Search

High Downforce Wings

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default High Downforce Wings

Hey,

Currently I'm running the OFNA highdown force wing. It works great however the durability is extremely low. (yes I'm not a pro driver). A few flips and it always has stress cracks after a single race. I also like it because it comes in a high visibility Orange color.

Are there any other (ie J Concepts) high down force wings that have better durability then this one? And maybe come in Orange as well!

I know the original 8ight wing is super durable and I've never encounted this issue with it.. Of course it's not a high downforce one.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just got a himoto wing in orange from amainhobbies and its held up thus far. I haven't driven much with this wing though so I can't comment a whole lot on its durabilty. But I haven't seen any stress cracks yet.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The JConcepts wing is very durable in my experience. Losi wings are okay, just kinda plain.

Kyosho wings crack easily for me . It's a shame because I like the color choices that Kyosho offers.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

+1 for Jconcept wings.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

The JConcepts wing is the most durable wing Ive used. I think it makes more downforce than the others too.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

JC wing looks good and lasts nicely, but I still think that the Losi wing is the most durable. It has those big ribs that hold upper and lower part together nicely.

I personally don't like the high downforce wings. They don't really give you a lot more downforce but weigh much more... 20+ grams on the highest point on the car - really not a good thing if you wanna go fast
Old 05-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

You could try and boil that ofna wing in a pot of water for 10-15 minutes. I do this with my stock Xray wings and they last for quite a while. They may distort in shape slightly, but they don't break apart very easily thats for sure.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Hmm. Seems like JC is the way to go!

Thanks guys!
Old 05-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Tech Champion

Does rear wing REALLY affect the fly ?

My buggy can't jump high ..... the buggy seems to twist to left side ( heavy left ) when it jump high and far.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Yes it has a big effect on how your buggy jumps.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Prophet

j concepts wing is very tough and highdownforce wings make the buggy land a lot more level u can tell the diffrence between a downforce wing and a regular wing now i now somebody said the downforce wing slows u down i dint really notice that but it makes it more stable on the strights the thing i like about them is there is holes on the top of the wing so the air moves foward .
Old 05-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go take a look at an airplane wing. See the curve on the top, SMOOTHLY transitioned to the leading edge? The UPPER surface of the wing produces the lift, not the lower. (ok, they both produce some, but the curve of the upper surface produces most of the lift.)

Now look at a "high downforce" wing. Flip it over. See the lip along the front? That disrupts the airflow. (Regular wings have that too.)

A regular wing without the lip would probably produce as much or more lift than a high downforce one.

Do they help? Perhaps... but they have more in common with a parachute than a wing.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Go take a look at an airplane wing. See the curve on the top, SMOOTHLY transitioned to the leading edge? The UPPER surface of the wing produces the lift, not the lower. (ok, they both produce some, but the curve of the upper surface produces most of the lift.)

Now look at a "high downforce" wing. Flip it over. See the lip along the front? That disrupts the airflow. (Regular wings have that too.)

A regular wing without the lip would probably produce as much or more lift than a high downforce one.

Do they help? Perhaps... but they have more in common with a parachute than a wing.
Thats just what I'm starting to think about these hd wings. More than likely they produce more drag than acting like a wing.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I used the JC wing for about 1 year and it help up great and then sold it with a roller, now I've been using the Himoto V2 wing and it's holding up great as well, been using it since February and haven't had any problems with it.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT

so im looking at two wings one jc hd one AE rc8 wing the jc wing has a
big lip on the front edge the AE wing don't have a lip and i do notice
i think that my car was slower with the jc wing but was thinking that
my tune was off on the fat side so what if i was to grind the lip off
my be any thoughts or just go back to the AE wing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.