Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Can anyone offer some help for a motor that sat for a year not ran? Issues starting.. >

Can anyone offer some help for a motor that sat for a year not ran? Issues starting..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can anyone offer some help for a motor that sat for a year not ran? Issues starting..

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Can anyone offer some help for a motor that sat for a year not ran? Issues starting..

I have a Jato which runs great, my neighbor's son has a Tmaxx and seen me running my car so decided to get his out. It's in great condition but he hasn't ran it in over a year and never cleaned the motor out before he shut it down.

When we place the battery pack on the truck to start it, it starts to turn then it locks. We removed the glow plug drained all the gas and then cycled the motor with the plug out and it spun freely as usual.

I then placed a new glow plug in and it turned over for about 2 minutes but shot gas out the pipe like crazy. Still wouldn't fire.

I let it sit for a few minutes and now it's doing the same thing again as soon as you try to start it, the motor only turns a revolution and locks. When you remove the glow plug it turns over. Obviously the gas comes out the glow plug hole but it turns over...

Can anyone suggest any ideas?
Thanks
Old 05-24-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

heat the engine to about 200 degrees then try again. It also sounds like it is too rich
Old 05-24-2009, 07:26 AM
Tech Rookie

He did fool with the high end screw which I set back to factory settings. I guess we will have to let the engine sit out today in the sun and then give it another whirl......
Old 05-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It was probably overly rich, if it's flooding like that...

Also, did you get a new glow plug for it?

My 2.5 sat for two years (being completely filled/soaked in WD40, but still) and fired right up, once the EZ-Start one-way could catch the crank shaft

Starting at factory settings is a good idea!
Old 05-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Yep, it sure was. I removed the glow plug and the piston was full of fuel. I drained the fuel from the tank and ran all the fuel out with the glow plug removed.

Re installed the plug and sure enough it fired right up!!!!

Running great now.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Good to hear you got it up and running!