Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Best .12 Engine for Jato >

Best .12 Engine for Jato

Best .12 Engine for Jato

Old 05-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Best .12 Engine for Jato

Hi, I am new here and have a Jato 2.5. I have basically just bashed it since I got it. My question is what is the best .12 engine to run with a single speed tranny. I don't want to break the bank. I will continue bashing and practicing but, would like to do some local club racing. Like I said, It doesn't have to be a high end 3 or $400 dollar engine as I will just be racing locally for fun but, I still want to be competitive. I have used the search and can't find what I am looking for. It would be nice if it was reliable, good on fuel, flat/linear power curve, and holds a tune.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My 2.5 ran like a raped mongoose in my Jato...

You could just do the single speed conversion and try it like that

Other than that, maybe look into one of the budget O.S. engines
Old 05-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Prophet

if your racing with the jato i would get a .12 dynamite platuim rotary carb trust me u dont want a slide carb i know the stock engine on that has a slide carb i drove it way to resprovto e rotary carbs are much beter for 2wd. the platuim is awsome it runs forever barely have to tune really and it runs good with a rpm pipe ,u proberty could use the stock flywheel but i would get a aftermarket non pullstart flywheel and your jato will be way lighter and do get rid of the carry handle to , i would get a ball diff but look for a aftermarket one there a lot cheaper, and a got set of tires u will keep up with the losi associated depending on your driving, and the platuim is 150 and it is super easy to tune
Old 05-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Prophet

do u have the stock servos in it , and get a single speed tranmission.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

why the single speed? wouldnt you want different gearing to be able to apply more torque at different speeds? also i know you said you want to go with a .12 but why not drop the TRX 3.3 in there, its a beast.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Don't need a ball diff for the Jato... You just need a lot thicker oil in the diff.

At least 5000k.

I'm running 120,000 weight oil in my diff... But that's for indoor carpet racing, and my inside rear tire lifts in corners... So I had to stop the diff from unloading
Old 05-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AWDdude
why the single speed? wouldnt you want different gearing to be able to apply more torque at different speeds? also i know you said you want to go with a .12 but why not drop the TRX 3.3 in there, its a beast.
Most 2WD stadium truck races require single speed transmissions.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I remember Sirio made a direct drop in for the 2.5 engine..I am pretty sure it fits the Jato also ..not sure if they still make it
Old 05-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

I'm pretty sure OS has one as well... I think there's a couple others out there, in the .12 - .15 category...

Everything else will be a .18 for the Revo/T-Maxx
Old 05-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, I drive alright and the 2.5 does run but, 1. I want it to be legal to race and on a shorter course the .12 will own the stock .15(2.5). 2. the 2.5 is way to much in the dirt at anything more than 1/2 to 3/4 throttle(want to be quick on the track not fast on the street).

Where is the best place to find a Dynamite and where can I find out more about it(any distributors on this forum.)

Single speed is race legal. Ideally, would want to top out right before the end of the back straight yet be a scalded cat off the corners.

I think I missed a response. Thank you everyone for the answers so far please keep the suggestions coming....

oh yeah stock servos for now but want to change to a 2.4ghz radio/receiver and new servos. The question is Futaba or Spektrum?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Prophet

the thing that sucks is a sirio engine when u need a rebuild it cost a arm and a leg to by a piston and sleve etc, why i dont know cause novarossi piston and sleve are a lot cheaper to rebuild
Old 05-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tc5 man
if your racing with the jato i would get a .12 dynamite platuim rotary carb trust me u dont want a slide carb i know the stock engine on that has a slide carb i drove it way to resprovto e rotary carbs are much beter for 2wd. the platuim is awsome it runs forever barely have to tune really and it runs good with a rpm pipe ,u proberty could use the stock flywheel but i would get a aftermarket non pullstart flywheel and your jato will be way lighter and do get rid of the carry handle to , i would get a ball diff but look for a aftermarket one there a lot cheaper, and a got set of tires u will keep up with the losi associated depending on your driving, and the platuim is 150 and it is super easy to tune
I have heard that but how does it work...I mean what are the difference in function from a slide?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Prophet

the rotary carb isnt as quick as a slide carb and a rotary carb isnt as smooth ,and the slide carb is more responsive to your throttle,on the slide carb you set your linkage up diffrent and u would set your throotle to reverse but i still goes foward, on a rotary carb u set up your linkage diffrent and u put it foward throttle on your radio.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Prophet

i would checkout www.gshobby.com and www.carolinasrc.com for the platuim
Old 05-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Rookie

I just checked out Dynamite's site. What is the difference between the SG and Standard Crank? I know the rotary carb will be smoother which is what I want(in theory). does anyone know what type of linkage I would need beings I have a ball end for the slide?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.