R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   lipo with/without regulator ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/302222-lipo-without-regulator.html)

ken jolly 06-04-2009 07:30 AM

lipo with/without regulator ?

I want to know if anyone is running a futaba reciever without a 6.0 volt regulator using a 7.4 lipo reciver pack. will they hold up to the higher volts.

Thanks Ken

jpz_67 06-04-2009 08:20 AM

I am using a 2 cell lipo on my 75mhz receiver and so far no problems. I have only ran my lipos for 2 months now so only time will tell but so far no issues.

race raider 06-04-2009 08:27 AM

I had the same question so I emailed futuba and was advised by product support lead tech John G futuba does not recommend the use of lipo batteries with there recievers

Lonestar 06-04-2009 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by race raider (Post 5896460)
I had the same question so I emailed futuba and was advised by product support lead tech John G futuba does not recommend the use of lipo batteries with there recievers

.... without using a regulator and ferrites"... volts are volts, amps are amps.

To note... I initially screwed up when plugging my 2cell pack into my KO302F RX... didn't last long (1mn max) as I quickly spotted I had screwed up the wiring, but during that minute it worked perfectly.

I heard the spektrum rx'es are spec'ed all the way up to 9V.

anyways - play it safe, and use a $20 regulator on your $1500+ toy

Paul

ken jolly 06-04-2009 03:56 PM

i got the same answer from futaba, but i wanted to get the most out of my hitech 7955's. most of the other radio'swill handle the higher volts.

thanks Guys

Joey Platinum 06-06-2009 03:20 PM

Man I'm running a spektrum dx3r , hi-tec 7955 with a 1500 mah 7.4 v 2s lipo and I am at wits end, the damn thing will run flawless at one race and do nothing but glitch at the next race. It glitches in the exact same 4 spots on the track. I guess I'll have to put the damn regulator back in it unless someone has a better idea. This is suppose to work without a regulator.

Frank L 06-06-2009 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Joey Platinum (Post 5904969)
Man I'm running a spektrum dx3r , hi-tec 7955 with a 1500 mah 7.4 v 2s lipo and I am at wits end, the damn thing will run flawless at one race and do nothing but glitch at the next race. It glitches in the exact same 4 spots on the track. I guess I'll have to put the damn regulator back in it unless someone has a better idea. This is suppose to work without a regulator.

Do you have the antenna all the way up and not 50% inside the receiver box? I have the same setup with a nimh battery pack and it would glitch in 2 spots. I was running a very short antenna. Then I made sure the antenna was all in the tube and even left it bent back under the body and no more glitching.

Joey Platinum 06-08-2009 02:57 PM

No, I was not but someone at the track told me if there was enough excess wire inside the batt/rx box , to form a loop that it would cause it to glitch....so I used all of the length in the ant. tube and the problem is still there. It happens in the exact same spots on our track.It seems that if I re-bind the problem goes away for about 2 min. and then slowly comes back.Thanks for the reply! I have thought about trying to some how drain off some voltage to about 5.5 volts and see if the glitching dissappears but i do not know how to effectively/quickly drain off some voltage without damaging the lipo.

Integra 06-08-2009 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Joey Platinum (Post 5912789)
No, I was not but someone at the track told me if there was enough excess wire inside the batt/rx box , to form a loop that it would cause it to glitch....so I used all of the length in the ant. tube and the problem is still there. It happens in the exact same spots on our track.It seems that if I re-bind the problem goes away for about 2 min. and then slowly comes back.Thanks for the reply! I have thought about trying to some how drain off some voltage to about 5.5 volts and see if the glitching dissappears but i do not know how to effectively/quickly drain off some voltage without damaging the lipo.

DO NOT Discharge the lipo to 5.5v WHAT EVER You do. BIG NONO

pyromania 06-08-2009 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 5912954)
DO NOT Discharge the lipo to 5.5v WHAT EVER You do. BIG NONO

+1

You can try to get an adjustable regulator that goes down to 5v and try that.

OfnaJoe 06-08-2009 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Joey Platinum (Post 5904969)

I had the same thing happen with a 3PK and spektrum with Hitec 7955tg's. Put a Orion adjustable regulator on Sat. and set it a 6.4v and no problems at all

Joey Platinum 06-09-2009 02:41 PM

I had the thing running flawlessly with an mpi regulator and started trying sh-t to make it a cleaner looking batt. box. You know they say if it aint broke don't fix it. I just wish I could run un-regulated, I guess I'll have to put the regulator back in there. Thanks!!!

v1r killer 06-13-2009 05:05 AM

do you know if i can run jr 9100t servo without a reg on spectrum. i know the reciever can take it but what about the servoes