R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Proline 1/8th buggy Bow-ties.....thoughts

I am thinking about putting a pair of these on my slayer and was wondering if they are a decent tire for an indoor track. How long do they last? Good or bad grip? I was torn on weather to get these or the panther switch tires.
T-maxx O.S .18tm
snowboard094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

well i never tried them on a 1/8 buggy but i had them on a 2wd gas truck i ran the meduim compound on a loose kind of rutty really moist track and they sucked major balls on that kind of condiction but maybe the soft would have worked better,on 1/8 i think they would work better i think mostly any tire would grip better .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
Tech Prophet

the pather switch tires are preety good i ran them in the frount of my 2wd
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboard094 View Post
I am thinking about putting a pair of these on my slayer and was wondering if they are a decent tire for an indoor track. How long do they last? Good or bad grip? I was torn on weather to get these or the panther switch tires.

dont waste your time with inferior rubber from proline....get a set of AKA Ibeam's and they will outlast and outperform the proline's No question's asked for gallons to come.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Comparing Bowties (for soft loomy tracks) to Panther Switch (for blue groove hite bite indoor tracks) is comparing apples to oranges. See what the locals are running, but I would lean towards AKA Gridiron.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to CJ Weaver

There are many tire treads similar to the Bow Tie that, in my opinion, are superior. I prefer the AKA I-Beams and Losi Red Eclipse over the Proline Bowties.

Also, I'm not quite sure if the Bow Ties will be a good tire for indoor. The tracks I run at usually require something along the lines of an Inside Job or Clay Switch. Unless you are running on a loose loamy track, I don't recommend Bow Ties. Like Chris said, see what some of the fast guys are running.
CJ Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
Comparing Bowties (for soft loomy tracks) to Panther Switch (for blue groove hite bite indoor tracks) is comparing apples to oranges. See what the locals are running, but I would lean towards AKA Gridiron.
locals don't run what i have. Most run spec buggy or slash (i also do). This truck is mostly for bashing but occasionally track practice. Will the AKA tires fit on the standard proline 1/8th buggy rims? And will they out last the switches?
T-maxx O.S .18tm
Old 05-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

If you're looking for something that will last a while try AKA Cityblocks. They work on a varietly of different surfaces and have 2 levels of lugs so you'll get a little more life out of them. And do yourself a favor, get the premounts. They're balanced and you don't have to worry about them coming unglued.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
locals don't run what i have. Most run spec buggy or slash (i also do). This truck is mostly for bashing but occasionally track practice. Will the AKA tires fit on the standard proline 1/8th buggy rims? And will they out last the switches?
yes, i've glued aka tires on proline wheels. I would get the aka wheels because they are a better fit. Proline wheels on aka rubber, feels like the proline wheels are a tad bit smaller when glueing. I've also tried switches, but all i have to say is that I will always be using aka for longivity, proformance and quality.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarwashington View Post
yes, i've glued aka tires on proline wheels. I would get the aka wheels because they are a better fit. Proline wheels on aka rubber, feels like the proline wheels are a tad bit smaller when glueing. I've also tried switches, but all i have to say is that I will always be using aka for longivity, proformance and quality.
yeah i guess i will go the premount way then. I just liked the look of the wabash wheels from proline.
T-maxx O.S .18tm
Old 05-27-2009, 06:18 AM   #11
Tech Lord

Quote:
yeah i guess i will go the premount way then. I just liked the look of the wabash wheels from proline.

spoke wheels break easier and are a PAIN in the rear end to clean after a day's worth of racing.....Id Much rather have Dish rims.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 05-27-2009, 06:50 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
spoke wheels break easier and are a PAIN in the rear end to clean after a day's worth of racing.....Id Much rather have Dish rims.
+1 I used some Crime's last sunday at a race, Which were the only tyres I had that hooked up. And they were on some Spoked wheels, as soon as I run with them I instantly feel slower.. mentally feel slower and more sluggish.. there little heavier than dish but, I dislike them. As they to me dont look racer like.. plus there a pain in the backside to clean and specially if its really muddy. They like to gather mud more too. Dish all the way-AKA Anyday!
jamiekerr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:37 AM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekerr14 View Post
+1 I used some Crime's last sunday at a race, Which were the only tyres I had that hooked up. And they were on some Spoked wheels, as soon as I run with them I instantly feel slower.. mentally feel slower and more sluggish.. there little heavier than dish but, I dislike them. As they to me dont look racer like.. plus there a pain in the backside to clean and specially if its really muddy. They like to gather mud more too. Dish all the way-AKA Anyday!
Ok i will defiantly get the premounts. Thanks for the help everybody!! Wait... clay would be soft compound right?
T-maxx O.S .18tm
Old 05-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
Tech Lord

Quote:
Ok i will defiantly get the premounts. Thanks for the help everybody!! Wait... clay would be soft compound right?

they only make a soft med and hard in 1/8 tires...I have never seen a Clay compound for the Ibeams Citi's Cross braces or Grid iron....they don't have a clay compound even listed....but for hard pack clay you would want a Soft tires unless the track temp is Really high like 80-90 you would step up to a Med.