R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #46
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgso View Post
And when I get to the hobbyshop, should I just say: "The car broke down 2 years ago, I tried fixing it myself but I couldn't, that's why it's in a mess"? Should I put it back together or leave it torn apart like it is and ask them to fix everything?
Take it there, tell them your new to all this and get them to show YOU about it. If you just give it to them you'll never learn how to fix your own stuff. Just leave the engine out and make sure to bring all the parts. Bag them up neatly and labled. You may also want to print that parts explosion and bring it with you in case they don't have it on hand. It has all the part #'s too for the clutch and anything that they may find is wrong with it.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #47
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to helgso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrosty View Post
Take it there, tell them your new to all this and get them to show YOU about it. If you just give it to them you'll never learn how to fix your own stuff. Just leave the engine out and make sure to bring all the parts. Bag them up neatly and labled. You may also want to print that parts explosion and bring it with you in case they don't have it on hand. It has all the part #'s too for the clutch and anything that they may find is wrong with it.
Sorry for the time lost you spent on this matter trying to help me people ... *Sigh* I am really greatful for the replies though!
helgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #48
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Sorry for the time you spent on this matter trying to help me people ... *Sigh*
Nothing to be sorry about, we were all there at one time

I'm happy to help, but it's also invaluable to have a local resource that can give you some hands on help. Find out if there's a R/C racing scene in your area, you might even run into some racers at the store. You'll find a great deal of people who are willing to help.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #49
Tech Adept

Wait! Don't go yet :P

I'm not sure they will let me be present when they fix the car, they will probably take it and my parts, leave it on their shelves for some days and then fix it. Does this fix take a long time?

If they would fix it 100% for me, could I go surfing on the internet and gather information about repairing and maintaining Nitro RC cars and use the knowledge to maintain my car? Or is it good to have someone physically show you and teach you how to fix and maintain rather than watching videos and reading text on the net?
Old 05-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #50
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Wait! Don't go yet :P

I'm not sure they will let me be present when they fix the car, they will probably take it and my parts, leave it on their shelves for some days and then fix it. Does this fix take a long time?

If they would fix it 100% for me, could I go surfing on the internet and gather information about repairing and maintaining Nitro RC cars and use the knowledge to maintain my car? Or is it good to have someone physically show you and teach you how to fix and maintain rather than watching videos and reading text on the net?
There's a wealth of information on the internet. And if you're at all technically or mechanically inclined then you will have no trouble figuring things out. You have the manuals now, go through them. There are quite a few step by step instructions on how to remove the major parts of the truck.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #51
Tech Adept

Quote:
There's a wealth of information on the internet. And if you're at all technically or mechanically inclined then you will have no trouble figuring things out. You have the manuals now, go through them. There are quite a few step by step instructions on how to remove the major parts of the truck.
If I follow the instructions in the manual, take a really good care of the RC, will it 100% likely stay ok and not break? I really want it to be able to run for a while so I don't have to again and again to the shop and get it fixed up
Old 05-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #52
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
If I follow the instructions in the manual, take a really good care of the RC, will it 100% likely stay ok and not break? I really want it to be able to run for a while so I don't have to again and again to the shop and get it fixed up
You are going to break stuff. These things are just too fast not too. But it usually won't be anything too major (suspension arms, linkages small things like that)

It's fun but it can also get expensive. Just don't run in into hard stationary objects and you should be ok
Old 05-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #53
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The best learning tool is to tear it down one section at a time and rebuild it yourself. After doing it a couple of times you should be able to throw all the parts in a box, shake it up and put it back together in a reasonable amount of time. Dropping it off at a hobby shop most likely will be the same situation with you doing it. Most of them arent very knowledgable. Especially on all different kinds of stuff. A racer will be your best bet. Guaranteed !!
Old 05-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #54
Tech Adept

I was able to take the exhaust off the engine. Now I got excited so I was playing around with the engine when I tried to turn where you put your roto starter inside the engine. When I turned, it was easy, but when the piston went to the top, it became more difficult, and as I turned and the piston went down again, it became more easier, and when it got up again, more difficult. As I was turning, I saw the flywheel turn aswell.

BUT, if I turn the silverthingy, the flywheel as you call it, the piston does not move and there is no resistance. Have we been misunderstanding the problem? I looked at the top of the piston and it looked ok
Old 05-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #55
Tech Fanatic

Sounds like your clutch nut has come loose. You're going to have to take the clutch apart, clean the threads on the engine shaft and inside the clutch nut then re-assmeble it using a thread lock. Now you're not going to be able to grip the flywheel to keep the piston from moving when you're trying to loosen the screws to remove everything. To do this get a plastic zip tie, fold it in half. Spin the engine until the piston is at the bottom of it's stroke. Put the zip tie into the exhaust port so that it sits on top of the piston. Now when you try to loosen the bolt holding the clutch bell on the piston will move up and the zip tie will lock it so you can unscrew it

The clutch nut is the nut circled inside the clutch assembly, the clutch nut presses the flywheel onto a tapered brass washer called a collet. This locks onto the shaft and into the flywheel thereby gripping it so it'll spin. You'll see what I mean when you take it apart.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #56
Tech Adept

I don't really have a plastic zip tie, is there anything else I can use? And for the record, we are stopping the piston from going up to be able to screw the screw that holds the clutch in place, right?
Old 05-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #57
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I don't really have a plastic zip lock, is there anything else I can use? And for the record, we are stopping the piston from going up to be able to screw the screw that holds the clutch in place, right?
Anything plastic, flexible and thick enough not to break, but small enough to fit. And yes you are stopping the piston from moving up thereby locking the shaft in place so that it doesn't just spin while your trying to loosen this up.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #58
Tech Adept

Quote:
Anything plastic, flexible and thick enough not to break, but small enough to fit. And yes you are stopping the piston from moving up thereby locking the shaft in place so that it doesn't just spin while your trying to loosen this up.
I think I destroyed the engine, I tried jamming the piston with a metal stick, it scratched the hull a bit so now when I turn the same thing I turned earlier, the piston stops where I scratched the hull. Have I destroyed the engine?
Old 05-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #59
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I think I destroyed the engine, I tried jamming the piston with a metal stick, it scratched the hull a bit so now when I turn the same thing I turned earlier, the piston stops where I scratched the hull. Have I destroyed the engine?
If you scratched the brass sleeve (what the piston sits in) then yes you have. DON'T EVER PUT ANYTHING METAL IN YOUR ENGINE!
Old 05-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #60
Tech Adept

Quote:
If you scratched the brass sleeve (what the piston sits in) then yes you have. DON'T EVER PUT ANYTHING METAL IN YOUR ENGINE!
Well that's sad to hear, I didn't know. Seems like I won't be getting the rc fixed up soon , well lesson learned