R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default need input on losi 8ight diff !!

i am assembling a 8ight comp kit and just got the first diff done and am wondering if you hold the diff cup and rotate the diff itself or by the ring gear should i be feeling resistance from it or should it roll very freely? it just seems a little tight to me and this is my first time fooling with this diff. thanks in advance y,all
ibmenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Tech Master

you should have some drag. what diff fluid wt are you using?

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Yes, you should feel some resistance. As you assemle the rest of your diffs, I'm pretty sure you will be using different weight diff oils in each one. The one with the heaviest diff fluid (usually the center) will have the most resistance and the one with the lightest diff fluid (usually the rear) will have the least resistance. By changing diff oils in each diff, you can tune the handling characteristics of the buggy to suit your driving style.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

thanks guys, i put 5000wt in the front one. and as with other diffs i figured i am gonna feel some drag, so i went ahead and install in the diff case and sealed it up and workd like a charm, nice and smooth once the bearings met with the case. its been a while since i fooled with a diff, but it all comes back to you they say i just wish i had a few extra bill to upgrade the cases before i put them together, oh well there's always next time i am in there. thanks for the info again!
Old 05-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmenace View Post
thanks guys, i put 5000wt in the front one. and as with other diffs i figured i am gonna feel some drag, so i went ahead and install in the diff case and sealed it up and workd like a charm, nice and smooth once the bearings met with the case. its been a while since i fooled with a diff, but it all comes back to you they say i just wish i had a few extra bill to upgrade the cases before i put them together, oh well there's always next time i am in there. thanks for the info again!

upgrade what cases ?
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
upgrade what cases ?
Heavy Duty diff cases I think?

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

they have more heavy duty ones tha seal better and last lnoger and they have aluminum ones.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmenace View Post
they have more heavy duty ones tha seal better and last lnoger and they have aluminum ones.
the HD cases are not needed imo....they are overly heavy compared to a stock cup and the whole reason for them was to cure a bad batch of stock cups they had a LONG time ago...the losa3500 cups are all good now...the HD's only add weight to the drivetrain...Alum cups are Soo NOT needed.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 05-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
the HD cases are not needed imo....they are overly heavy compared to a stock cup and the whole reason for them was to cure a bad batch of stock cups they had a LONG time ago...the losa3500 cups are all good now...the HD's only add weight to the drivetrain...Alum cups are Soo NOT needed.
x2, do u know why they use the hd cases for the smart diffs? why not just mill the reg cases out?

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
x2, do u know why they use the hd cases for the smart diffs? why not just mill the reg cases out?

why make a new part # if they can make what they got work.

fwiw the smaller spider/sun gear's make up for some of the extra weight the tabs add.