R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Follow the instructions that came with it. Both the lsn and hsn are set very rich. Your gonna have to lean both of them and get the idle correct also. Are you trying to break it in ?
Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah, sounds like it is just disgustingly rich.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Frosty, I have been preheating it prior to turning it over. Unfortunately I can't even get to the 30-50% throttle that you mentioned, I can't get off of idle. As I mentioned it'll idle fine after heated, but if I slowly roll on the throttle or blip it, either way, it'll die.

roadracer, yes, I am trying to break it in. unfortunately I can't follow the instructions that came with it, which say to drive it in a figure 8 pattern running slightly rich during break in. I can't do this because it won't accelerate from idle.

I'm in agreement that it's way too rich, I guess my question is, if I lean it out an hour at a time, do I concentrate on the low speed needle, the high speed, or both? How about the idle speed? Like I said, it'll idle fine once it's warmed up at the current setting. Once I get it to accelerate off of Idle I'm confident I can take it from there, but I've never had an engine that couldnt take off from idle. Thanks fellas for all of the help!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #19
Tech Initiate

Do the wheels turn at all? Are your brakes engaged?
jboehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice

The wheels turn fine, brakes and all linkages are set correctly. If I lift up car off ground while running the wheels will turn slightly while idling. Car rolls freely without any drag.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

Lean the bottom until you can get it moving, once you do that lean the top until you can keep it moving. You wanna aim for 190-200
Old 05-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Thanks frosty. It may be the weekend before I can get to it, but when I do, I'll report back. Thanks again for all of the help.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #23
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Mitch, don't go crazy with leaning out your engine..it cannot be more than 4-6 hours from factory settings to race tune..You should find help..if you keep leaning it, and its not running, than that is not the problem
Old 05-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

Does the Mach use a 3-needle carb? A mis-adjusted mid-rage needle will cause an engine to die when accelerating.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sorry to jump in on a thread, but seeing how we're on the topic... I'm breaking in a Novarossi limited using the heat cycle method. The engine doesn't idle well, it seems like its loading up on fuel and when I give it gas it will die. I can drive it fine, but when it idles when I temp it the idle will drop and sometimes die or die when I roll on the gas. Should I start leaning out the low end (what I think I need to do)? I did a quick pinch test and she wanted to rev to the moon. just looking for advise, I want to get 'er right. Temps have been around 210 with foil on the head.

To add, I double checked my needle settings with the nova web site and my low speed was leaning in at least one full turn if not more. (I assumed they were set from the factory) now I'm confused as to why during the pinch test the engine revved like crazy. if it was to lean it should have killed right away, right?

Last edited by Trail Bruizer; 05-20-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Trail Bruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #26
Tech Initiate

thats correct too lean would have shut off quick high reving pinch test is that it is fat on the bottom sometimes you can have the idle speed set too high and the bottom end needle really rich to compensate i would try lowering the idle screw and lean out the bottom end a little and get the pinch test into the 3 to 5 second range and you should be close from there
teamreidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:23 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default re

you are running nitrotane?if so your settings will be at least 6 hours leaner for some reason this fuel requires leaner settings
toofless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:41 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamreidy View Post
thats correct too lean would have shut off quick high reving pinch test is that it is fat on the bottom sometimes you can have the idle speed set too high and the bottom end needle really rich to compensate i would try lowering the idle screw and lean out the bottom end a little and get the pinch test into the 3 to 5 second range and you should be close from there

This is out of the tuning bible that is a sticky! I suggest you read teh tuning bible first then make some adjustments. Your issue is all outlined there with how to get your tune back in order.
www.rcgears.net, www.carcar.ca, www.karz.ca
Akhor is offline   Reply With Quote