a longer horn provides positive expo. I could have that backwards so it's just an example. This could all be adjusted with in your radio settings though. But you'd need to figure out if you have positive or negative expo.
__________________
--Driver...you are cleared into the track.....Smoke On.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,771
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
I've read before that different length servo arms will reult in "exponential" if that makes sense. Since the Losi was designed with the stock length it would have zero expo. A shorter steering horn would provide negative expo I think. And I think a longer horn provides positive expo. I could have that backwards so it's just an example. This could all be adjusted with in your radio settings though. But you'd need to figure out if you have positive or negative expo.
My radio doesn't have Expo. Since I had to dremel the air filter plastic guard (the plastic thing by the air filter/servo arm/tank) becaue the arm would hit it. So it looks like I have a lot of positive expo. Would that just affect steering sensetiveness or would that reduce steering? Might explain my understeeer problem. Would the Hitec arm be better?
__________________
Losi 8ight 1.5 ~ 8T ~ XXX Buggy ~ Mini-Baja

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
I've been using the Dynamite servo horns until I got my 7955. The plastic horn that came with the servo hooks up to the steering turnbuckle/rod perfectly straight so I ran that this weekend. I noticed a little understeer though. Could the arm be the problem? I also got a blue hitec aluminum servo arm but it wasnt as long and wasn't striaght (seems like the same length as the losi one). So should the link between the servo arm and steering assembly be perfectly straight or at an angle (pointing towards the left wheel)? And will the hitec arm be good?
Best bet is to get a losi arm. But if you have the blue aluminum hitec arm, that should work fine. It may bend though. The hitec arms are pretty thin aluminum. I wouldn't use any plastic arm for steering on a buggy/truggy. They just take too much of a beating and will most likely strip or shatter.

Not sure about your understeer problem. Do you have everything set up correctly in your radio(EPA/travel)? That servo should have no problems turning the wheels. How about servo saver? Could it be too loose? It could also be in your setup or tires.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,771
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Best bet is to get a losi arm. But if you have the blue aluminum hitec arm, that should work fine. It may bend though. The hitec arms are pretty thin aluminum. I wouldn't use any plastic arm for steering on a buggy/truggy. They just take too much of a beating and will most likely strip or shatter.

Not sure about your understeer problem. Do you have everything set up correctly in your radio(EPA/travel)? That servo should have no problems turning the wheels. How about servo saver? Could it be too loose? It could also be in your setup or tires.
EPA is set correctly. I set it so it is a couple numbers down from hearing that hitting noise when the EPAs are too far. I have the truggy servo saver (as you said) and unsure about turns. Any idea on what would be a good setting for a high powered servo like the 7955tg? I probably have it around 2 turns out. I'm still getting all the kinks out of this car.......
__________________
Losi 8ight 1.5 ~ 8T ~ XXX Buggy ~ Mini-Baja

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #11
Tech Champion
 
air8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutch, KS
Posts: 5,748
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

I'd say to have everything absolutely correct, and be 100% positive it's correct, would be to get the Losi arm like JAMMIN mentioned. Plus I've only seen one Losi arm bent before. The Dynamite aluminum arms bend often also cause they're thinner than the Losi arms. I bent two of the Dynamite arms and the steering never felt right on my 1.0's until Losi came out with their aluminum arms. Then everything just magically felt awesome steering wise from then on.

For setting the servo saver: each person likes it different. I usually tighten the saver one round at a time after getting some tension on the spring which is a 1.0 truggy spring for all my Losi 8th scales. Then I tighten enough to where I can operated the saver by hand with slight difficulty. This way the saver won't open up when going through corners but it will operate should I make a mistake and pipe it, or crash off a jump.
__________________
--Driver...you are cleared into the track.....Smoke On.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:08 AM   #12
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

I have used the losi servo arms and I did not like the way they became loose on the spline after several on and off of the servo. I have switched to dynamite and the loose spline issue is fixed but I have had one bend from a hard crash.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #13
Tech Lord
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,482
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
I have used the losi servo arms and I did not like the way they became loose on the spline after several on and off of the servo. I have switched to dynamite and the loose spline issue is fixed but I have had one bend from a hard crash.


My losi horn on Hitec Is SOOOOOO tight.....i have to use side cutter's to get the darn thing off....just pinch the horn and it ride's the angeled blade on the side cutter's up and off...but DONT squeeze too hard or you will gall up the splines on the servo.
__________________
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
Tech Champion
 
air8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutch, KS
Posts: 5,748
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Hmmmmm....I've never checked the Losi horns for being tight or for extra play. I'll check that this evening. I noticec my truggy 1.0 had some wobble around the servo spline shaft but I thought the servo had just taken a lifetime of beatings. Maybe that bad boy is ok. I'll post up what I find.
__________________
--Driver...you are cleared into the track.....Smoke On.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got to Love Hitech Bigedmond Nitro Off-Road 37 04-08-2009 06:50 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:51 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net