R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-23-2009, 10:23 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
Dang, I just started a thread about this. Stupid search option. LOL. Anyways, does the Racers' Edge sealant set-up/dry inside the tube between uses?

I have been using Versachem's Mega Black and it works great. Only problem is the sealant will dry in the tube and then I have to dig and dig to get to the fresh sealant. It's annoying to dig in that little tube for 10 minutes when sealing the whole engine is only a 10 minute job.

My tube's last about 2-4 month's before they start to harden up and i Use a 30-40mm long M4 screw that i berry under the cap to prevent it from hardening all the way around the nozzle....I also use the Lucky 7 for certain area's....its more of a Seal once assemble'd...the racer's edge is a gasket style sealant that can also be applied over top to seal anything but the nice factor about the Lucky 7 is the Wicking action of it....it will wick into small cracks and crevases to seal but i have found there to be some small bubble's that will appear once dry and a 2nd coat might be needed.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:11 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have even used RTV to seal up leaking fuel tank's so don't tell me it's not "nitro safe"

you can spend tripple the money for 1/4 the product, it's your money burn it how you like
madmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #18
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
i have even used RTV to seal up leaking fuel tank's so don't tell me it's not "nitro safe"

you can spend tripple the money for 1/4 the product, it's your money burn it how you like

dry a quarter sized blob of your RTV then stick it in a container of Fuel...see what happens to your " nitro safe" sealant.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 05-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #19
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
dry a quarter sized blob of your RTV then stick it in a container of Fuel...see what happens to your " nitro safe" sealant.
+1
Old 05-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #20
Tech Adept

can i sell some of what you guy's are smoking? please?
Old 05-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #21
Tech Lord

Quote:

fyi this isn't RCU.....people actually know what they are talking about over here...and stop trolling all the thread's i post in...its quite annoying.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:

You should listen here mate...RTV is not nitro proof......Its easy to test, take a jar, put some nitro in it, then drop a hardened blob of RTV into the nitro...leave it overnight and come back the next day and shake the jar, you will see the nitro is all colored the same color as the RTV......

Yes I have seen RTV seal a cracked tank, however I have also melted RTV with nitro.... So without question it is better to use a product that is truly nitro proof like 1211, Lucky7, or Racers Edge.....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
fyi this isn't RCU.....people actually know what they are talking about over here...and stop trolling all the thread's i post in...its quite annoying.
get over yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
You should listen here mate...RTV is not nitro proof......Its easy to test, take a jar, put some nitro in it, then drop a hardened blob of RTV into the nitro...leave it overnight and come back the next day and shake the jar, you will see the nitro is all colored the same color as the RTV......

Yes I have seen RTV seal a cracked tank, however I have also melted RTV with nitro.... So without question it is better to use a product that is truly nitro proof like 1211, Lucky7, or Racers Edge.....
untill i have an issue with it i will continue to use my ultra black RTV. so far so good! one full season and counting still with no leak's! AMAZING!!

the first time i tried to seal an engine i used aviation form-a-gasket which is stated as being fuel proof, well it's not so scratch that off the list! work's great on sealing anything 1:1 though

FYI if you put a piece of raw meat submerged in coca cola it will dissolve too! pepsi/coke also work's great at removing rust from chrome
Old 05-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Don't fight boys or your moms will take your toys away!!!

Last edited by moeman; 05-24-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: sPEliNg
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #25
Tech Adept

do you have to reseal an engine every time u take it apart or is it just a one time thing?
lalmog91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #26
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalmog91 View Post
do you have to reseal an engine every time u take it apart or is it just a one time thing?
Usually once the seal is broken, you need to reseal..Once you pull off the carb, or backplate, the Seal will tear and you should pull it all off and then reseal it.

On another note the discussion of what to use has been discussed for years and here is my theory on it:

O2 safe RTV silicone will break down in Nitro fuel, but in the two areas that that require sealing, (The backplate and the base of the carb) they are sealed off from the Nitro fuel from the O-rings that are installed, so the chances of your RTV actually coming into contact with Nitro Fuel are pretty slim, and seeing as though we service our engines so much anyway, chances are you will need to reseal it before it starts to deteriorate anyway.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Question,
If you do seal an engine and want to open the backplate/carb area, is it hard to remove this engine seal stuff? Does it dry hard? Or is it like a thick grease?
Old 05-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalmog91 View Post
How often do u need to take your engine apart? I only take my engines apart for rebuilds..
When i do rebuild an engine i take the carb out for inspection and some fresh o rings so yes i would clean and re seal.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarwashington View Post
Question,
If you do seal an engine and want to open the backplate/carb area, is it hard to remove this engine seal stuff? Does it dry hard? Or is it like a thick grease?
Lucky 7 you can peel or pull off with a knife. It goes on thin and works around very easily, but then quickly drys into a hard flexible coating.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default My Choice is much different

I work on Air cooled VW engines in my spare time and the factory (VW) calls for a sealer that never drys in any circumstance. Several years ago VW stopped making the sealer as the air cooled engines were so out of production they no longer had a need for a sealer. So our shop started looking for replacements. We found one. It was called Ford Perfect Seal. They made that until two years ago. Ford no longer makes it. I also work in the boat business some. And found another product there that we tested and like. Its called Quicksilver (by Mercury) Perfect Seal. I used this Quicksilver Perfect Seal on my nitro motors and i will tell you why. I dont like RTV for anything that comes inside of an engine. I make mistakes and I dont even want the smallest piece of silicone inside of my engine to cause damage ( I have seen this hundreds of times on VW engines). I like this product because it breaks down inside the engine but where it makes the seal it doesnt. It never drys completely and maintains basically a wet seal. Silicone is a great product and I know most of you have great success with it and I am not dogging silicone I am just explaining my choice and offering my opinion.

Anyone else tested anything like the Quicksilver Perfect Seal????

Hitman

USAF Retired
No One Comes Close!!!!
hitman is offline   Reply With Quote