Wiki Posts
Search

Ofna Truggy Box 8ight Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default Ofna Truggy Box 8ight Mod

At a special request from a fellow RC racer, I have been asked to detail the Mod I performed on an Ofna Truggy Box to install the Losi top brackets.

1st you need a good dremel and plenty of extra bits.

Remove the top plate from the losi box and remove the plastic mounting brackets. Also remove the top of the Ofna box. As the 8's engine is more centrally located that most other vehicles slightly offset the center to the left of the box towards the starter wheel. Then align the top of the losi box to the Ofna box and mark with a sharpe pen. Get out your dremel and start at it. I did it all by hand, files and a dremel, If I had a machine shop it would have been much easier. Once you get it close try mounting the hardware and continue enlarging the holes until the losi hardware fits. The top of the Ofna box is thicker than the losi so where the back mount slides you will have to shave down the inside near the center slit so that the mount can slide. My box is a little rough and the circles are not exact but that does not seem to matter.

Be patient and take your time checking and re checking until the losi mounts will fit. I left the screws underneath on the back mount a little loose so it could slide easier. I would also suggest to order an upgrade skin for the box as you are bound to slip with the dremel and scar the blue finish. After you are all done test it and see if you need to move the starter wheel more towards center. I also had to move the motors more towards center and re-adjust the tension of the belt.

It does work beautifully and this thing will start anything. Recently I have broke in 2 GRP .21's, a GRP .28 and I am in the middle of a OS speed. Not once did the piston get stuck on any of these engines. I never had to use the screwdriver trick on the fly wheel to unstick the piston. I have also added a 4s lipo and deans wet noodle throughout to maximize the amp draw and prevent any problems at the track. So far this box has been bulletproof I absolutely love it, nothing even comes close.

Hopefully I have done a good job of explaining the mod. It was long and painful but I will never use another box to start my Losi 8

Here are a few pictures of the finished product.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (99%+)

Thanks alot For the write up bro. I hope to have my new ofna box here soon, and with lipo so I will have the same set-up as you.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jldjlaudio
Thanks alot For the write up bro. I hope to have my new ofna box here soon, and with lipo so I will have the same set-up as you.
No prob.