R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Losi Servo Horn Hitech (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/302926-losi-servo-horn-hitech.html)

dishsoap 06-07-2009 12:27 PM

Losi Servo Horn Hitech

Does this servo horn have a direct fit metal to metal or do you have to still use the plastic inserts.

Whats the best set up for the servo horns. I kept stripping mine last night during racing and I was using the stock servo horn on a 2.0 for steering with the plastic/nylon inserts on a 7955 servo.

It was fine until I would hit a bump and then the wheels would stay stuck to right or left.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rm-%28Hitec%29

air8 06-07-2009 12:30 PM

No more plastic inserts to strip with the aluminum horns. Those babies are metal to metal and they bend before the splines strip out--USUALLY. But I've seen all kinds of things with these RC cars. LOL.

These Losi horns are super strong. No worries.

JAMMINKRAZY 06-07-2009 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by dishsoap (Post 5907690)
Does this servo horn have a direct fit metal to metal or do you have to still use the plastic inserts.

Whats the best set up for the servo horns. I kept stripping mine last night during racing and I was using the stock servo horn on a 2.0 for steering with the plastic/nylon inserts on a 7955 servo.

It was fine until I would hit a bump and then the wheels would stay stuck to right or left.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rm-%28Hitec%29

No inserts needed. The losi aluminum horns are very tough. I run them for steering on my hitec's in buggy and truggy. Have been running them for a few years and have yet to bend one. Some of the other aluminum horns(dynamite for instance) will bend under the load of a 7955. Losi ones have been good so far. They are a tight fit on the servo spline, and can be difficult to remove, but they do the job.:nod:

houston 06-07-2009 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by air8 (Post 5907701)
No more plastic inserts to strip with the aluminum horns. Those babies are metal to metal and they bend before the splines strip out--USUALLY. But I've seen all kinds of things with these RC cars. LOL.

true air8

i would venture to say that you could possibly have had the wrong tooth spline insert for a 24tooth hitec ;)

get the losi aluminum one for hitec :nod:

dishsoap 06-07-2009 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by air8 (Post 5907701)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY (Post 5907703)
No inserts needed. The losi aluminum horns are very tough. I run them for steering on my hitec's in buggy and truggy. Have been running them for a few years and have yet to bend one. Some of the other aluminum horns(dynamite for instance) will bend under the load of a 7955. Losi ones have been good so far. They are a tight fit on the servo spline, and can be difficult to remove, but they do the job.:nod:

Ok Nice that is what I was hoping for!!!!! The picture kind of threw me off because it looks like a plastic insert goes into to the metal horn. The fitting looks really big in the picture and doesent look like its a direct fit. I guess it is. Thanks

Chris__RC 06-07-2009 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY (Post 5907703)

I've been using the Dynamite servo horns until I got my 7955. The plastic horn that came with the servo hooks up to the steering turnbuckle/rod perfectly straight so I ran that this weekend. I noticed a little understeer though. Could the arm be the problem? I also got a blue hitec aluminum servo arm but it wasnt as long and wasn't striaght (seems like the same length as the losi one). So should the link between the servo arm and steering assembly be perfectly straight or at an angle (pointing towards the left wheel)? And will the hitec arm be good?

air8 06-07-2009 12:40 PM

I've read before that different length servo arms will reult in "exponential" if that makes sense. Since the Losi was designed with the stock length it would have zero expo. A shorter steering horn would provide negative expo I think. And I think a longer horn provides positive expo. I could have that backwards so it's just an example. This could all be adjusted with in your radio settings though. But you'd need to figure out if you have positive or negative expo.

Chris__RC 06-07-2009 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by air8 (Post 5907743)
I've read before that different length servo arms will reult in "exponential" if that makes sense. Since the Losi was designed with the stock length it would have zero expo. A shorter steering horn would provide negative expo I think. And I think a longer horn provides positive expo. I could have that backwards so it's just an example. This could all be adjusted with in your radio settings though. But you'd need to figure out if you have positive or negative expo.

My radio doesn't have Expo. Since I had to dremel the air filter plastic guard (the plastic thing by the air filter/servo arm/tank) becaue the arm would hit it. So it looks like I have a lot of positive expo. Would that just affect steering sensetiveness or would that reduce steering? Might explain my understeeer problem. Would the Hitec arm be better?

JAMMINKRAZY 06-07-2009 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chris__RC (Post 5907722)
I've been using the Dynamite servo horns until I got my 7955. The plastic horn that came with the servo hooks up to the steering turnbuckle/rod perfectly straight so I ran that this weekend. I noticed a little understeer though. Could the arm be the problem? I also got a blue hitec aluminum servo arm but it wasnt as long and wasn't striaght (seems like the same length as the losi one). So should the link between the servo arm and steering assembly be perfectly straight or at an angle (pointing towards the left wheel)? And will the hitec arm be good?

Best bet is to get a losi arm. But if you have the blue aluminum hitec arm, that should work fine. It may bend though. The hitec arms are pretty thin aluminum. I wouldn't use any plastic arm for steering on a buggy/truggy. They just take too much of a beating and will most likely strip or shatter.

Not sure about your understeer problem.:confused: Do you have everything set up correctly in your radio(EPA/travel)? That servo should have no problems turning the wheels. How about servo saver? Could it be too loose? It could also be in your setup or tires.:nod:

Chris__RC 06-07-2009 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY (Post 5908055)
Best bet is to get a losi arm. But if you have the blue aluminum hitec arm, that should work fine. It may bend though. The hitec arms are pretty thin aluminum. I wouldn't use any plastic arm for steering on a buggy/truggy. They just take too much of a beating and will most likely strip or shatter.

Not sure about your understeer problem.:confused: Do you have everything set up correctly in your radio(EPA/travel)? That servo should have no problems turning the wheels. How about servo saver? Could it be too loose? It could also be in your setup or tires.:nod:

EPA is set correctly. I set it so it is a couple numbers down from hearing that hitting noise when the EPAs are too far. I have the truggy servo saver (as you said) and unsure about turns. Any idea on what would be a good setting for a high powered servo like the 7955tg? I probably have it around 2 turns out. I'm still getting all the kinks out of this car.......

air8 06-08-2009 06:49 AM

I'd say to have everything absolutely correct, and be 100% positive it's correct, would be to get the Losi arm like JAMMIN mentioned. Plus I've only seen one Losi arm bent before. The Dynamite aluminum arms bend often also cause they're thinner than the Losi arms. I bent two of the Dynamite arms and the steering never felt right on my 1.0's until Losi came out with their aluminum arms. Then everything just magically felt awesome steering wise from then on.

For setting the servo saver: each person likes it different. I usually tighten the saver one round at a time after getting some tension on the spring which is a 1.0 truggy spring for all my Losi 8th scales. Then I tighten enough to where I can operated the saver by hand with slight difficulty. This way the saver won't open up when going through corners but it will operate should I make a mistake and pipe it, or crash off a jump.

Frank L 06-08-2009 07:08 AM

I have used the losi servo arms and I did not like the way they became loose on the spline after several on and off of the servo. I have switched to dynamite and the loose spline issue is fixed but I have had one bend from a hard crash.

Integra 06-08-2009 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 5911146)
I have used the losi servo arms and I did not like the way they became loose on the spline after several on and off of the servo. I have switched to dynamite and the loose spline issue is fixed but I have had one bend from a hard crash.

My losi horn on Hitec Is SOOOOOO tight.....i have to use side cutter's to get the darn thing off....just pinch the horn and it ride's the angeled blade on the side cutter's up and off...but DONT squeeze too hard or you will gall up the splines on the servo. :nod:

air8 06-08-2009 12:43 PM

Hmmmmm....I've never checked the Losi horns for being tight or for extra play. I'll check that this evening. I noticec my truggy 1.0 had some wobble around the servo spline shaft but I thought the servo had just taken a lifetime of beatings. Maybe that bad boy is ok. I'll post up what I find.