Wiki Posts
Search

Rx Pack: Nimh Vs. Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Rx Pack: Nimh Vs. Lipo

I'm in the market to buy a Rx pack for my Xb8 and was trying to decide between Lipo and Nimh. I am in no way new to lipo, but wasn't sure if Lipo is accentual. Please give me some insight as to if a Nimh will work well for me or if i should go to lipo. I've got a BEC and was wondering if that would work as a regulator?

Thank You

PM me if you have a receiver pack that you want to sell!

Last edited by Cory Kerber; 06-06-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cory Kerber
I'm in the market to buy a Rx pack for my Xb8 and was trying to decide between Lipo and Nimh. I am in no way new to lipo, but wasn't sure if Lipo is accentual. Please give me some insight as to if a Nimh will work well for me or if i should go to lipo. I've got a BEC and was wondering if that would work as a regulator?

Thank You

PM me if you have a receiver pack that you want to sell!
nimh is good as long as you charge after 10 min of run time i had lipo was cool charge night before and dont worry until regs. kept breaking and final straw was hot day lipo puff at the cost of lipo and reg. can buy 4 nimh packs and witch out each run of race day i will stay with nimh 4 now till lipo gets cheaper
Old 06-07-2009, 12:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you've got the money to throw at a lipo pack go for it. They are better, but they are so expensive I don't think it is worth it. A good 1600mah ni-mh pack will give you 2 hours of run time with average digital servos. If you've got super power hog servos (e.g. JR9100 series) then you'll be looking at about an hour of run time. My 808 will run for about an hour and a half on 800mah (thats a 3 year old $12 venom 1200mah pack, works great!!).

The lower weight of a lipo pack also throws off the L/R balance of the buggy. If your running the xb808 then a lipo will probably put you below the legal wieght limit too. If you've got the old XB8 then the weight savings might be something you could use

Also running a lipo with a regulator has a much higher chance of failure than a ni-mh pack.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

depends what type of driving you do. nihm you will have to change out/charge much more often, especially if you have fancy servos because they need major JUICE

just use a high mah lipo, my 2000mah pack for the 8ight is a big batt but provides a lot of runtime
Old 06-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think i am just going to stay with Nimh, because i want something i know will not fail me. I don't mind charging, because i come from an electric background. Will 1600s provide a noticeable difference compared to a 1400, 1100?