Wiki Posts
Search

Matrix R-2 or XTM XT-2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Matrix R-2 or XTM XT-2?

This will be my first nitro car, which is better and why?
Thanks for your input.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a cen matrix c-1, The cen has been very good, the r-2 is a light, updated version of the c-1 so I would think it would treat you well. The one I own is heavy, but its built like a tank and I have yet to break a part on it. This wasn't my first nitro, but it was my first 1/8 scale, and look at it all now, I will tell everyone to get your hands on the losi eight 2.0 rtr. Sure its $600 plus, but in the end you'll spend that much on any other rtr. Between the radio and starter box, .21 engine, plus the fact that the eight is a much better buggy. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you get the XT2 get the XT2 Racer.
It has a .21(racing legal), proline bowties, Cirrus fm 10 model radio, and imo, the best rtr servos. I have the XST and it is a great, durable truggy. Not a high end, but a great first time racer.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I own a couple of the older Cen Matrix C-1 buggies. The Matrix RTR was my first nitro rig. They are good cars especially for a beginner. They are affordable and tough as nails. I have had my Matrix RTR since 2005 and the only thing I broke was a wing mount. You will eventually need to upgrade the servos. The stock Cen servos are really slow and I doubt they have the 144 oz/in of torque that Cen claims. The Cen Matrix is heavy especially compared to the newer buggies on the market but I found that the extra weight really help make the car feel more stable and easier to drive.

Although I really like my Matrix, if I had to do it all over again, I would buy a proven kit or race roller from a reputable manufacturer. I put a lot of money into my Matrix to make them more competitive.

If you are going to get into racing, I would recommend saving a little more money and buy a decent kit or race roller. Or take the advice from Trail Blazer and get an 8ight RTR. Even though it cost significantly more than a Matrix or XTM, you will have a race proven platform and decent radio.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Regular

Not had much experience with CEN but i know the XT-2 are a good buggy. Built like a tank. The 25 engine has plenty of power and may not be legal but lets face it you could still race it as a beginner if you wanted to. If you don't want to race it is a really good basher buggy.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I picked up the R2 Buggy and love it. The only thing that needed attention was the shocks as they are plastic. Other than that the weight reduction CEN did on this buggy was great. I say it is right up there with the rest now. It is still the best bang for the buck in my opinion.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

you may also want to check out www.casterracingusa.com The product support is second to none great team and the owner is the best. Just a suggestion.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks for all the input, I may end up saving for the Losi but its tough when I have the cash for one of the others now )