Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DONT BUY A V-SPEC!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

man it's hard to strip those deep socket heads.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I personally think OS uses the cheapest materials around. There parts quality, craftsmanship, and customer service do not warrant the prices of their engines..Now that being said, if you care to open and inspect your engine every gallon of fuel and replace the bearings, and the rod, and reseal it, then you will get a good engine, but that adds major $$$$ to the price of the engine.

I also had a bad experience with OS as my V-spec came from the factory with a cracked case. I sent it back with a note, as they could see it had not been run because I could not prime it..They sent it back with a note saying No WARRANTY!..That was my first and last OS product
damn, that's terrible
i don't see why they wouldn't exchange something that was a manufacture
defect
Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Depends on if he called OS or Great Plains.

Originally Posted by 801xthawaii
damn, that's terrible
i don't see why they wouldn't exchange something that was a manufacture
defect
Old 06-01-2009, 06:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I sent it to the OS service department, and then when they sent it back I called OS and I called great planes..and I got "Go to Hell" from everyone, so I bought a new case for it, and bearings and its on its 3rd gallon now
Old 06-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

I just bought a OS .28ZX for my SC8 about a month ago. I went through a proper break in and got it out to its' first race and what do ya know, the retaining clips for the pin that holds the rod and piston together popped out and destroyed the internals. I called and spoke to someone that told me to send it in and they would help me out, but a few days later I got an email saying that there was nothing they could do for me. On top of that they then charged me $25 to send the engine back to me. After I rebuild this one myself I will never buy another OS product. I know they can't replace every engine that has a problem b/c there's bound to be some issues that are caused by the consumer, but damn, this thing was less than a month old and didn't even have 15 tanks on it
Old 06-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Luck of the draw I guess. A buddy of mine has had 2 .28 rebuilt under warrenty by OS. OS rebuilt (sleeve,piston and bearing) my VG twice.

Originally Posted by mcdonaldsracing
I just bought a OS .28ZX for my SC8 about a month ago. I went through a proper break in and got it out to its' first race and what do ya know, the retaining clips for the pin that holds the rod and piston together popped out and destroyed the internals. I called and spoke to someone that told me to send it in and they would help me out, but a few days later I got an email saying that there was nothing they could do for me. On top of that they then charged me $25 to send the engine back to me. After I rebuild this one myself I will never buy another OS product. I know they can't replace every engine that has a problem b/c there's bound to be some issues that are caused by the consumer, but damn, this thing was less than a month old and didn't even have 15 tanks on it
Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I run an OS VZ-B .21 on the buggy. I bought the motor second hand from a racer / friend at one of our local tracks. I then jumped into a series race and thought it would take a race or 2 to get it tuned. Well, it wasn't until the end of the series that I got the bugs worked out of it.

First - The engine had just over a gallon on it.

Second - I'm running a JP-3 pipe.

Third - It wasn't until another racer came to me and said what fuel are you running, as it didn't smell right to him.

I tried a 125cc of his O-Donnell's and the engine ran and sounded like a different engine.

I dumped the rest of the fuel I was using and then ran O-Donnell's the rest of the season, and the engine was flawless.

(Must of had a bad batch of fuel)

I sent the engine to a machine shop to have the pinch and piston checked and plan to run it this season.

I will say this about the V-Spec engines. They are a lot of fun, and once you figure them out they are great engines.

Also, make sure after you run it, you make sure the piston is at bottom dead center.

3+ Gallons and going strong.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by offr0aden
I run an OS VZ-B .21 on the buggy. I bought the motor second hand from a racer / friend at one of our local tracks. I then jumped into a series race and thought it would take a race or 2 to get it tuned. Well, it wasn't until the end of the series that I got the bugs worked out of it.

First - The engine had just over a gallon on it.

Second - I'm running a JP-3 pipe.

Third - It wasn't until another racer came to me and said what fuel are you running, as it didn't smell right to him.

I tried a 125cc of his O-Donnell's and the engine ran and sounded like a different engine.

I dumped the rest of the fuel I was using and then ran O-Donnell's the rest of the season, and the engine was flawless.

(Must of had a bad batch of fuel)

I sent the engine to a machine shop to have the pinch and piston checked and plan to run it this season.

I will say this about the V-Spec engines. They are a lot of fun, and once you figure them out they are great engines.

Also, make sure after you run it, you make sure the piston is at bottom dead center.

3+ Gallons and going strong.
What fuel were you running? Just curious.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

O-Donnell's - Let me add, I was on the line with OS as I couldn't figure out what was going on and they suggested O-Donnell's as the oil content is much higher / better (In their words) I asked around about the fuel, as the fuel local to us was a good price but had a low oil content. The synthetic oil in the fuel really made the difference.

Just the gallon I got was from a LHS that doesn't cater to racers, so I imagine the fuel was old.

The problem I was chasing, was it would run and idle great (At times) but had to run rich on the low side to due so. The high side would POP and Spit like it was starving for fuel, but then at time / around 200 deg. it would clear out and the high side would run great. Then the low side would have to be rich to stay running. And while on the track after warm up, bringing the low side in, it would get better, then the idle would climb and not come back down. When you brought the idle screw out it would die. It acted like an air leak. After chasing the idle and the top end and having everyone have a turn on the needles. In the end it was the fuel.

I of course sealed the back plate and the carb. ring / pinch bolt.

And the funny thing is I was running it on my starter box and trying to catch the idle, when he came bye, He was running the same fuel and we compared the smoke and smell. I dumped out the half tank or so and squeezed in his, fired it up and it idled without touching a thing.

Then we put it on the track and within 6 or 7 minutes, it was running insane.

Here is a video - this was when we got the other fuel in it, I was leading and took first in the B-main and bumped up to the A - it drove totally different as you can imagine.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by offr0aden; 06-01-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
+1 on the hudy tools. I chaecked the head bolts on my vspec when it was new with a 2.5mm and I just installed a EB mode head button once again 2.5 wrench. No problems here. There engines are from japan no way that standard 3-32 stuff is goona fit it's metric. Do your self a favor and invest in a good quality set of wrenches (not proline -worst wrenches ever). I love the hudy stuff.
its duratrax wrenches worst for me
i bought a few 2.0mm replacement tips
and tried to use it on brand new flat head screws and
they totally slipped with me holding the screw
Old 06-02-2009, 03:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Default !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Urgent help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone i need help i own a nitro powered rc car it is a thunder tiger tomahawk truggy st and when i go full throttle it goes slow and i have had it for about 2 weeks and i have broken it in and stuff but yesterday it just done this plz help and reply to me at

[email protected] reply on this because i dont know how to see replys on this forum
Old 06-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Tech Adept

will a picco carb insert fit the v-spec?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rawdawgga
will a picco carb insert fit the v-spec?

No and you would'nt want a picco carb on a spec anyways...they are imo 1 of the worst carbs on the market.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Integra
No and you would'nt want a picco carb on a spec anyways...they are imo 1 of the worst carbs on the market.
No, not the carb it self just the 7mm insert
Old 06-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rawdawgga
No, not the carb it self just the 7mm insert

oh...didn't see that.....no it wont...the picco's are really short compared to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.