R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default steel vs aluminum flywheel

God help me if this has been posted somewhere but here goes anyway.

Im running the 8ight 2.0 with the stock aluminum flywheel. I am wondering what a steel flywheel would do different with it being heavier. Im still running the stock clutch set up but I am looking at my different options with it. I race on 2 different track surfaces, one is loose and loamy and the other is usually hard packed blue groove. Any and all responses are welcome.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer43 View Post
God help me if this has been posted somewhere but here goes anyway.

Im running the 8ight 2.0 with the stock aluminum flywheel. I am wondering what a steel flywheel would do different with it being heavier. Im still running the stock clutch set up but I am looking at my different options with it. I race on 2 different track surfaces, one is loose and loamy and the other is usually hard packed blue groove. Any and all responses are welcome.
I run the steel flywheel on my buggy and I can't say that I noticed any HUGE difference, but, in theory, the heavier steel flywheel will tame the engine down since it has to spin up the heavier rotating mass. The steel flywheel also creates more rotating inertia and may help the engine idle smoother.

All of this is probably negated if you run a lightened spur gear and lightened outdrives, etc...

Again, in theory, the heavier the flywheel, diffs, spur, brake disks, outdrives, wheel and tires, etc..... are, then the harder your engine has to work to spool up and break traction. the lighter all those things are, then the easier it is for the engine to get that drivetrain spinning out of control. If you are having issues getting the power to the ground, go with the steel - it can't hurt. It you have plenty of traction, you might try it, but problably will not increase performance.

There are a couple other threads discussing the steel vs. alum flywheel around and you might find more opinions if you can find the threads.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I figured there are other threads but unless you know exactly the title it will show 40-50 different threads and usually they are not titled in a way to go straight to it. Most the time it would take alot of reading but then still come up empty.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

No problem, bud. Not hatin' on ya, I just remember seeing it before so I figured someone might refer you to another thread.

I found these that might help:

losi steel flywheel or aluminum

Flywheel Alum vs. Steel??
Old 05-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Tech Legend

I`v only been able to compare the two on a CvR .12 but I can tell you with a steel flywheel your idle is improved the most .

Found the heavier steel does not really tame wheel spin or enhance the smoothest of the power very noticeably.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote