Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breaking in my Nitro Sport...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Breaking in my Nitro Sport...

I'm basically just running 3/4 throttle the whole way for 2-3 min intervals. Then letting it cool off. Then doing it all over again. Is this the correct way?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

To heat cycle your engine...

Prime the engine with some fuel so it is lubricated when you go to start it. (basically, remove the glowplug and drop a little in the piston, and poor a little down the carb)

Start the engine with the factory settings and make sure it will idle. (sometimes you have to lean it out a little since factory settings are usually pretty rich)

Take the car and put it on the ground, begin running large circles/figure eights. Blipping the throttle but never opening it more than halfway. Keep an eye on engine temps. Get the engines temps up to 200 degrees as quickly as possible. You most likely will have to lean the engine some or wrap some foil around the head. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO GET THE TEMPS UP TO 200. If you break it in at a lower temp, you will be damaging the engine. Keep the engine tuned rich on the bottom for good lubrication... adjust the high speed needle to help bring the temps up.

Run the car for 2 minutes, then pull it in and shut it down. Make sure to return the piston to bottom dead center of the stroke. Allow the engine to cool.

Once the engine cools (around 90 degrees), start it back up and do another 2 minute cycle. Make sure the temps are around 200-210 degrees. Again, blipping the throttle and not opening it up all the way.

Again... pull it in after two minutes and allow to cool. Be sure to move the piston to the bottom of the stroke.

Now you can increase the run times up to three minutes. Do this for two more 3 minute cycles, keeping temps between 200-210 and cooling between cycles.

For the final two cycles, increase the run time to 5 minutes.

Now the engine should be ready for a race tune (you'll probably have to richen the high speed needle back up since this is what you used to lean the engine for break in). Keep it rich for the first few tanks and make sure the engine is making good smoke.

^Compliments of Al Jones^
Old 05-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by CJ Weaver
To heat cycle your engine...

Prime the engine with some fuel so it is lubricated when you go to start it. (basically, remove the glowplug and drop a little in the piston, and poor a little down the carb)

Start the engine with the factory settings and make sure it will idle. (sometimes you have to lean it out a little since factory settings are usually pretty rich)

Take the car and put it on the ground, begin running large circles/figure eights. Blipping the throttle but never opening it more than halfway. Keep an eye on engine temps. Get the engines temps up to 200 degrees as quickly as possible. You most likely will have to lean the engine some or wrap some foil around the head. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO GET THE TEMPS UP TO 200. If you break it in at a lower temp, you will be damaging the engine. Keep the engine tuned rich on the bottom for good lubrication... adjust the high speed needle to help bring the temps up.

Run the car for 2 minutes, then pull it in and shut it down. Make sure to return the piston to bottom dead center of the stroke. Allow the engine to cool.

Once the engine cools (around 90 degrees), start it back up and do another 2 minute cycle. Make sure the temps are around 200-210 degrees. Again, blipping the throttle and not opening it up all the way.

Again... pull it in after two minutes and allow to cool. Be sure to move the piston to the bottom of the stroke.

Now you can increase the run times up to three minutes. Do this for two more 3 minute cycles, keeping temps between 200-210 and cooling between cycles.

For the final two cycles, increase the run time to 5 minutes.

Now the engine should be ready for a race tune (you'll probably have to richen the high speed needle back up since this is what you used to lean the engine for break in). Keep it rich for the first few tanks and make sure the engine is making good smoke.

^Compliments of Al Jones^
Ok. Other than buying an expensive thermometer, how do I tell the temp?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Spit on the cooling head, if it sizzles but doesn't jump you are good, but if it sits there you are too cool.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by howtowakeakar
Spit on the cooling head, if it sizzles but doesn't jump you are good, but if it sits there you are too cool.
Beautiful. I touched it and it was hot to the touch, but not hot enough to make me pull my hand away right when my hand made contact. I guess you could say it was luke warm.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eighty2
Ok. Other than buying an expensive thermometer, how do I tell the temp?
$25 is alot? PE-1 tempgun.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
$25 is alot? PE-1 tempgun.
Oh. I didn't know they were that cheap. Shoulda done my research.