Wiki Posts
Search

lipo with/without regulator ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default lipo with/without regulator ?

I want to know if anyone is running a futaba reciever without a 6.0 volt regulator using a 7.4 lipo reciver pack. will they hold up to the higher volts.

Thanks Ken
Old 06-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I am using a 2 cell lipo on my 75mhz receiver and so far no problems. I have only ran my lipos for 2 months now so only time will tell but so far no issues.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I had the same question so I emailed futuba and was advised by product support lead tech John G futuba does not recommend the use of lipo batteries with there recievers
Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by race raider
I had the same question so I emailed futuba and was advised by product support lead tech John G futuba does not recommend the use of lipo batteries with there recievers
.... without using a regulator and ferrites"... volts are volts, amps are amps.

To note... I initially screwed up when plugging my 2cell pack into my KO302F RX... didn't last long (1mn max) as I quickly spotted I had screwed up the wiring, but during that minute it worked perfectly.

I heard the spektrum rx'es are spec'ed all the way up to 9V.

anyways - play it safe, and use a $20 regulator on your $1500+ toy

Paul
Old 06-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i got the same answer from futaba, but i wanted to get the most out of my hitech 7955's. most of the other radio'swill handle the higher volts.

thanks Guys
Old 06-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Tech Addict

Man I'm running a spektrum dx3r , hi-tec 7955 with a 1500 mah 7.4 v 2s lipo and I am at wits end, the damn thing will run flawless at one race and do nothing but glitch at the next race. It glitches in the exact same 4 spots on the track. I guess I'll have to put the damn regulator back in it unless someone has a better idea. This is suppose to work without a regulator.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joey Platinum
Man I'm running a spektrum dx3r , hi-tec 7955 with a 1500 mah 7.4 v 2s lipo and I am at wits end, the damn thing will run flawless at one race and do nothing but glitch at the next race. It glitches in the exact same 4 spots on the track. I guess I'll have to put the damn regulator back in it unless someone has a better idea. This is suppose to work without a regulator.
Do you have the antenna all the way up and not 50% inside the receiver box? I have the same setup with a nimh battery pack and it would glitch in 2 spots. I was running a very short antenna. Then I made sure the antenna was all in the tube and even left it bent back under the body and no more glitching.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Addict

No, I was not but someone at the track told me if there was enough excess wire inside the batt/rx box , to form a loop that it would cause it to glitch....so I used all of the length in the ant. tube and the problem is still there. It happens in the exact same spots on our track.It seems that if I re-bind the problem goes away for about 2 min. and then slowly comes back.Thanks for the reply! I have thought about trying to some how drain off some voltage to about 5.5 volts and see if the glitching dissappears but i do not know how to effectively/quickly drain off some voltage without damaging the lipo.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

No, I was not but someone at the track told me if there was enough excess wire inside the batt/rx box , to form a loop that it would cause it to glitch....so I used all of the length in the ant. tube and the problem is still there. It happens in the exact same spots on our track.It seems that if I re-bind the problem goes away for about 2 min. and then slowly comes back.Thanks for the reply! I have thought about trying to some how drain off some voltage to about 5.5 volts and see if the glitching dissappears but i do not know how to effectively/quickly drain off some voltage without damaging the lipo.

DO NOT Discharge the lipo to 5.5v WHAT EVER You do. BIG NONO
Old 06-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
DO NOT Discharge the lipo to 5.5v WHAT EVER You do. BIG NONO
+1

You can try to get an adjustable regulator that goes down to 5v and try that.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I had the same thing happen with a 3PK and spektrum with Hitec 7955tg's. Put a Orion adjustable regulator on Sat. and set it a 6.4v and no problems at all
Old 06-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

I had the thing running flawlessly with an mpi regulator and started trying sh-t to make it a cleaner looking batt. box. You know they say if it aint broke don't fix it. I just wish I could run un-regulated, I guess I'll have to put the regulator back in there. Thanks!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 05:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

do you know if i can run jr 9100t servo without a reg on spectrum. i know the reciever can take it but what about the servoes