R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Ceramics. Are they worth the $? Do they last? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/299065-ceramics-they-worth-%24-do-they-last.html)

mfrosty 05-22-2009 06:26 AM

Ceramics. Are they worth the $? Do they last?

So, I'm seriously considering picking up This set of ceramics from Boca. It states that they are "maintenance free and lubed for life" how true is this statement? Can a bearing REALLY be maintenance free? I drove a friends MBX6 with full ceramics in it and there were parts of the track when I could just use momentum to carry it over a double where my car required a quick blip of the throttle. I couldn't believe how smooth and frictionless (it seemed anyway) the car was. I would just hate to spend the $ on bearings that'll be toast in a month.

Let's hear your opinions on it!

Thanks!

l3asher 05-22-2009 06:30 AM

I change bearing every gallon of fuel so to me that is a total waste of money.

mfrosty 05-22-2009 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by l3asher (Post 5845221)
I change bearing every gallon of fuel so to me that is a total waste of money.

I do to, sometimes more often (with the $1 throw-a-ways) but if these last a season or two it might be worth it.

Shane369 05-22-2009 06:45 AM

Just curious to know, are you changng every bearing each gallon or just select ones?

devilchrist 05-22-2009 06:48 AM

From my reasearch ceramic hybrids wear out faster than metal bearings, due the the ceramic ball being much harder they wear out the steel races.

Full Ceramics the only way to go, and they last much longer than any steel or hybrid bearings

but full cermics cost 100 a bearing.. so not very cost effective nor are they lubed for life.

mfrosty 05-22-2009 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shane369 (Post 5845271)
Just curious to know, are you changng every bearing each gallon or just select ones?

I go through all my bearings after every 2nd race weekend. I replace any that feel gritty/locked etc... I have a pile of em I'm starting to accumulate and I keep saying I'm going to clean and re-lube them, but then I go buy another 10 pack and add to the pile of used bearings :lol:

Jaz240 05-22-2009 07:42 AM

I had a full set of Ceramic Nitride bearings in my Hyper 7 from Acer $125 for the complete set (26) they were pretty great for a couple of weekends, and then they needed to be cleaned, and lubed..I would have much rather stuck with the $1 avids, and thrown them away.

If someone invents a bearing that is truly maintenance free, and lube free..I would try it

AK-driver 05-22-2009 07:46 AM

Bearings

Where I found the ceramic's make a huge difference is if you if you get them wet doesn't bother them like steel bearing ceramic's don't rust.In my opinion it is a must for the clutch bell and I use them on the rest of the car at the first bearing change.Didn't go through one bearing last season in buggy or truggy with 7 gallons of fuel using acer ceramic's. Mark,:nod:

Frank L 05-22-2009 07:47 AM

In an engine TKO ceramics are The way to go everywhere else protek, panther, or avid are perfect. I tried high dollar ceramics in the clutch bell and after a 30 min main the stocklosi bearings felt better than the ceramics. When they were clean the ceramics felt tons better. It opinion os buy protek or avid and when they go bad throw them away.

Integra 05-22-2009 08:15 AM

I use cheepo's over here...bearing's go bad far too often to waste 5$ a pop on a Single bearing....Ceramic's in Motor's is a whole other story. :nod:

houston 05-22-2009 08:40 AM

definitely ceramics in engines :nod: