R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck View Post
i don't know why it works better with slop, and a cheap pair of calipers are handy. i have a $450.00 set of calipers and dail indicator that i keep for my helis, but a $10.00 set for my cars. i've thought about dail indicating my flywheel, but never got around to it. i balance all my tires, and you also being a heli pilot, you will balance yours too. i will tell you that cars are easer to drive than flying helis, but being fast at cars is the same as 3d flying.

If you don't mind JRWC, I am going to keep your name handy in case I need someone to translate for me. Translate from RCCar speak to RCHeli speak.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #17
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeKrew View Post
If you don't mind JRWC, I am going to keep your name handy in case I need someone to translate for me. Translate from RCCar speak to RCHeli speak.
no problem, just pm me when you have a question.

woodchuck!

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

Now I am a bit confused. What is the difference between a Losi 8IGHT 2.0 Race Roller and a Losi 8IGHT 2.0 RTR, other than the $50?

The only thing I see is that the RTR comes with a helluva lot of extra stuff for the fifty bucks. With the Race Roller you still have to buy the engine and electronics and even the controller, all expensive stuff, just for it to MATCH the RTR and it is ONLY fifty dollars cheaper!?!?

I MUST be missing something here!
Old 06-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
Now I am a bit confused. What is the difference between a Losi 8IGHT 2.0 Race Roller and a Losi 8IGHT 2.0 RTR, other than the $50?

The only thing I see is that the RTR comes with a helluva lot of extra stuff for the fifty bucks. With the Race Roller you still have to buy the engine and electronics and even the controller, all expensive stuff, just for it to MATCH the RTR and it is ONLY fifty dollars cheaper!?!?

I MUST be missing something here!
the best way to say is the race roller is a T-rex pro, and the rtr is a regular T-rex. the race roller is better, if you can swing it. and then you can put in a "611 gyro" vs it already comming with a "240 gyro".

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #20
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck View Post
the best way to say is the race roller is a T-rex pro, and the rtr is a regular T-rex. the race roller is better, if you can swing it. and then you can put in a "611 gyro" vs it already comming with a "240 gyro".

So, if I wanted to at some point, I could convert my RTR to an RR if I wanted to?

What EXACTLY are the differences then between the two?
Old 06-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Awesome Jammin, thanks! So I take it that you work for Carolinas RC?
Just a VERRY HAPPY customer. They have been great to me so I HAVE to support them. Thier prices are generally cheaper, and shipping is always cheaper to me. They also have great specials and discounts. Awesome place.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Quote:
So, if I wanted to at some point, I could convert my RTR to an RR if I wanted to?

What EXACTLY are the differences then between the two?
There are differences in parts quality, but nothing different in design. So yeah, you could convert to a RR over time whan parts wear out. That's what most guys do if they go the RTR route. The main parts differences are in the chassis and shock towers. The driveline is all the same unlike most RTR's so you already have a bulletproof drivetrain. The losi RTR's are really something great.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #23
Tech Initiate

OK, I am just about ready to order a Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR. The remaining question now is Buggy or Truggy?!?! Other than the .21 engine on the Buggy and .28 on the Truggy what are the differences?

JRWC already suggested the Buggy vs Truggy for me being that I am also an RC Heli pilot, but I am hoping to get some more specifics so I can make more of a calculated and informed decision.

Thanks!!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

Bump.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Quote:
OK, I am just about ready to order a Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR. The remaining question now is Buggy or Truggy?!?! Other than the .21 engine on the Buggy and .28 on the Truggy what are the differences?

JRWC already suggested the Buggy vs Truggy for me being that I am also an RC Heli pilot, but I am hoping to get some more specifics so I can make more of a calculated and informed decision.

Thanks!!!!
Well obvious differences are that truggies are wider, longer, use truck tires and a truck body. What this equates to is a more stable, easier to drive vehicle. Truggies handle the rough better, and stay planted more than a buggy. They don't get out of shape as easily as a buggy and are more forgiving. From the get go you will be faster with a truggy, however in the long run driving a buggy will teach you TONS more, thus you will be a better driver in the end. Buggies are more nimble, and usually faster on most tracks. Again buggies are harder to drive and less forgiving than a truggy, so you will most likely be slower in the beginning than you would with a truggy. Also truggies are much better for bashing, so if you plan to bash at all you will want a truggy. Buggies are also still more popular, and competitive than truggies. You really can't go wrong with either. I run both and love both, but they are different. Hope that helps some.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #26
Tech Initiate

Thanks Jammin! But why the difference in the engine size between the two? Won't the .28 powered Truggy out perform the .21 powered Buggy as well as just outright run faster too? Why not a .28 in both or even a .21 in both, or vice versa...???
Old 06-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #27
Tech Initiate

Thanks Jammin! But why the difference in the engine size between the two? Won't the .28 powered Truggy out perform the .21 powered Buggy as well as just outright run faster too? Why not a .28 in both or even a .21 in both, or vice versa...???
Old 06-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #28
Tech Initiate

Darn Computer triple posted the same message. Sorry!!

Last edited by HomeKrew; 06-11-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Computer Error
HomeKrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #29
Tech Regular

.21 is the limit for buggy .28 for truggy but a lot of people run the .21's in both. A good .21 will have enough power and better run time plus its just easier to control.

And yeah, whats up with rctech, been having trouble all week.
Gliptal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:31 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Ok... all I've seen posted is Losi Losi Losi...

Granted, for the RTR version, nobody else makes anything that stacks up- the Losi is the ONLY RTR worthy of the name. I'd still consider replacing the steering servo right up front- it isn't really quite up to the task long term. Other than that it is awesome. GREAT radio, engine, (it is a class legal .21 in the RTR buggy unlike the others!) etc. and comes with a starter box rather than shaft start or pull start. If you want an RTR, don't even bother to look at anything else until another manufacturer steps up and meets the standard Losi set.

HOWEVER...

Losi is a bit finicky on maintenance. It is like the difference between a Ferrari and an Acura NSX... the Ferrari will be in the shop more than on the road, and the Acura needs an oil change every few thousand miles.

That's not to say the Losi will fail and let you down- it just means you are going to invest a lot of time and a significantly higher parts count in keeping it in tip-top shape. On the plus side, Losi parts are relatively cheap.

My personal favorite is the XRay truggy. NOBODY matches Xray on parts quality, fit and finish, etc. NOBODY. PERIOD. The drivetrain components will last longer than anything out there. (Drivetrain parts are the most expensive parts to replace too...)

If I were looking at "Pro kits" or "Race Rollers" (essentially a factory assembled Pro Kit) I would be hard pressed to pick between the Mugen and the Xray. Mugen is probably second to Xray on quality and fit. The Xray is a bit easier to work on due to some design differences (captured hingepins and so forth) but both of those are solid, reliable buggies/truggies.

My choices (in order) would be:

* Xray
* Mugen
(* a virtual tie)
Losi
Jammin (quite a bit down the list from the Losi actually)

Buggy vs. Truggy:

I choose to drive a Truggy because it is easier. The buggy requires faster reactions and more skill. Things happen faster in the buggy- it turns faster, accelerates faster, and wrecks quicker. It takes more skill and concentration to be fast with the buggy. If you have the motor skills, buggy is probably more fun. If you don't, the truggy will suit you much better.

Overall in performance (lap times) there is very little difference, and it depends on track layout- on a smooth, tight track, the buggy is faster. On a rough track with less tight turns, the truggy is faster. On most tracks the lap times between buggy and truggy are within a second of each other for equal caliber drivers.

Truggies are a little harder on driveline parts, so for brands that already have high driveline wear (Losi and Jammin for example) the wear factor is magnified. On brands that have better quality metal in the driveline (Xray is WAY ahead of any other there, but Mugen is good too) it isn't as much of a factor.

Tire wear on the buggy on the other hand is MUCH higher than the truggy. Buggy tires (in my personal experience with local track conditions) are good for 1 race weekend... truggy tires, although they cost half again as much, are good for 5 or 6 weekends usually. Do the math.

Trucks use a bit more fuel, and are a bit harder on engines and clutches.

I don't think you will be unhappy with either choice... as for 1/10th, there is a reason we don't even talk about those. There just isn't enough of a following to race them. Don't waste your time and money.

Electric vs. Nitro-

Electric will be INSANELY powerful and quick, and you will get more runtime out of a battery than a tank of nitro. BUT... a pit stop for a nitro vehicle is just a squirt of fuel... a battery change is significantly more involved. In a long main, you'll spend a LOT more overall time in the pits (even if you only had to pit ONCE for a battery change!) than with a nitro vehicle.

I hope that was at least somewhat helpful.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote