R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
My V-spec lost its pinch after about 6 tanks. Then I race tuned..I am just going on my 3rd gallon..But I had to replace the bearings with TKO's and buy a new case before break in,,,,that's another story
About 9 tanks in breakin and it still has tons of pinch....Im going to do everything I can to make it last longer-preheating it before every run, repalce with speed rod and tko after a couple gallons, etc.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jabroni racing

Everyone will have there own opinion on break in.. from the WOT (wide open throttle) method to idle'ing on the box to heat cyceling.. I heat cyayle and from the moment i get it started, its on the ground.. First i pre-heat the engine to about 180 so there is less stress on rod when i fire it up, i wrap the head and keep the engine 200 or higher temp wise, run it for 5 min intervals, after 2nd 5 min run, i start to lightly lean it in, after 30-40 min of run time (heat cycle) i basically tune it.. But i still preheat my engines before i start them everytime for at least a gallon or so, so its easier on the rod..
Old 05-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
How much mileage do you get out of an engine using this break in tech? 5 gal or 6 or so??

I don't really count gallons(because I use 2-3 different vspecs) but if i had to guess I would say about 4/5 to be safe. But the key for me is making sure I run them out of fuel and ARO them religiously. I use Afterlife ARO... Good stuff
underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
Should be ready to put a full race tune on it at 15 tanks, how is this worn out?
15 tanks on a vspec for break in is way overkill IMO, 15 tanks is alot of fuel. You could be full wood down the back straight by tank 3...... I think that slow long breakin process is for engines that are OVERLY tight(GO TECH) and need that much fuel to loosen the pinch, this is why they recommended to change the rod after break in. ALL THAT TIGHT STRESS. Vspec dont take that long to loosen up. Getting rid of the pinch as fast as possible is what I'm trying to do, without stressing the internals..

I dont pretend to be a guru but I know what has worked for me.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by underway View Post
15 tanks on a vspec for break in is way overkill IMO, 15 tanks is alot of fuel. You could be full wood down the back straight by tank 3...... I think that slow long breakin process is for engines that are OVERLY tight(GO TECH) and need that much fuel to loosen the pinch, this is why they recommended to change the rod after break in. ALL THAT TIGHT STRESS. Vspec dont take that long to loosen up. Getting rid of the pinch as fast as possible is what I'm trying to do, without stressing the internals..

I dont pretend to be a guru but I know what has worked for me.
Ill start leaning it out once I get it started...tomorrow.

Now any tuning tips? Ive seen some pros do this liek AdamDrake when he tuned my engine. Didnt touch HSN, kept leaning LSN and going down on idle until idle was low and reliable with great acceleration..then said to call your temps and performance with the HSN. How is this method?

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Old 05-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #21
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by underway View Post
I don't really count gallons(because I use 2-3 different vspecs) but if i had to guess I would say about 4/5 to be safe. But the key for me is making sure I run them out of fuel and ARO them religiously. I use Afterlife ARO... Good stuff
I have been getting 7-9 gallons out of my engines using the heat cycle method. I would say its worth it to put the time in and break them in right.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
I have been getting 7-9 gallons out of my engines using the heat cycle method. I would say its worth it to put the time in and break them in right.

Sounds good. But until someone can accurately count gallons in. Then its all speculation. No one can account for every drop of fuel in a gallon. This is why I don't say gallons, I just run em until they don't run right anymore. But whatever works for you is the right way for you to do your motors... Vspec are the easiest motor to tune and run.
Vspec/2050/2060 = priceless
Old 05-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Not trying to start anything, but 4/5 gallons on an engine seems not that great, and personally wouldn't be very proud of my mill if I would only get that. My EB VSpec went 8 gallons (yes I counted them cause it was the only engine I was running at the moment) before I changed p/s and rod. I have used the heat cycle with my break in stand with very good results on all my engines, and always got no less than 8 and up (under good conditions_not considering the ones that swallowed dirt, or blew the rod)....
Toiffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #24
Tech Elite

o.k. 4/5 like I said is a wild guess. I dont count gallons on a particular engine. Whatever works for you in the breakin department is what you should continue to use. I am glad that you guys get 8 gallons out of an engine. Keep doing what you are doing!
Old 05-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #25
Tech Adept

i'm going to start beakin in my v-spect today was wondering if i need the extra head shim to un 30% nitro.
Mugen Mbx7 eco hobbywing esc and motor
rawdawgga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #26
Tech Master

I added the extra head shim just in case. Better safe than sorry.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #27
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdawgga View Post
i'm going to start beakin in my v-spect today was wondering if i need the extra head shim to un 30% nitro.
I recently broke in a speed with 30% and I did not add any shims. Only the one shim as it came stock. No problems here. I would add the shim to make less compression which will allow the engine to rev higher, or take the extra shim out to increase compression and give the low end a little extra.

I also purchased an EB mods head button. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this EB mods head button as most racers seem to love it and highly recommend it. I haven't got to run it yet will be another week or so.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #28
Tech Adept

Default temp?

i just put a new v spec in my 1.0 truggy and was wondering what a good temp for it would be?im running about 225 right now and want to get as much life as possible.i did heat cycle it.any info would be greatly appreciated

PANCAR
jeremy reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:36 PM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy reed View Post
i just put a new v spec in my 1.0 truggy and was wondering what a good temp for it would be?im running about 225 right now and want to get as much life as possible.i did heat cycle it.any info would be greatly appreciated
That's perfect.