R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I read somewhere that it's a siro based engine. I think. But that might be the trinity extech now that i think about it.
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #32
Tech Apprentice

Let's not forget here that it's a 229.00 engine, you can't have it all at that price. When I spoke with Steve and I asked him if there will be a modded version of it, he said eventually yes there will be one brought out. So we can expect it to have a coated crank, ceramic bearings, and a super lightweight head. Now with that said, we can expect the price to be much higher, more like 350.00 I'm guessing.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

So everyone that has chimed in has already provided their unfounded opinions that the motor will have durability issues. Be realistic, its a new motor, that has not been in the hands of the masses yet, so again, you cant really put any facts to the claims. Furthermore, like stated, your making assumptions on comparisons of $400 & $500 motors to a $230 motor. Apples to oranges in my opinion.
golferdude1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

well i know myself and a bunch of other team guys, hobby shops and etc. have the motors now so as soon as i get to the track this sunday to run it i will report back and let you know.

and i will give you a no bs review. i have run the vpecs, speeds, novas, orions and they have all been great motors and ill tell you my honest opnion of how it stacks up

******* DialedSetups.com ****** Check it out!!!!!
punkracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferdude1971 View Post
So everyone that has chimed in has already provided their unfounded opinions that the motor will have durability issues. Be realistic, its a new motor, that has not been in the hands of the masses yet, so again, you cant really put any facts to the claims. Furthermore, like stated, your making assumptions on comparisons of $400 & $500 motors to a $230 motor. Apples to oranges in my opinion.
no where did I say it should. for 230, I'll be getting one, but to say this will match upto speed is bunch of BS without hard evidence in dyno and comparing the two engines after 10 galons of fuel. This engine is still way too new for anyone to make a hard statedment saying it's durable or not.

DLC coating has been proven to make crank last longer, cermics reduce rotational mass and friction giving higher RPM, that's just known facts.

I love odonnell products, don't get me wrong, I do have and love my Z01, but just because team drivers say it's a great motor doesn't make it a great motor.

Like everyone here I want this motor to be a success, by god this hobby is getting way overpriced. And when $230 motor can compete with other higher end motors, you can bet local tracks will get more competative and affordable.

Anyhow, considering how popular this motor is already, I may wait for the modded on at that price.
devilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default motor

IMO you don't need ceramics or DLC crank you just have to start with quality stuff to begin with. the Novarossi +4 is the most reliable engine I have ever seen with my friends motors going 10 to 12 gallons and Billy F. runs his for over 7 gallons before he sends them back to Novarossi and that is on a motor that goes over 10min on a tank so run time on the motor is way higher than a motor that gets 7min. I hope the o'donnell engine is reliable, I know it is fast at Silver State it was pushing the OD truggy at a super fast pace.
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #37
tp
Tech Adept

You should try the engine before you knock it.....
tp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #38
Tech Addict

I agree with marcus, ops/radical 621 are the most reliable engine that I ever had ,and It don't have dlc coating or ceramic bearing just high grade parts.also the nova plus 4 and nova p5 high grade parts. You dont need the parts more than you want those part to tell your buddys at the track to brag
v6shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp View Post
You should try the engine before you knock it.....
Who is Knocking, I think it will be a great engine ;-)
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #40
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

you dont NEED DLC or ceramics, but it's all performance improvements that has been proven to work. I'm not sure why everyone is against improving a good engine.

Vspec does just fine without those but with it there is an improvement. Most of us will never see the difference in real track.

I'm not knocking it. If it's built with attention like the buggy then it should be good. Good as Vspec that has years of proven track record?, we'll have to wait and see.
devilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #41
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilchrist View Post
This engine is still way too new for anyone to make a hard statedment saying it's durable or not.
Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilchrist View Post
this engine may be comparable to vspec, but NO way it would even come close to a speed motor. not in durability or rebuildability or power output, or fuel consumption.
Your words, not mine.
boostfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #42
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Just got mine and WOW factory settings are rich!! Enigine seem to have tons of pull all through the power band. So far so good or should I say great! I'll keep you all posted!!
"I know I can't drive!! You still ACT like you can!!"
JPierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #43
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Almost finished with break in an WOW!!! This mill is hot! When
will it stop pulling?!?! Temp is only 152f still have tons of needle for improvement but don't know if I'll need it. So in my opinion its a great mill at any price as for longevity... Only time will tell...
"I know I can't drive!! You still ACT like you can!!"
JPierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #44
Tech Elite

I speak to steve almost 3 times a week .Guys dont knock the motor until you try it and when you see what steve has done with his glow plugs and other stuff then you will know he doesnt cut corners and it will be a great motor.

Dont get me wrong all of you a great guys and i have the world of respect for Americans but come on your not all experts or engineers right?.Products are only as good as the person behind them and i know steve believes in his products and thats what makes odonnell unique.

IM sure the motor will be just as good or even better then anything else on the market today .

So dont knock it just enjoy it .

take care guys

Angelo
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #45
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

broke mine in yesterday, by the book. went to the track last night, but I could not stay and race just ran it a little, motor is smooth, almost to smooth, this may be a clutch and pipe issue also, running it in a 2.0t, temping at about 210 still a little fat on bottom, but no problem clearing the one big triple at the track. One other motor at track, he was at 250-260 with a ae 2035 pipe plenty o power in his xray, running with the speeds.
i was running a dyn. 053 with square header, will try 2060 and 2035 when I have a chance. setting were rich from factory and rich according to book , 2.5 out on top and 1.5 out on bottom. anyone who is running with good results post back with needle settings just curious where everyone is at " i know it won't be the same for everyone" just want an idea. if the motor is reliable and holds it's tune for 229.00 this may be a winner.

jlo
jlo8864 is offline   Reply With Quote