Starting a Nitro Engine (Drill Start)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starting a Nitro Engine (Drill Start)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Starting a Nitro Engine (Drill Start)

Ok so i grabbed a Nitro buggy from a forum member here a couple days ago, He said it was completely RTR all you have to do is hook up your cordless drill and start it up. Ok so i get it head down to the local hobby store. guy looks at car laughs and goes theres no way your getting your drill to that. Sooo Im like oh great i got ripped off. this car is literally doo doo. and i wanted to send it back to him nice and easy and just go grab a brand new car down at BPM hobbies buuuut hes making it tough idk why.

So without a starter box....because i do not want to waste money on this car. Is there any way i can start it up? but the whole back chassis is blocking the way for the drill. The engine is a sportwerks .26
Old 05-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Im sorry to hear this - some people are pricks. What buggy is it? Do it actually have a starter on the engine or is it for a bump box only.

If its for a bump box then just get a universal one and you can use that for your stuff in the future.

If not then you might just have to suck it up as a lost and just get a new buggy
Old 05-21-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You can only start a pull start engine with a drill. You need a socket that fits the one way bearing and an extension long enough to reach. I guess you might be able to do a roto start engine also if the extension will fit in your drill.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, first off the the man should not have laughed at your purchase.
What buggy is this we are talking about??

I am unclear why you cant get a drill to work. Is it because you don't have a long extension or is there just no way to feed a bit through the chassis. If it has a roto start system on it there should be a way to get on it.

You can look into a different roto start system but that is gonna set you back 50-60 bucks. I would go ahead and invest in a good starter box. You will be able to use this with anything you purchase in the future.

If you are getting into nitro you will not want a pull start or a roto start.
Bump box is the way to go
Old 05-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Tech Rookie

This came from RCCrazy Racer.
Its an ofna ultra mbx, he said he through on a sportwerks 26 on it. even if you had an extension long enough there is no way you can feed it through the back of the chassis. no possible way you are getting a drill through it. I want to just send it back to him and get my freaking money back but this guy is saying he didn't rip me off and stuff....the body doesnt even fit on the car. All I want to do is go buy the Ultra LX down at BPM hobbies for like 280$ but the guy isn't giving the money back, and not talking back to me about starting it, when he said a drill would start it
Old 05-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah i dont know what to do
Old 05-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

just get a bump box and run what you have.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

how much do you have in the car?

And where are you located?

Throw up some pics and I might just take it off your hands
Old 05-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Here is the car Ultra MBX
Attached Thumbnails Starting a Nitro Engine (Drill Start)-100_1984.jpg   Starting a Nitro Engine (Drill Start)-100_1986.jpg   Starting a Nitro Engine (Drill Start)-100_1987.jpg   Starting a Nitro Engine (Drill Start)-100_1988.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

Hey Nirto, I bought my 1st RC and its NIRTO. I got a RC 10GT. Saturday ( not even a week ago ) I bought it from him for $200. I drove it there and started it up. I brought it home and drove it. Sun it would start. Monday,Thuesday nothing at all. I took it to my LHS thuesday and they told me I needed a piston & sleeve. I got on here and listened to the people. Now I went to the LHS yesterday and they burnt up my drill I bought on monday. They took everything back and gave me my money back. I got a bump box. Fired on the 1st try without heat. I would get a bump box and a gel battery. I paid 120 for everything. I would get one. FAST AND EASY!!!
Old 06-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Initiate

will that work for my cen matrix c-1 with cen .28 big block motor i don't have a space to put the tip in dose anybody have any ideas and also i herd that it you spin the motor to fast it will tare the motor up
Old 06-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccrawlerboy
will that work for my cen matrix c-1 with cen .28 big block motor i don't have a space to put the tip in dose anybody have any ideas and also i herd that it you spin the motor to fast it will tare the motor up
Nitro motors can reach 30,000+ RPMs when running. Seems dubious that you could spin an engine fast enough to damage it when trying to start it.