R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default I'm bad with nitro!!!

I'm trying to break in a new jpx.28 in my D8T and I'm having some trouble. when I first put it on the starter box it fired up and ran for about 30 seconds... after that nothing!!!! I've heated the block with my heat gun, turned it over without the gloplug to blow the fuel out, checked the plug and it still glows, starter box is charged and new battery in my driver. it's been years since I've run nitro and I've searched a bunch of threads and can't find an answer, what else should I check? it's getting fuel, the plug seems good and the box is spinng the motor..what else?
coaltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Just because the plug glows on the ignitor does not mean it is good..Try a new plug, if that does not work, I would think your tune is just too rich, or your carb may not be seated all the way..which would cause it suck in air..also be sure you are getting enough fuel into the engine..Prime it until you see fuel enter the carb then count 2-3 more seconds before you stop priming..Post back if none of those things work, and we will check your HSN
Old 05-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

ive found the stock needle setting's to be 98.5% of the time Too rich on both bottom and top....where are the needle at right now ? if they aren't flush try setting them to flush and go from there.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Just because the plug glows on the ignitor does not mean it is good..Try a new plug, if that does not work, I would think your tune is just too rich, or your carb may not be seated all the way..which would cause it suck in air..also be sure you are getting enough fuel into the engine..Prime it until you see fuel enter the carb then count 2-3 more seconds before you stop priming..Post back if none of those things work, and we will check your HSN
I stopped at the hobby shop today and picked up a couple new plugs, I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow night after work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
ive found the stock needle setting's to be 98.5% of the time Too rich on both bottom and top....where are the needle at right now ? if they aren't flush try setting them to flush and go from there.
According to the directions stock HSN is 5 1/2 out and it said to take it another full turn out to 6 1/2 during break in. I took it out to 6 1/2 but after it wouldnt start I leaned it out 1/2 turn to 6 out.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to CJ Weaver

I agree with Integra, I recommend leaning it out on bottom a hair, just to get it running. Don't get to crazy with the needles because improper break-in can reduce engine life and performance.
CJ Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:39 AM   #6
Tech Elite

I would not take the extra out out on top for breaking - and 5 1/2 that is plenty rich to break in a motor. Its probley floodin and the glow plug is getting soaked.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:22 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
I would not take the extra out out on top for breaking - and 5 1/2 that is plenty rich to break in a motor. Its probley floodin and the glow plug is getting soaked.

that's the problem..its too rich and wont hold an idle......Ive broken in My fair share or Picco/Jpx's and i know they are overly rich outta the box and require a lean down to start and continue to run with out stalling.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 05-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
Tech Lord

CoalTrain, post up what plug you are using
Old 05-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
Tech Regular

The stock plug is a OFN51006 and I bought the O.S. P7. I put the HSN back to 5 1/2 out, I wont have time to try again until I get home from work on Friday.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
The stock plug is a OFN51006 and I bought the O.S. P7. I put the HSN back to 5 1/2 out, I wont have time to try again until I get home from work on Friday.
Should use only Picco P5T plugs
Old 05-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

OS Plugs will stretch out the taper of the button and cause leaking down the road....you should Only use Picco/Ofna plugs....you can get an OS to seal but imo its wrong and will affect how the motor runs.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:37 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCinSC

Have you tried heating it up with a heat gun or hair dryer? If not give that a try. I couldnt get mine to start and I did after heating it up. O.S. 8 plug. I love em. My truck fires on the 3rd pull every time.
RCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:41 AM   #13
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCinSC View Post
Have you tried heating it up with a heat gun or hair dryer? If not give that a try. I couldnt get mine to start and I did after heating it up. O.S. 8 plug. I love em. My truck fires on the 3rd pull every time.

JPX's come with a turbo button...not standard.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #14
Tech Lord

And no pull start
Old 05-30-2009, 04:47 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Gave it a shot again last night....NOPE, still wont fire. I put in a new plug(ODO97T) put the HSN back to 5 1/2 and it would not fire, so I leaned out the HSN and LSN 1/4 then 1/2 and still nothing, I even heated the block with my heat gun(melted my chassis guard a little). I wonder if my glow ignitor is somehow to blame? I tried 2 of my turbo plugs in my ignitor and neither one would glow but one of them would hiss, then I put a regular(non turbo) plug in the ignitor and it would glow. I'm going to swing by the shop later andpick up a new ignitor to see if that is the problem