R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Questions?? PIPES and Backpressure

Ok, I know low back pressure causes all sorts of problems. I seem to be having them now. I've been chasing a Lean condition and have eliminated everything but the pipe. Problem I have is my great running motor now runs lean. Not just this motor, all I put on this buggy. I had to richen both needles to atleast stock settings to get it to not lean out. Starves for fuel on top and bottom. I've never heard of this but can pipes go bad and cause a drop in Pressure? There are no visible signs of a problem but I've replaced the tank, lines, and put 3 different carbs on this motor. I've installed 3 different motors that have all acted the same way. The Exhaust seals are new and the spring is tight. All the motors have been sealed and have new front bearings. I've been through a lot trying to fix this issue. I have another pipe on the way, but wanted to know if anyone has ever had a Pipe fail like this? Thanks.
2fst2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fst2c View Post
Ok, I know low back pressure causes all sorts of problems. I seem to be having them now. I've been chasing a Lean condition and have eliminated everything but the pipe. Problem I have is my great running motor now runs lean. Not just this motor, all I put on this buggy. I had to richen both needles to atleast stock settings to get it to not lean out. Starves for fuel on top and bottom. I've never heard of this but can pipes go bad and cause a drop in Pressure? There are no visible signs of a problem but I've replaced the tank, lines, and put 3 different carbs on this motor. I've installed 3 different motors that have all acted the same way. The Exhaust seals are new and the spring is tight. All the motors have been sealed and have new front bearings. I've been through a lot trying to fix this issue. I have another pipe on the way, but wanted to know if anyone has ever had a Pipe fail like this? Thanks.
pressure nipple could possibly be clogged , ross had that problem at the silver state . clean pipe out and also check the tank
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Tech Master

I cleaned the pipe and blew it out. I blew in the nipple too. Seems to be clear. I've put 2 new tanks on it so far with new lines and filter. To give an example of the situation..My Go 5 pt running great with HSN about 1hr in from flush, and LSN 1 1/4- 1-1/2 in from flush. It has the Long LSN. Now it lean bogs bad. I've had to move the HSN 1/2 turn above flush and LSN to Flush just to get it to not run out of fuel and it still does at times on accel. It's not a flood out then clear out it's a Bwaa Bwaa Bwaa, richen it up and it gets better. Only thing I can say is it has to have low tank pressure. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fst2c View Post
I cleaned the pipe and blew it out. I blew in the nipple too. Seems to be clear. I've put 2 new tanks on it so far with new lines and filter. To give an example of the situation..My Go 5 pt running great with HSN about 1hr in from flush, and LSN 1 1/4- 1-1/2 in from flush. It has the Long LSN. Now it lean bogs bad. I've had to move the HSN 1/2 turn above flush and LSN to Flush just to get it to not run out of fuel and it still does at times on accel. It's not a flood out then clear out it's a Bwaa Bwaa Bwaa, richen it up and it gets better. Only thing I can say is it has to have low tank pressure. Thanks for the help.
might possibly have something stuck in the hsn

i have seen a few problems with go carbs and have seen some good ones , try a novarossi carb , best on the market and no i am not just sayin that
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Tech Master

I've tried 2 different Go carbs, a New O.S. carb and also 3 completely different motors that ran great until this problem developed. If I replace enough stuff, I'll find it sooner or later.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Fuel line

Quick question, have you checked you fuel line to see if fuel flows freely? Also, did you also have time to check the fuel filter for air leaks? Maybe even running with the body off so you can see the fuel line if there are air pockets in the fuel tubing. Also, the recommendation to check the carb sounds like a really good idea also. Also to clarify, you changed to different motors and the problem still was there. If that was the case, then there's a good chance that it's not anything to do with the motor since the problem is still there even after the change of the motor.
HB D8T with BCE Chassis, ACE Shock towers and motor mounts, M2C Rear Suspension system, KH front steering plate and chassis braces, Lunsford Ti-turnbuckles & hinge pins, OS Speed motor, Hitec 5995TG steering, Futaba 9351 throttle/brake, OS 2060 pipe, and J concepts Punisher Body.
HB D8: CEO Mods Novarossi P5K with JP4 tuned pipe, JR 9000T steering, JR 8800T throttle.
gotspeed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

it is probably the pipe try a different pipe i have an os 2050 that got clogged up inside went through the same thing as you until figured out it was the pipe changed it out and problem was gone
jewn_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:01 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i have experiance where my car would start run for a while but wouldthen stop chasing problem for a while until i then replaced the pipe problem been in the ned was the baffals in the pipe something wrong not suppling back pressure
mattwoodcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:39 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Check the header for cracks - check where the header and the pipe connect - It could be slighlty bent causing leak even a new gasket cant fix. And triple check that the nipple is cleaned out. Still sounds like its blocked.

Alot of people do not clean out their pipes (hahahahaha) but I clean mine with some nitro cleaner when ever I do a major tear down of my truck....

Good Luck