R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Losi 8ight 2.0 Truggy or buggy? Need opinions

Hey guys, im just entering the racing world of rc, used to just bash in the backyard and thats about it. Im trying to decide between the losi 2.0 buggy and the truggy. I would be getting the rtr version. Any pro's and con's about either? Ive only been to the track once with my slash, so im not the greatest driver yet. ive always wanted a buggy, but the truggy just has a cool look to it. The way i like to drive is im not much on speed, i just like torque, i like to come out of a turn and just be able to rip it back up to speed. any suggestions? Anyone have either of these cars? Thanks guys, i appreciate it.
Lynx331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

Just getting started racing, I'd go for a truggy. They are a little easier to get around the track and stay on their wheels in some dicey situations.

Master the truggy, then make the move to a buggy and you'll be ahead of the game.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to CJ Weaver

The Losi 8ight-T 2.0 is easier to drive, and would make for an awesome for race truck. The 8ight 2.0 would be harder to drive, but will make you a better driver in the end. I started with the buggy and then ran the truggy. I still practice more with the buggy just because it is harder to drive in my opinion.
CJ Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Thats what i was thinking, but how is the durability of the truggy. Everything is bigger, wider, so its going to put alot more stress on the parts. And how resiliant are they for taking bad jumps, ive seen buggys eat dirt HARD.. and drive away... how are the truggys as far as durability?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

From what I've seen of the 8ight T 2.0 it's durable as hell!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Although buggies are harder to drive, I would say go buggy first. Reason being is if you get a truggy first, you can just go over rough sections, just cruise around the track, kinda get lazy, but with buggy, every little movement counts. So if you get the buggy, then truggy, you will be alot better drive in the end.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

+1 on the buggy first idea i started with truggy when got into racing and wish i would have started with buggy truggy is easier to drive and will be fun at first but if you drive someones buggy once you have been into racing for a while you will wish you had one first much more challenging and really makes you drive not just get punched out around the track and please dont buy rtr before you look for a used race roller with motor in it already. also if go buggy can get a 1.0 losi for cheap and convert to 2.0
jewn_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewn_beef View Post
+1 on the buggy first idea i started with truggy when got into racing and wish i would have started with buggy truggy is easier to drive and will be fun at first but if you drive someones buggy once you have been into racing for a while you will wish you had one first much more challenging and really makes you drive not just get punched out around the track and please dont buy rtr before you look for a used race roller with motor in it already. also if go buggy can get a 1.0 losi for cheap and convert to 2.0
+2 on the buggy. The way I see it. If your goal is to eventually bring your driving skills up so you can race, the buggy is the way to go. It's less forgiving over bumps as was mentioned in the previous posts. Keep in mind this is still a 4wd vehicle and way easier to drive than lets say a 2wd electric buggy. I learned on a 2wd buggy and can pretty much drive anything fairly well.

And the thing is... if you learn on a truggy, you could develop bad driving habits that will be hard to break once you want to get faster. If you learn a buggy, it will force you to drive with a little bit more finese.
razo125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:25 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

So why not a rtr buggy? It's hard to pass up the deal, the buggy, the starter box, the spektrum radio, all for 699$. Where the race version is 550$ minus a good radio and a motor. It almost seems like a no brainer :-/ but maybe I'm missing something?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx331 View Post
So why not a rtr buggy? It's hard to pass up the deal, the buggy, the starter box, the spektrum radio, all for 699$. Where the race version is 550$ minus a good radio and a motor. It almost seems like a no brainer :-/ but maybe I'm missing something?
With kit you can get away with a cheap motor and pipe ($200), GOOD servos (dont skimp) $200 for 2, radio anywhere from $100-$300, starter box, and a few small things. The RTR 2.0 buggy is only $650.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

Normally I would agree with you Chris on getting a kit and building it up if you can (and you know that you are going to get into racing), but that Losi 2.0 RTR is sick! The only thing that really needs upgrading is the steering servo! It even come with a starter box. I wish there was an RTR out like this when I got started.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusprinting View Post
Normally I would agree with you Chris on getting a kit and building it up if you can (and you know that you are going to get into racing), but that Losi 2.0 RTR is sick! The only thing that really needs upgrading is the steering servo! It even come with a starter box. I wish there was an RTR out like this when I got started.
Completely agree. I usually don't reccomend an RTR, but the new losi's are very hard to pass up. Either one will treat you well. Buggy and truggy are basically the same durability wise. IMO a truggy will take more of a beating because of the design, but will wear out faster than a buggy because of the extra stress on the parts. That is not a big deal though. Parts will just get kinda sloppy. won't really hurt you. Buggy will make you a better driver, but might frustrate you in the beginning. If you can be patient and spend the time to learn to drive it, you will be better in the end. Truggy will be easier at first, but won't teach you everything that a buggy will.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

sounds like the buggy is gona be the winner thanks for all the great advice everyone!!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #14
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

go for buggy first....the Losi 2.0 RTR = DIALED
Trevor Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrosty View Post
Just getting started racing, I'd go for a truggy. They are a little easier to get around the track and stay on their wheels in some dicey situations.

Master the truggy, then make the move to a buggy and you'll be ahead of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Weaver View Post
The Losi 8ight-T 2.0 is easier to drive, and would make for an awesome for race truck. The 8ight 2.0 would be harder to drive, but will make you a better driver in the end. I started with the buggy and then ran the truggy. I still practice more with the buggy just because it is harder to drive in my opinion.
I started with buggy and found that I could drive the truggy better. I gave up driving truggy stuck with buggy for two years and now I'm driving buggy & truggy, driving truggy comes real easy and you don't need to practice. Stick with Buggy primarily you will be a better driver for it. IMHO
FASTLANE GRAPHIX - http://www.fastlane-graphix.com
Tim Dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote