R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-23-2009, 12:40 AM   #61
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Here's an RC monster truck pulling a Civic despite most of the engines power being wasted to wheel spin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k3A3g409RI
my dog can pull more weight than that! sit on it and see what happens LMAO here is my dog pulling 5200 pounds at a ADBA weight pulling competition..:

I guess my dog has 3.5 horse power!! lol
Tonys Screws- Keeps you from getting screwed
Byrons Fuel- Makes the RC world go round
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:52 AM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Interesting but not all that impressive to me since we have an aircraft tug at work. That thing might have 40 hp.
Thats a regular passenger vehicle on the road now rated for 7000lbs towing pulling 128+ tons of weight, not a purpose built aircraft tug at the airport.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:29 AM   #63
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
my dog can pull more weight than that! sit on it and see what happens LMAO here is my dog pulling 5200 pounds at a ADBA weight pulling competition..:

WOW!! That brings back memories!! I stayed at the conformation shows in New Jersey. I bred pits for 15 years!! He looks good. Is he an "Ace"?
Old 05-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #64
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
No way to know unless I knew how fast he pulled it and how far he went. My point in all this is that horsepower is not a measure of how much weight something can pull. Horsepower is a factor of torque (how much weight it could pull) AND SPEED (rpm). While our motors have very little torque, the make good HP numbers because of the extremely high RPM's. This is what gearing is for. If you have a 4:1 gear ratio, you have just multiplied the torque by four but reduced the speed by four as well. With enough gearing and traction you could pull anything, just not very quickly. A servo motor (which has very little HP) driving a winch could pull the same weight as your dog with enough gear reduction, it would just do it extremely slowly.

Again, I don't have enough info to calculate your dog's HP but I bet it's at least 1. That's a good looking animal you have there.

If you believe that you have to have lots of HP to pull heavy weights, how do you explain winches? A small winch can lift a car straight up off the ground with a motor that probably makes less than 1 hp.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #65
Tech Elite

Quote:
No way to know unless I knew how fast he pulled it and how far he went. My point in all this is that horsepower is not a measure of how much weight something can pull. Horsepower is a factor of torque (how much weight it could pull) AND SPEED (rpm). While our motors have very little torque, the make good HP numbers because of the extremely high RPM's. This is what gearing is for. If you have a 4:1 gear ratio, you have just multiplied the torque by four but reduced the speed by four as well. With enough gearing and traction you could pull anything, just not very quickly. A servo motor (which has very little HP) driving a winch could pull the same weight as your dog with enough gear reduction, it would just do it extremely slowly.

Again, I don't have enough info to calculate your dog's HP but I bet it's at least 1. That's a good looking animal you have there.

If you believe that you have to have lots of HP to pull heavy weights, how do you explain winches? A small winch can lift a car straight up off the ground with a motor that probably makes less than 1 hp.
umm... maybe he was joking around, not being dead serious. You have to agree, that's one strong poochy.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #66
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Its definitely torque that makes pulling power, not Horse power..If you take a servo rated at 333Oz oz torque that would mean if you strapped it to a 20LB cinderblock, it would lift it off the ground, but I dont think The servo has any horsepower whatsoever
Old 05-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #67
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Its definitely torque that makes pulling power, not Horse power..If you take a servo rated at 333Oz oz torque that would mean if you strapped it to a 20LB cinderblock, it would lift it off the ground, but I dont think The servo has any horsepower whatsoever
+10

Quote:
WOW!! That brings back memories!! I stayed at the conformation shows in New Jersey. I bred pits for 15 years!! He looks good. Is he an "Ace"?
no way man, out here in cali thats a really hard feat to accomplish as i am sure you already know! he started to generate enough points to make "ACE" but it was i that gave up, as he would do just about anything for me.

I did conformation as well...showed in both the UKC and AKC, showed some AMSTAFFS and APBT's. my boy nox is a UKC CH and has 3 legs torwards his grand championship, he is also a intnl CH, but i stopped when he was 1 1/2years old, wanted to wait till he was 4 to win his next 2. I just never got around to bring him back to the ring. But he did vey well, earned an AOM at th UKC nationals here in southern california, there were 145 APBT entries to include a ton of paid handlers, so for him to be selected as the final 5 in the champion class is pretty good i think. I also showed quite a few others...I also wanted to get into ring sport and shutzhund, but never have enough time...that alone takes a ton of work for both handler and dog, but those 2 venues seem to interest me most and seemed the most prestigious. But california as usual has great competition, if you want to prove your dogs merit, this is the state to do it in! people would fly out to AZ to get easy wins lol

but here is my other boy:

this is me teaching him to stack at 3 months of age (he was stubborn but had a ton of zest):

this is him at 1 yrs of age:

Old 05-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #68
Tech Rookie

I have a v-spec that died during the break-in process as well. Had some pros helping me tune it at the end of the break-in. Wouldn't hold the tune, kept running really 'boggy' and it lost all pinch. I have since replaced the piston, sleeve, bearings and con-rod and still have no pinch. Now have a $500 v-spec. Fortunately, my back-up Novarossi is a beast.

You guys that had luck with OS service, where did you send it? Was it to the Hobbico service center, or is there another place?
Chatzstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #69
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Your dogs are beautiful Jesse
Old 05-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #70
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Ran my 1st qual with the Vspec Speed today. All I can say is what an engine. I love it. Power everywhere, no flameouts, idles smooth and throws my 8T 2.0 around like its nothing. I dont care what you say about vspecs I love this speed. Best engine I have owned so far. I dont even have the right pipe. I'm using a dyn 053 with the dyn header. The thing flat screams, I think with a 2050 or 2060 pipe it will be even better. I talked to Ryan Lutz today at a Memorial Day Shoot out in Madera, CA, he loves his speeds. In his opinion the 2050 pipe is better for more torque and better fitted to the speed. How can you argue with experience like that. Say what you want about the vspecs I think they are excellent so far. Definatly BUY A VSPEC!!!
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #71
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Ran my 1st qual with the Vspec Speed today. All I can say is what an engine. I love it. Power everywhere, no flameouts, idles smooth and throws my 8T 2.0 around like its nothing. I dont care what you say about vspecs I love this speed. Best engine I have owned so far. I dont even have the right pipe. I'm using a dyn 053 with the dyn header. The thing flat screams, I think with a 2050 or 2060 pipe it will be even better. I talked to Ryan Lutz today at a Memorial Day Shoot out in Madera, CA, he loves his speeds. In his opinion the 2050 pipe is better for more torque and better fitted to the speed. How can you argue with experience like that. Say what you want about the vspecs I think they are excellent so far. Definatly BUY A VSPEC!!!
Actually, both of those pipes will probably take just a touch of power away (though not much) but could give you a fuel mileage boost.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #72
Tech Lord

Getting about 10:30 on a tank in a truggy.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #73
Tech Lord

Quote:
Actually, both of those pipes will probably take just a touch of power away (though not much) but could give you a fuel mileage boost.
What pipe then??
Old 05-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #74
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have Never had an issue with a V spec, I like em, Run one in buggy, OS 2060 Pipe, Truggy 2050 pipe, dunno what the wad is about but they are good enigines, if you cannot tune an OS I would look at other issues, those mills have been great. I am NOT a break in nut, 2 tanks...tune and run. If it is gonna go. its gone!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #75
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Your dogs are beautiful Jesse
Thanks man!! they are knuckleheads, but fun to kick it with none the less lol