R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-24-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to helgso
Unhappy Help! - My Teamlosi LST RC truck won't start, maybe engine broken?

Hello people, thanks for the attention. I am new here so sorry if this has been posted before or something. I also have no experience with RC cars other than starting them and filling them with gas.

My auncle bought an TeamLosi LST RC truck 3-4 years ago and gave it to me about 2 years ago. I tried it out, first something broken in it, I got it fixed, and in the first testdrive after the fix, a steam came out of the engine, the engine stopped and since then, it hasn't started at all.

Let me show you a picture, since I can't show you many (because of forum limits) check attachment.

If I can I will post a video soon showing you exactly what happens when I try starting the engine. I could describe it somewhat this way: "When you try to start it with the starter (a thing you press a button on, it spins and you put it inside a hole in the motor to start the engine), the starter spins, but it's like it is spinning nothing. There is no pulse of a piston inside the engine nor any other sound heard, just plain blankness sound except for the starter sound."

When it worked and I tried to start it, I heard a piston pulse inside.

Help?
Attached Thumbnails
Help! - My Teamlosi LST RC truck won't start, maybe engine broken?-pic6.jpg  
helgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:22 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A one-way bearing needs to be replaced, seeing as it is not "grabbing" and turning the motor over. I don't know which one you need, maybe someone can explain this a little further.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by howtowakeakar View Post
A one-way bearing needs to be replaced, seeing as it is not "grabbing" and turning the motor over. I don't know which one you need, maybe someone can explain this a little further.
Is that thing expensive? Also, could the whole motor be dead, is it a good/bad quality motor? (I think it's called M26)
Old 05-24-2009, 03:51 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I doubt the motor is dead, should still be good.
A bearing is about $14, or somewhere around there.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:05 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Is this what I should look for? (LOSA6937 - 5x10mm Shielded Ball Bearing)
The website I found this part on said it was for: "Losi LST/2 and Muggy", is it definately for my truck? The Losi LST? Will it fit?

Can you point me at a website that tells you how to replace this part?
Attached Thumbnails
Help! - My Teamlosi LST RC truck won't start, maybe engine broken?-losa6937-250.jpg  
Old 05-24-2009, 04:40 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Hyper RX7

What you linked to are just normal bearings...

Search for: Team Losi PS One-Way Bearing (M26SS,TL427)

On the amainhobbies site

I can't link because I haven't made enough posts (stupid!)
Hyper RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:55 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper RX7 View Post
What you linked to are just normal bearings...

Search for: Team Losi PS One-Way Bearing (M26SS,TL427)

On the amainhobbies site

I can't link because I haven't made enough posts (stupid!)
Actually, I don't have a pull-start motor. I have the one where you put a sparking plug onto the engine and start it with a "electronic turning-stick" which I put inside the motor. The website says: "This is a replacement pull start one-way bearing ..." but I don't have a pull start one. Or doesn't it matter? Also, where to find a one-way bearing replacement guide for my truck?
Old 05-24-2009, 05:06 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCinSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgso View Post
"This is a replacement pull start one-way bearing ..." but I don't have a pull start one. Or doesn't it matter?
I am pretty new to rc also ( 1 week and 1 day ) But I have had tons of starting issues. A roto start, e-z start, pull start all use a 1 way barring. Just because you are using a drill to start it doesnt mean theres no 1 way bearing. if you remove the 4-5 screws on the backplate you will find your 1 way bearing and you can take it to you LHS and get a new one. But the 1 way bearing is what turns the motor over. It looks like a big nut.
RCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:25 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The one-way bearing in the spin-start is slipping. You could replace the bearing or even just buy a new spin-start mechanism because they're not very expensive.
Breakin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:29 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCinSC View Post
I am pretty new to rc also ( 1 week and 1 day ) But I have had tons of starting issues. A roto start, e-z start, pull start all use a 1 way barring. Just because you are using a drill to start it doesnt mean theres no 1 way bearing. if you remove the 4-5 screws on the backplate you will find your 1 way bearing and you can take it to you LHS and get a new one. But the 1 way bearing is what turns the motor over. It looks like a big nut.
Here's a pic of underneath my RC. Which screw to screw? Am I supposed to losen those 8 screws which are right under the engine? (Where the arrow points)

Ohh and BTW, when I turn the roto start inside the engine, I see some machinery spin! Could this one-way bearing still be at fault?
Attached Thumbnails
Help! - My Teamlosi LST RC truck won't start, maybe engine broken?-mynd.jpg  
Old 05-24-2009, 05:42 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCinSC

Quote:
Here's a pic of underneath my RC. Which screw to screw? Am I supposed to losen those 8 screws which are right under the engine? (Where the arrow points)

Ohh and BTW, when I turn the roto start inside the engine, I see some machinery spin! Could this one-way bearing still be at fault?
Ok... take your glow plug out. and the pull your gas line off your take. take the roto drill and spin it. NOT LONG AT ALL just see it you see the piston moving up and down. DONT REMOVE ANY SCREWS
RCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCinSC View Post
Ok... take your glow plug out. and the pull your gas line off your take. take the roto drill and spin it. NOT LONG AT ALL just see it you see the piston moving up and down. DONT REMOVE ANY SCREWS
Sorry for the late response, was studying for an exam in school.

What do you mean by "Pull your gas line off your take"? And also, I actually can't see the piston :P

If I spin the rotor inside the engine, I hear some pulse sound like the piston is moving up and down (Go to this link below and download the video contained.) Is the sound right? Is my piston moving?

files.filefront.com/Movie159wmv/;13801366;/fileinfo.html
Old 05-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Link doesnt work for me. What you do is take the glow plug out, then take the fuel line off that goes into the carb. Then press the drill starter. From where the glow plug was, you should see the piston/sleeve going up and down. If it doesnt, take the 4 screws under the chassis out that hook up to the engine/engine mounts. Take the pipe mounting spring out (at the end of the pipe) and the throttle linkage so you can pull everything out. Then, remove the 4 screws where the spin start is. Take that off, remove one or 2 small things, cean them, then you see the one way bearings. Clean that out raelly good, then install with the cleaned parts and see if it works. Most of the time the OWB just needs a good cleaning.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
Link doesnt work for me. What you do is take the glow plug out, then take the fuel line off that goes into the carb. Then press the drill starter. From where the glow plug was, you should see the piston/sleeve going up and down. If it doesnt, take the 4 screws under the chassis out that hook up to the engine/engine mounts. Take the pipe mounting spring out (at the end of the pipe) and the throttle linkage so you can pull everything out. Then, remove the 4 screws where the spin start is. Take that off, remove one or 2 small things, cean them, then you see the one way bearings. Clean that out raelly good, then install with the cleaned parts and see if it works. Most of the time the OWB just needs a good cleaning.
Great thanks! I see the piston moving up and down! Is my RC then not broken? Also, do I have to have anything in mind when starting the engine so it won't break or something? Do you recommend taking it apart, cleaning it very well + reading the engine tuning bible here on the forum to make the engine run as well as possible?

If I turn on the engine, how do I turn it off?
Old 05-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Great thanks! I see the piston moving up and down! Is my RC then not broken? Also, do I have to have anything in mind when starting the engine so it won't break or something? Do you recommend taking it apart, cleaning it very well + reading the engine tuning bible here on the forum to make the engine run as well as possible?

If I turn on the engine, how do I turn it off?
Then i should start. Take your glow plug and put it on the igniter, and see if it glows red. if not, you ened a new glwo plug ($5). Just prime it until it gets to the carb, then STOP. Then fully charge your receiver abtetry, glow starter, andspin starter battery you it should start. Also, heat the engine up with a hair dryer for a couple minutes, it will start alot easier!

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote