R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-21-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default losi starter box question

first off please dont recommend a different box. im not looking for a new box i dont want a new box so if thats all you gotta say then you can save your time thanks

I have a losi starter box. i love it because all i do is drive losi stuff. i had the stock motors in there and they lasted a while but finally went out. i got the integy 55t motors and rewired it and they lasted for a while but i tried breakin a new motor n and they fried right away. i put a second set and they did the same thing. my dad bought a new box while my first one was gettin fixed and the stock motors are turnin my vspec and +4 that are gettin broken in just fine.

so i wanna get new motors for my old box. what are some good ones that will last a while and will not stress when turnin over a new motor. if the stockers will do it im sure there are others that will

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ofna 775's. Modding required

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13479

Or the TRAXXAS 775's im sure the mount will need to be modified for these as well.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/35466
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
Tech Champion

why does the ofna need mod?

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
Old 05-21-2009, 01:59 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
why does the ofna need mod?
I know that the can is bigger on the 775, not sure if the mounting holes are different. If I'm wrong about the modding I'm sorry, but I know those two motors are good. I would go with the ofna's just because I have a box with 2 ofna 775's and it will turn over anything!!
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:42 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Traxxas 23t motors w/ Dean's Wet Noodle... Problem free.

Losi 8ight Starter Box w/ Lipo

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Well I dont know why you are buring out so many motor in your box. I use the stock Losi motors and since the box first came out. one thing i notice at a local track was a guy turing his motor of like 30 sec at a tiime - this is not how the losi box was designed for. 2-4 sec incraments (spelt wrong).

I dont know about the others but i have 2 traxxas motors at home that I never put in the box, because you need a press in order to get the pinions on. But if you are hold the car down for more that 2 - 4 sec - you are going to burn out even the ofna motors.

my opinion and 2 cents
Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

I think the stock losi box motors are the cheapest and best way to go. I have two losi boxes. Both are rewired, deans connectors, soldered all connections, etc. One with the stock losi motors, and one with the motors out of an ofna truggy box. I prefer the one with the losi motors.

The ofna motors have more grunt, but don't spin as fast. The losi box is just fine with the stock motors if you break the motors in before putting a load on them, keep them clean, and don't abuse them, like Token was saying above.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
Well I dont know why you are buring out so many motor in your box. I use the stock Losi motors and since the box first came out. one thing i notice at a local track was a guy turing his motor of like 30 sec at a tiime - this is not how the losi box was designed for. 2-4 sec incraments (spelt wrong).

I dont know about the others but i have 2 traxxas motors at home that I never put in the box, because you need a press in order to get the pinions on. But if you are hold the car down for more that 2 - 4 sec - you are going to burn out even the ofna motors.

my opinion and 2 cents

The WTO k losi box sucks. Best mod is swap the internals of an ofna truggy box into the losi box. I know it's tight but it will fit. The ofna 775 motors will start anything. I recently broke in a new grp .28 and I never had to unstick the piston just bump and go. I also reccomend deans wet noodle and a 4s lipo I use the losi 2200 one. I tried to just upgrade wiring and lipo in the losi box and it still took a dump. So put the ofna in the losi if you have to keep the losi box. I modded the top of my ofna box to accept the alingment tabs from my losi box. So it starts the 8b&t no prob just like the losi box use to.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I keep hearing of this deans wet noodle. Is this something people make up themselves or can you buy it for the boxes ?
Old 05-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

It is 12 gauge multistrand flexible copper wire with a thick silicone jacket that is made to allow the high amp draw of the motors and bats to pass thru without much loss or excessive heat buildup. Most of you hobby stores carry it, amain has there own protek brand. Also use deans connectors and solder all your connections will help a ton. Also remeber these things were not meant to just grind it over on the box-if my motor won't start within 5-8 sec-theres a prob and it needs to be fixed
Sorry but I am tired of people on the net thinking the world is perfect and everything shold last forever no matter the circumstances
shady3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady3031 View Post
It is 12 gauge multistrand flexible copper wire with a thick silicone jacket that is made to allow the high amp draw of the motors and bats to pass thru without much loss or excessive heat buildup. Most of you hobby stores carry it, amain has there own protek brand. Also use deans connectors and solder all your connections will help a ton. Also remeber these things were not meant to just grind it over on the box-if my motor won't start within 5-8 sec-theres a prob and it needs to be fixed
Sorry but I am tired of people on the net thinking the world is perfect and everything shold last forever no matter the circumstances

+2

The guy that posted after me. + 1 - The OFNA motors dont spin as fast - and the Losi motors are cheaper. the other guy saying they suck - I dont know bro I run mine at lease twice a week. And brought one of the first ones and like I said before and shady said - 5-8 sec at a time. "Also remeber these things were not meant to just grind it over on the box"
Old 05-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
+2

The guy that posted after me. + 1 - The OFNA motors dont spin as fast
So I'm not the only one who thinks the ofna motors turn slow... Anyone else running into that problem?

Last edited by jkas10; 05-21-2009 at 01:50 PM.
jkas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Ofna truggy box no problems yet. They may spin a little slower but the torque will start anything. I have never had an engine not start with this box. I am about to break in a new OS speed will see how the truggy box handles that.

As for the deans wet noodle heres a link.-----> DEANS WET NOODLE

One package should be enough.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
first off please dont recommend a different box. im not looking for a new box i dont want a new box so if thats all you gotta say then you can save your time thanks

I have a losi starter box. i love it because all i do is drive losi stuff. i had the stock motors in there and they lasted a while but finally went out. i got the integy 55t motors and rewired it and they lasted for a while but i tried breakin a new motor n and they fried right away. i put a second set and they did the same thing. my dad bought a new box while my first one was gettin fixed and the stock motors are turnin my vspec and +4 that are gettin broken in just fine.

so i wanna get new motors for my old box. what are some good ones that will last a while and will not stress when turnin over a new motor. if the stockers will do it im sure there are others that will
TRAXXIS TITANS
Old 05-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #15
Tech Champion

idk why the losi motors burn out on me. i just bump the truck i dont let it run. i prime it so fuel already in the chamber and i bump it a couple times and its started. i love the losi motors, there fast and they turn over everythin i just dont wanna keep replacing them. the integy motors lasted a while. i know why the first set burned up(dad tried starting for 30+ sec.) but these new ones went out right away. the new box we have is stock except it has my lipo in it and its great. i may just go with stock