Old 05-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cary
IMO v-specs are one of the best bang for the buck
and nothing last forever thay are race motors that
wing at 40,000+ rpms putting out 2.5+hp and only
cost $300/$500 not bad

these motor's DO NOT put out 2.5+Hp.....a Big Mod picco/jammin .28 will pull a genuine 2.5.......but a race .21 will be hard pressed to pull a True 2hp...there are a couple that come real close...but they aren't there yet.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

i was not claiming any rpm or hp faxs just that i
think a nitro motor for what it does is not a bad
del the rpm/hp output per dollar is good
look at a f1 motor rpm/hp per dollar
i think we get a lot more bang for the buck
Old 05-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Tech Addict

I highly doubt any .21 engine even carries a true horse power...so all those number ratings, "2.5hp, 1.0hp" is a marketing gimmick.

You have to expect something to go wrong dealing with any of these engines, regardless which manufacturer it is. They dont run these engines from the factory, so there is no "tests" being done on your product once purchased

I have had motors from the manufacturer go bad, and i know for certain it wasnt my fault, but it was never an OS engine.

I did last year crack the crankcase on my EB modded Vspec (8 gallons old or so) i purposly bashed the car around the track, got aggrovated and over shot a jump, bam...case closed.

ever since then i havent had an instance with any of my Vspec motors...they run great, have excellent fuel mileage, and tune very very easily. The only other motor that i know of that was easier to tune, was my old Novarossi P5X.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Jesse
I highly doubt any .21 engine even carries a true horse power...so all those number ratings, "2.5hp, 1.0hp" is a marketing gimmick.

you are mistaken...there are multiple .21's that carry a lot more then 1hp on the big end.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

O.S. stands for Oh Sh!t the case broke or the bearings went out.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

thats funny, and im not trying to knock you by any means, but the TRUE definition of "horse power" is 33,000 lb.ft./minute. I doubt any one of those engines could pull a quarter of that....in fact auto manufacturers have abused such ratings for years, some of which are actually true. But to put into perspective....1 hp ≡ 33,000 ft·lbf/min

RPM ratings? sure...but actual horse power ratings...not true at all just by looking what a true horse power rating is. i could tie my nitro buggy to my ankle and pin it WOT and it wouldnt move an inch.

go carts carry 3.5 horse power, and they have to carry a full grown man....i can hold my kit with one hand and it wont go anywhere.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Tech Addict

and thats IF the go cart even truely has 3.5HP....or 5.0HP

my old Camaro Z28 boasted 300HP....but that was 300HP at the fly, 276 at the wheels on a totally different dyno with different software..

its a good reference point for these engines for whatever software they are using, but those numbers seem to be really exaggerated
Old 05-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

First they have no warrenty - second you need to call OS not great plane - I had a vspec and the block cracked while breaking it in. Sent them a digital picture, and they sent me a new engine.........
Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Addict

I would like to start a horsepower discussion, but first ....I gotta get drunk!!!!These horsepower discussions are limited to adults over the legal drinking age unless you have a note from your parents.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Joey Platinum
I would like to start a horsepower discussion, but first ....I gotta get drunk!!!!These horsepower discussions are limited to adults over the legal drinking age unless you have a note from your parents.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joey Platinum
LOL

on a side note....

i have a vspec. 3/4th of a gallon the rod blew. i sent it to them and they sent me an invoice i called to see what was going on they told me exact words "we did not find any signs of misuse so we are going to warranty the connecting rod for you, if you would like us to replace the piston and sleeve as well as the bearings it will be 119+ shipping and handling"..........

i was like wtf cause the rod was what damaged the p/s and rear bearing. so i ended up gettin it back with the new rod and put new tko bearings and the ninja p/s and im breakin it in now....

my dad has a vspec and it has a good 6-7 gallons thru it and he JUST replaced the bearings and resealed the whole engine and this thing has awesome pinch left. prob enough for a good 10+ more gallons. it seriously feels like it just got broken in. if my engine does like my dads thats all that will keep me with os.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

in a perfect world wher there is no tire/road slippage, yes the nitro engine will pull a full grown man, only and only if you sit on a near zero friction surface.

who ever said that nitro car can't pull you by tying up your leg.. LOL...

it's all physics my friend..
Old 05-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by GMS_Racing
Ive ran a few O.S. V-Spec's and finallt took the step to the big boy..the Worlds Edition. After 3/4 of a gallon and no good reason i got a crack on the mounting tab. After sending Great Planes emails and talking to them they will do NOTHING to help me. SCREW them and O.S. motors!! A few people in my area (Tampa) have had problems with the case recently and they wont even entertain the thought that it may have been a bad batch of cases. I offered to send the whole thing in and they still said they could do nothing for me. DONT BUY A V-SPEC OR EXPECT ANY HELP FROM GREAT PLANES!!!
Hey Matt,I've got a regular V spec case.If it will help you your welcome to it free of charge.I race at Outacontrol in Orlando.Give me a call if you need it.
Pete Payne 407-312-6895
Old 05-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pete 26
Hey Matt,I've got a regular V spec case.If it will help you your welcome to it free of charge.I race at Outacontrol in Orlando.Give me a call if you need it.
Pete Payne 407-312-6895
WOW, thats a nice offer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.