Differential.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Default Differential.

Hi, may I know why my differential oil going black when I open up? Can a differential oil going less or mean left 30% inside the differential case after 2 months run ( ~8 times ) if no leaking? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if you don't fill the diif to the top you leave air in the diff and it aerate's the oil breaking it down faster....

my $0.02
Old 05-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by madmaxx
if you don't fill the diif to the top you leave air in the diff and it aerate's the oil breaking it down faster....

my $0.02
Hi, I always filled 80-90% full and close. Is that consider ok? May I know what you mean "it aerate's the oil breaking it down faster"? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

you hsould fill diffs to just pass the cross bars meaning just above where the two shafts cross and as for the oil you should change it after a few track days it want it to feel the same all the time diff. fluid breaks down and turns the dark color yhour speaking of
Old 05-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jewn_beef
you hsould fill diffs to just pass the cross bars meaning just above where the two shafts cross and as for the oil you should change it after a few track days it want it to feel the same all the time diff. fluid breaks down and turns the dark color yhour speaking of
oic....just filled over the cross bar...I used to filled almost full of the differential case Ok, I will follow your advise on next service. You mean the diff oil turn to dark colour is normal and it turn to dork due to over used? Please advise. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Tech Master

The gears inside the diff are aluminum & rubbing together even in oil will cause slight wear at worst & a continual polishing at best & the tiny alum particles is what turns the oil dark gray.Its normal & a little leaking out past the o-rings during use is normal also for most diffs.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by butch man
The gears inside the diff are aluminum & rubbing together even in oil will cause slight wear at worst & a continual polishing at best & the tiny alum particles is what turns the oil dark gray.Its normal & a little leaking out past the o-rings during use is normal also for most diffs.
OIC.......because of the aluminium rubbing and cause the diff oil going dark.........So in my case it was normal and only thing is I need a little hardworking to change the diff oil regular, right? :
Old 05-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

basically yes...and you DO NOT fill the cup right up to to the top...you only go as high as the cross pins as Filling the diff right up will cause inconsistency in the diff itself....air in the diff oil is Nothing you will get away from...they are Not 100% sealed units.