R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Cool pull start hyper .21 engine

Hi,
I have this problem
about two weeks ago I "broke" my pull starter
So I went out and bought a new one ( I know I should have fixed it myself.. I am too lazy!!
Now with new starter in and not too tightly screwed in ( the pull cable does not retract all the way in when the pull starter is screwed in all the way..) it is giving me the same problem as the old one did before it came apart. Which is when I pull the starter some times it misses--- you don't hear the piston go up and down and there is no resistance on the pull string. This happens randomly..
any how I took the pull starter off and the cog was almost out of the plastic housing..
so i push it back in.. (now this is a band new pull starter I had just opened moments before)
also the one way bearing and the shaft is stuck in the new pull starter.. this is what happened to the old pull starter
any suggestions.. what am i doing wrong!?!
trinbagonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Unfortunately pull starters are unreliable. My suggestion would be to get some lower profile engine mounts and buy a starter box. You could still keep the pull starter on the engine while doing this or you could buy a new back plate and remove the one way bearing (this will give your engine a bit more power as well because of less resistance from the one way bearing).
'If you have nothing useful or funny to say in a forum don't say it, it saves sifting through the c*@p'- Still people don't listen..lol
AusAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusAnt View Post
Unfortunately pull starters are unreliable. My suggestion would be to get some lower profile engine mounts and buy a starter box. You could still keep the pull starter on the engine while doing this or you could buy a new back plate and remove the one way bearing (this will give your engine a bit more power as well because of less resistance from the one way bearing).
so the question is now... you think there is nothing wrong with the engine then!!
Old 06-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

..Replace the one way bearing and the shaft..Put a light oil on the shaft that goes in the one way bearing..then lock down the pullstart..keep backing out the screws until it works good, your engine, and pullstart are fine, your one way, and shaft are shot
Old 06-07-2009, 01:57 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
..Replace the one way bearing and the shaft..Put a light oil on the shaft that goes in the one way bearing..then lock down the pullstart..keep backing out the screws until it works good, your engine, and pullstart are fine, your one way, and shaft are shot
Ok is there any way to get the shaft out of the pull starter without destroying the pull starter
Old 06-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Unscrew the pullstart, the shaft pulls out by hand..then unscrew the backplate to get to the one way. Take the piston off the one way, put a new one way in, connect it to the piston..Pay attention that you put it back the same way you took it off. Screw the backplate on, lightly oil the new shaft (Use after run oil), insert it into the hole in the backplate, screw your pullstart back on tight..if it still does not work properly, slowly unscrew the pullsart one screw at a time, 1/2 turn (all screws) until it works like it should