Wiki Posts
Search

OS V-Spec Tuning and Break-In TIps

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default OS V-Spec Tuning and Break-In TIps

I'm about to break in my vspec tomorrow, that is if I get my electronics to work (read my thread electronics not working) and was wondering if there was any break in/tuning tips to not this engine good for 3 gallons, then blows. So far for breakin im going to heat up to 200 with heat gun, aluminum foil on head and idle it for 2 tanks keeping temps around 200-220 then slowly getting more rpm's until tank 12 where I finally can go WOT for extended periods of time, letting the engine cool down at bdc every 3-4 minutes of runtime. Ive used this method on a Mach 427 and runs flawlessly with great compression. But then again they are 2 completely different engines. Also, any tuning tips? Ive read that OS's tune alot different and to not use the Ron Paris tuning "bible" as that only applies to nvoarossi based engines.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I just broke in a new speed using a modified johnnycoolguy.com heat cycle method. I did the heat cycles on the starter box, the head wrapped with alum foil and a heat gun to keep the temp at 200 to 225 so I could monitor the temps more closely. Be patient with the vspec it has a lot of initial pinch. I heat cycled 5x at 3 min intervals and then 5x at 5 min intervals (letting it cool to ambient temp completely in-between cycles), ran 2 tanks through it on the ground with a 75% tune and then hit the track for full race tune. It took about 3 quarts before the speed loosened up. The temp was averaging 230-245 with decent power and speed but I knew it could do better. After 2 5 min quals and 2 days of practice (approx 10 tanks each day). Suddenly after the 15 min b-main the the engine came in at 205. Then it was ready to full race tune. The pinch when it was warm also lost its hard stick at the top and the engine freed up. It took about 3-4 quarts of fuel, so be patient and you will be rewarded. I was told to keep the temp in the 220 to 245 range with good smoke throughout the power band and that seemed to work just fine. The speed is a monster now, I love it. So best advice is do the heatcycle correctly and dont rush the full race tune. BTW I completed 23 min out of 30 in the A-main (got the bump) and then DNF due to a throttle servo going out.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Tech Master

When you said you heat cycled it 5x at 3min and then 5x at 5m, were you blipping the throttle alot to get the rpms up or were you just idling it on the box? I was planning on idlign it on the box for 1 tank, then on the ground for the next day then run it.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm a Factory O.S. Driver...

Idle a tank with a rag wrapped around the head.

After that tank, fill her up and lean the top an hour or so and do some figure eights in your driveway until it runs out of fuel. Bring the engine to bottom dead center; do the same thing with a fresh tank of fuel after it cools down. I do this twice and then put a race tune on my engine. I get at LEAST 5-7 gallons out of every stock VZB I've ever owned.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

Well, I idled 2 tanks, then went to start it after it cooled down, nothing. Glow plug died....Looks like I will have to wait 2 days as I highly doubt my LHS carries OS P3 plugs, which I dont even go to. Also, I leanred a good lesson with the starter box. If the flywheel isnt moving, STOP. I put a huge hole in the wheel from it kept going when it was stuck at TDC.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There is a very informative thread right above this one,,,, or it will be as soon as I hit submit reply. I suggest you read it as it the best way to break a motor in for the gallons of use your are looking for.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ephidelt490
I'm a Factory O.S. Driver...

Idle a tank with a rag wrapped around the head.

After that tank, fill her up and lean the top an hour or so and do some figure eights in your driveway until it runs out of fuel. Bring the engine to bottom dead center; do the same thing with a fresh tank of fuel after it cools down. I do this twice and then put a race tune on my engine. I get at LEAST 5-7 gallons out of every stock VZB I've ever owned.
Thats what I did except I did it for 6-7 continuous tanks and leaned it out an hour every tank. Runs awesome right now. Ive heard all these rumors to "change the con-rod and bearings" after break in or after gallon 1. Ive never done it. Does it make that much difference and will you get more life out of it?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Well bump.....

I just finish with tank 9-10 on my V-Spec. Running really good. With tons of tin foil on the head and having to come in to heat the engine with a heat gun every minute or 2 to get it to stay up at temps (should run at about 150 without foil) and my throtttle servo is at 75% from WOT, it has surpassed my expectations. I expect to go WOT by tank 12. Like I said, really easing it into race tune.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
When you said you heat cycled it 5x at 3min and then 5x at 5m, were you blipping the throttle alot to get the rpms up or were you just idling it on the box? I was planning on idlign it on the box for 1 tank, then on the ground for the next day then run it.
The first 5x at 3 min intervals I let the engine idle or just a little above idle to keep it running and use a heat gun to keep the temps at 200-230 with the head wrapped with alum foil. The last 5x at 5 mins I vary the throttle from idle to 30% open letting it run at different RPM's. By the time you get done with the 3 min intervals and then the 5 min intervals you will have about 5 tanks through the engine. Towards the last 2 5 min intervals I start to lean out the top and bottom. Then I run another tank on the ground letting the engine run on the rich side. After 6 tanks are through it I race tune it. This has yielded 7+ gallons on the GRP's I used last season, so there is no reason why the OS line wont do the same. I usually sell engines at around 7 gallons and they still have plenty of power, top end and pinch. The main thing is to heat up the metals and then let them cool completely in-between each cycle so that they can break in properly.

After using this method on the OS speed it still took another 4-5 tanks before the stick at TDC was gone. So like the OS rep 12 tanks sounds about right.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

I noticed this engine has a lot of pinch at TDC, where my Truggy Box wouldnt even turn it over at times. I have a huge gap in the starter wheel as this was my first time using a bump box. I didnt really do time intervals. For the 1st tank, I ran it down until 1/2 tank. For the 2nd I ran a full tank. I tried to combine all the method-from idling it on the box, to heat cycling, to WOT as rich as it can be for 3 tanks. So bascially I tried to put as much tin foil as possible and urn it as rich as possible.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I dont waste to much time with break in on the VSPEC. I run a full tank through it wide open but really really really rich. Then put a race tune on it and go... No problems doing 2 regular vspec and a Speed this way.... If you spend to much fuel on break in, the motor will be worn out by the time you get to racing.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by underway
I dont waste to much time with break in on the VSPEC. I run a full tank through it wide open but really really really rich. Then put a race tune on it and go... No problems doing 2 regular vspec and a Speed this way.... If you spend to much fuel on break in, the motor will be worn out by the time you get to racing.
How much mileage do you get out of an engine using this break in tech? 5 gal or 6 or so??
Old 05-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by underway
Should be ready to put a full race tune on it at 15 tanks, how is this worn out?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

My V-spec lost its pinch after about 6 tanks. Then I race tuned..I am just going on my 3rd gallon..But I had to replace the bearings with TKO's and buy a new case before break in,,,,that's another story
Old 05-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

15 tanks is about a half gallon of fuel. That is overkill to me but as long as you keep the engine good and hot (200F or more) it should be okay I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.