R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default I'm looking for...

Hey, I am new to the RC Car hobby (I normally fly RC Helicopter's) and I am looking to buy my first setup. So, I need help figuring out exactly what I need to make this happen. Here is what I am thinking; I think I want either a 1/8 or 1/10 Nitro setup for Off Road.

Let me be clear on this point, I want an AWESOME setup!

Money isn't too much of an issue BUT that does not mean I want some crazy expensive stuff like turbines. I just want a really good and solid system that I can easily get parts for but that is no slouch when racing. I want a setup and car that other people will respect.

Also, how do electric cars compare to nitro ones? Not only in the amount of power but in the amount of time you can run on 1 battery pack as compared to a tank of nitro? And how do they compare cost wise when all is said and done?

Lastly, what are the best online shops to buy everything from, with price and customer service being the most important factors?

That being said, let me have it guys, what and where should I buy?

Old 06-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeKrew View Post
Hey, I am new to the RC Car hobby (I normally fly RC Helicopter's) and I am looking to buy my first setup. So, I need help figuring out exactly what I need to make this happen. Here is what I am thinking; I think I want either a 1/8 or 1/10 Nitro setup for Off Road.

Let me be clear on this point, I want an AWESOME setup!

Money isn't too much of an issue BUT that does not mean I want some crazy expensive stuff like turbines. I just want a really good and solid system that I can easily get parts for but that is no slouch when racing. I want a setup and car that other people will respect.

Also, how do electric cars compare to nitro ones? Not only in the amount of power but in the amount of time you can run on 1 battery pack as compared to a tank of nitro? And how do they compare cost wise when all is said and done?

Lastly, what are the best online shops to buy everything from, with price and customer service being the most important factors?

That being said, let me have it guys, what and where should I buy?

whats best in your area? 1/8th scale is big everywhere i think. as far as parts ae and losi are prob your best bet for availability

the best value to get started with is a rtr. losi has the best rtr out there right now, i dont think anyone can disagree there.

but if money isnt an issue i would get the 8t 2.0 pro roller. then jr or hitec servos(servos are another pissing match so i wont get into it) and for engine you cant go wrong with novarossi. vspecs are very good engines too but os has bad customer service, so if you get a lemon you kinda have a 300 paper weight.

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:15 AM   #3
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Find and visit local tracks that you might wish to race at. Hang out there for the day and ask tons of questions. Most people are glad to help new people get started. As far a brands, find the local hobby shops in your area and see what they suggest and have parts on hand for. Starting off, your local store can be your best friend. Beware of "chain" stores. For ease of learning to drive you might want to start with a truck or truggy. Much easier to learn to drive. The buggies are faster but more difficult to drive while learning. Get in touch with Monty Houston who has threads on here. He is a great resource for engines and tons of other valuable information. He helped me get off to a great start in this my rookie year outdoors.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
whats best in your area? 1/8th scale is big everywhere i think. as far as parts ae and losi are prob your best bet for availability

the best value to get started with is a rtr. losi has the best rtr out there right now, i dont think anyone can disagree there.

but if money isnt an issue i would get the 8t 2.0 pro roller. then jr or hitec servos(servos are another pissing match so i wont get into it) and for engine you cant go wrong with novarossi. vspecs are very good engines too but os has bad customer service, so if you get a lemon you kinda have a 300 paper weight.
100% correct in the above answer. However I will add that Mugens are good as well. I would go on what your lhs carries first. The losi 2.0 Truggy will be the easiest to learn on. Thats Truggys in general are easier to drive and learn. Novarossi engines are the industry standard to which all are judged and compared to. I would go with HI Tech servos JR has started being crappy about there warranties. Radios are really a matter of choice go to your lhs and hold several in your hand see which is more comfortable.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:43 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If your looking to dabble i would go losi 8 2.0 RTR truggy.
Other wise
Losi 8 2.0 truggy
engine: RB c6 USA spec (in truggy or buggy if your feeling ballsy) buggy RB ws9
Radio: in order fav on:1 futaba 4pk 2 futaba 3pk 3 ko propo helios
Servos:In truggy i like the hitechs (more trq) in buggy i like the futaba BLS
Starter box: Ofna truggy Box
Tires: I would get your self 2-3 new sets of what is running good at your track
Beverage: Sam adams
And have fun
buggydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:50 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Well since no one has said it, I will. Go electric! The brushless 1/8 scales are amazing. I can run my Losi 8ight E for over 20 minutes at race pace with a 5S 4100 and 1700kV motor. A lot of folks who bash electrics haven't ever raced them. I have raced nitro and electric, and electric is much faster with a torque curve that is at 100% just about all the time. I still really like nitro, but I can't stand tinkering with clutch bearings, clutch springs, clutch shoes, glow plugs, and the starter box. Not to mention fuel being $30/gallon now. Electric is more expensive up front, but the costs are well justified. A well setup electric can easily run a year with only diff and shock maintenance.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
Well since no one has said it, I will. Go electric! The brushless 1/8 scales are amazing. I can run my Losi 8ight E for over 20 minutes at race pace with a 5S 4100 and 1700kV motor. A lot of folks who bash electrics haven't ever raced them. I have raced nitro and electric, and electric is much faster with a torque curve that is at 100% just about all the time. I still really like nitro, but I can't stand tinkering with clutch bearings, clutch springs, clutch shoes, glow plugs, and the starter box. Not to mention fuel being $30/gallon now. Electric is more expensive up front, but the costs are well justified. A well setup electric can easily run a year with only diff and shock maintenance.
Electric is a very fun class. I don't have one but I have driven one and they are fast! The only problem I have with them is that they are just too quiet . I love the sound and smell of nitro and driving a brushless setup gave me a flashback to when I used to run electric in the early 90's . If you want to race go see what classes are popular at your local track first. It would really suck to buy something then go to the track and find out that nobody races that class at your track .
Old 06-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Thanks Everyone for all the great advice! So, who has the best online store with the best online prices to buy all this at?
Old 06-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks Everyone for all the great advice! So, who has the best online store with the best online prices to buy all this at?
amainhobbies.com and carolinasrc.com

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
A-main, http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php

as a fellow heli pilot (15 years) i would recomend going nitro over electric. i use OS v-spec's for my engines. you will find tunning them is very very easy after tunning helis, plus the v-spec has a mid range needle on it. as in helis, it's a very usefull tool, but 98% of the people don't touch it. if you fly miniture aircraft, burgen, synergy or robbie, you will have a tough time at first with a losi. they like alot of slop in them (witch drives us heli pilots nuts) but if you try to shim it out, it will be darty, so get use to the slop. i would recomend the losi buggy for you because of your heli experance. i found truggys (to me) are not as much fun as buggys.

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

for all of your needs.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scripts/default.asp

If you are looking for something in an RTR package to get you going, it is very hard to pass up the new losi 2.0 RTR's.
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...dproduct=12643
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...dproduct=13200

And if you are looking for an all out race setup, the losi 2.0 Race Roller's fit the bill.
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...dProduct=11121
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...dProduct=12087

As for engines for one of the rollers, some of my favorites are...
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=3240
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...dproduct=11957

Servos, well nothing can touch the hitec 7955.
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=9980

Radio
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=7302

Pipe
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=5120
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=2196

Battery
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=5784

Starter box
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=4845

LOL that pretty much caps it off. Gives you a good idea of what is already included in the RTR's. One of the RTR's is definately a good bet.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
Tech Master

it's tough to argue with jammin on the rtr front, but only with the losi rtr. any other rtr setup doesn't hold a "fart in the wind" compared to losi. Carolina rc is great and i've ordered from them many times but A-main is in calf. and shipping will be quicker for you in wa.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck View Post
as a fellow heli pilot (15 years) i would recomend going nitro over electric. i use OS v-spec's for my engines. you will find tunning them is very very easy after tunning helis, plus the v-spec has a mid range needle on it. as in helis, it's a very usefull tool, but 98% of the people don't touch it. if you fly miniture aircraft, burgen, synergy or robbie, you will have a tough time at first with a losi. they like alot of slop in them (witch drives us heli pilots nuts) but if you try to shim it out, it will be darty, so get use to the slop. i would recomend the losi buggy for you because of your heli experance. i found truggys (to me) are not as much fun as buggys.

Thanks for the insight JRWC! Whats with the Slop? So I guess I won't have to pull out my Calipers when working on an RC Car?
Old 06-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks for the insight JRWC! Whats with the Slop? So I guess I won't have to pull out my Calipers when working on an RC Car?
i don't know why it works better with slop, and a cheap pair of calipers are handy. i have a $450.00 set of calipers and dail indicator that i keep for my helis, but a $10.00 set for my cars. i've thought about dail indicating my flywheel, but never got around to it. i balance all my tires, and you also being a heli pilot, you will do the same. i will tell you that cars are easer to drive than flying helis, but being fast at cars is the same as 3d flying.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
for all of your needs.

hyperlinks deleted

If you are looking for something in an RTR package to get you going, it is very hard to pass up the new losi 2.0 RTR's.
hyperlinks deleted

And if you are looking for an all out race setup, the losi 2.0 Race Roller's fit the bill.
hyperlinks deleted

As for engines for one of the rollers, some of my favorites are...
hyperlinks deleted

Servos, well nothing can touch the hitec 7955.
hyperlinks deleted

Radio
hyperlinks deleted

Pipe
hyperlinks deleted

Battery
hyperlinks deleted

Starter box
hyperlinks deleted

LOL that pretty much caps it off. Gives you a good idea of what is already included in the RTR's. One of the RTR's is definately a good bet.

Awesome Jammin, thanks! So I take it that you work for Carolinas RC?