Wiki Posts
Search

Sealing a motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpalessi
That's a great "how not to" video... The problem is they're under the assumption that the sealant is a silicone based sealant and it's not. That sealant just like mine (Lucky7) should NOT be used like a gasket maker or any other silicone based RTV. Lucky 7 is a wick drying air seal that should be used externally only. It's a coating sealant, not a gasket.

No offense imaxx.

I sent Bess an email right after the video was posted hoping they would edit the backplate part out or change it. The backplate part of the video effectively glues the backplate on almost permanently. Done did that once, never again. I finally got it off but was very difficult.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCmayor
I sent Bess an email right after the video was posted hoping they would edit the backplate part out or change it. The backplate part of the video effectively glues the backplate on almost permanently. Done did that once, never again. I finally got it off but was very difficult.
The reason i say not to use the sealant internally is because it will never fully cure and eventually suck into your engine causing more harm then good. I've seen this happen to many times to the point where I just recently changed the instructions on the bottles. I actually never seal my backplate I just don't see the need. I seal around the carb base, pinch bolt ends, and HSN assembly.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Ya, if the backplate oring is good then it shouldn't be a problem. If the engine is aging and I don't know the condition of the oring I usually dab some of the sealant around the edge of the backplate. I hate doing it though since it can be kind of messy removing it all.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

This was with the Racers Edge stuff so far. I haven't used the Lucky 7 stuff yet but I did just get a bottle of it for when I run out of Racers Edge. Did the Racers Edge product cure differently than the Lucky7 product?
Old 05-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCmayor
This was with the Racers Edge stuff so far. I haven't used the Lucky 7 stuff yet but I did just get a bottle of it for when I run out of Racers Edge. Did the Racers Edge product cure differently than the Lucky7 product?
totally different.. I'm not 100% sure but i think their stuff is silicone based.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Usually once the seal is broken, you need to reseal..Once you pull off the carb, or backplate, the Seal will tear and you should pull it all off and then reseal it.

On another note the discussion of what to use has been discussed for years and here is my theory on it:

O2 safe RTV silicone will break down in Nitro fuel, but in the two areas that that require sealing, (The backplate and the base of the carb) they are sealed off from the Nitro fuel from the O-rings that are installed, so the chances of your RTV actually coming into contact with Nitro Fuel are pretty slim, and seeing as though we service our engines so much anyway, chances are you will need to reseal it before it starts to deteriorate anyway.
great point jaz, now everyone is happy ha ha

I use moto seal. it works just as good as all the rtv sealant. the big difference is when you go to tear it apart it cleans right up. its designed for motocross. works wonders
Old 05-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

totally different.. I'm not 100% sure but i think their stuff is silicone based.
Racer's Edge sealant was more like a latex paint, not silicone.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

How often do u need to take your engine apart? I only take my engines apart for rebuilds..
When i do rebuild an engine i take the carb out for inspection and some fresh o rings so yes i would clean and re seal.
Joe, Dont you open to check your rod, bearings and pin?
Old 05-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Joe, Dont you open to check your rod, bearings and pin?
nope... when the engines out of the car for cleaning, clutch maintenance, ect.. I'll turn the flywheel over and hold to feel the seal at TDC, and I'll give the bearing a feel at BDC.. Bearings you'll feel a gritty feeling from flat spots on the balls. You'll also hear them chatter or just get loud at HI RPM. But to be honest I only run TKO bearings and I've had nothing but success with them. Also I haven't had any lubrication issues since i started running EB Mods fuel. Good bearings, Good fuel, you do the math.. lol
Old 05-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
RTV of any color sensor safe or not IS NOT FUEL PROOF...very few kinds of silicone will withstand the nitro...the RTV may appear to seal but it will go gummy in no time as the Nitro eats away at it....Three bond 1211 or Racer's Edge Carb sealant or Lucky 7 are the 3 products that i use.
My Bad. Thanks for the heads up. Which type of permatex brand is the right stuff?? I'm not opposed to buying Lucky7 or another, but the price is well over double that of permatex branded stuff.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by (MRC)Scotty!
My Bad. Thanks for the heads up. Which type of permatex brand is the right stuff?? I'm not opposed to buying Lucky7 or another, but the price is well over double that of permatex branded stuff.

Racer's Edge is 5$ a tube...and so is Lucky 7...Nothing permatex makes is Nitro proof.

the expensive stuff is 20$ but for what its worth i like having it on hand.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Bump
Old 05-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hitman
I work on Air cooled VW engines in my spare time and the factory (VW) calls for a sealer that never drys in any circumstance. Several years ago VW stopped making the sealer as the air cooled engines were so out of production they no longer had a need for a sealer. So our shop started looking for replacements. We found one. It was called Ford Perfect Seal. They made that until two years ago. Ford no longer makes it. I also work in the boat business some. And found another product there that we tested and like. Its called Quicksilver (by Mercury) Perfect Seal. I used this Quicksilver Perfect Seal on my nitro motors and i will tell you why. I dont like RTV for anything that comes inside of an engine. I make mistakes and I dont even want the smallest piece of silicone inside of my engine to cause damage ( I have seen this hundreds of times on VW engines). I like this product because it breaks down inside the engine but where it makes the seal it doesnt. It never drys completely and maintains basically a wet seal. Silicone is a great product and I know most of you have great success with it and I am not dogging silicone I am just explaining my choice and offering my opinion.

Anyone else tested anything like the Quicksilver Perfect Seal????

Hitman
Honda makes something that sounds similar to this. It's a form-a-gasket type sealant used on the clutch covers on their sport bikes. It doesn't stay fully wet, but it ends up kind of like wet clay.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have a slayer with a about a gallon through the 3.3, should I go ahead and seal the engine? where is the best place to get Racers Edge sealant, do most hobby shops carry it?
Old 05-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by cassidy
I have a slayer with a about a gallon through the 3.3, should I go ahead and seal the engine? where is the best place to get Racers Edge sealant, do most hobby shops carry it?
amain's got it...and most hobby shops who carry Racers Edge would be wise to have it in stock...My LHS sure does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.